What pi$$es me off!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What pi$$es me off!

You have a perfectly functional Ups system that costs a prenium. You have an internet subscription that costs a premium, and 10 minutes after the power goes out you have no internet. Is there a technical point in your contract that you can tell your ISP to get lost and change to another ISP? Loadshedding is as much a part of our lives as going to the crapper at 6am. How can a ISP run out of power 10 mins into loadshedding? Finally fibre is coming to my street. Will they suffer the same demise as the wireless bunch?
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

17 Ranger Supercab Tdci (Sold)
    97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Default Re: What pi$$es me off!

I agree. Ours is about 3 hours into a 4 hour power failure. Not all the time. The cell network is the same. They should convert to Lithium Ion batts as backup
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Angry Re: What pi$$es me off!

When I called them I couldn't get through at first. eventually I got to speak to someone. Line was so bad I hung up. Try to get a rebate for downtime..... we have 2 business's running from home, and 2 more in starup phase. Without a proper internet connection you might as well go on holiday rather than spend time working.
    12 Conqueror courage

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    I agree. Ours is about 3 hours into a 4 hour power failure. Not all the time. The cell network is the same. They should convert to Lithium Ion batts as backup
    Monday 8 am I will visit my ISP personally. Maybe we can arrange an agreement of some sort for me to manage their power requirements. li-ion batteries with generator backup where needed. Minimum 18month agreement and I retire before 40. Life will be good.........
    12 Conqueror courage

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    The batteries get stolen. What do you do against that?

We need to understand that we all suffer from load shedding, including the network operators etc. When their infrastructure was developed, it was not designed to handle loadshedding and the frequency thereof. The batteries donít have enough time to recharge when the power is back on.

I think we should give these oaks a break. It is essentially not their fault.
    Sent from my iPhone

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

I dont agree. Its clearly a lack of planning and a possible disregard for upgrading their infrastructure as it would impact on profits.

I recall a local garage not being able to pump fuel during power failures and everyone just went to the next nearest with a generator. It was a week and the first garage had a generator.

The suppliers who have you on a monthly comtract have no incentive to upgrade. If it was pay per use then see how quickly they would have adequate contingencies in place
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

My 30k setup can support my whole house between loadshedding on stage 4. We are talking mega bucks on ISP terms. If they cant deliver, they should compensate for downtime, as they buy in bulk from larger companies like DFA. If DFA is the culprit, they claim, so why shouldn't the end user? I am in a service delivery sector (sort of) but don't get paid up front, and people find the shittiest excuses not to pay, or to delay payment.

My service provider has been in business for 11 years. Load shedding was very much a part of SA back then! Last year loadshedding was bad in the beginning of the year. I installed my UPS inverter setup in October, everyone said "you are crazy spending that much money, load shedding is over". I said suck it!

Sorry no break for ISPs. Deliver or discount for downtime/ release one from contracts due to non compliance/ performance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    12 Conqueror courage

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    The batteries get stolen. What do you do against that?
    Ever heard of off-site CCTV monitoring? With reactive security companies on call? I have a client that does that. If you are a cellphone/ ISP, and you get burgled, shame on you!
    12 Conqueror courage

Keep in mind that up time is 100% relative to the amount you pay. In our industry you will often see mention of 99% up time etc, now 99% sounds pretty good but that is a still down time of almost 8 hours in a month.

In a counter argument, if connectivity is so crucial to your business you should not rely on a single connection with no fail over onto a different service providers and network. In our business connectivity is absolutely crucial, we have two different fixed lines, one ADSL the other VDSL, on two different ISP's, and in case those go down together we fail over to a TelkomLTE connection (and we have two of those.)

If you are expecting 100% up time from your ISP I can assure you the cost you are currently paying will go up substantially, probably 10 fold.

100% up time cost money, there is no other way to put it. Any enhancement they have to do will filter down to your pocket, that is just how it works.

I am not saying you are wrong to expect better, but I think your expectations are not in line with the cost of the product.

16. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Solution for the change is called 30 day notice agreements. Never take longer. Anything longer is called marrying the ISP. Divorce as a resulting of "free" service/goods supply is expensive.

We have fiber. Fiber has been down very seldom due to power issues. Where the problem is that users do not have UPS for their router and for their box at the end of fiber. When the power comes on all of those users then try to connect and system is over loaded. I have 17Ah battery connected to an old UPS. Never an issue excluding SWAMBO who goes night time and switches the UPS off due to piping. Day time I can silence it by pressing a button. Night time I don't hear it.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

I found that i can have all the stuff to keep going during a power failure for a limited time, but if the other parties that we are dealing with are down , then its not really helping us any way too much.
    If it was just so easy and affordable for anyone to just get a solar panel , battery and inverter that can just supply the basic power needs for your comms,
    This would be good to go.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
    I found that i can have all the stuff to keep going during a power failure for a limited time, but if the other parties that we are dealing with are down , then its not really helping us any way too much.
    If it was just so easy and affordable for anyone to just get a solar panel , battery and inverter that can just supply the basic power needs for your comms,
    This would be good to go.
    I have power for the land line cordless but no landline. They stole some Telkom cable - big one on our area. Telkom moved the numbers to area "exchange" where there is no back up power = no phones. (Old exchange had back up). Switching over to ISP provided land line number works. At the main house most of the time cell phone towers are OK. At the cottage too much stealing. Some towers go down.

It is quite hopeless.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

We've got Vodacom, Telkom and MTN towers close by just north of the Magalies and I can assure you, none is working lately with in minutes after load shedding started

I am really gatv$l for this load shedding rubbish. Especially being on prepaid electricity and not getting what I already paid for
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    We've got Vodacom, Telkom and MTN towers close by just north of the Magalies and I can assure you, none is working lately with in minutes after load shedding started

I am really gatv$l for this load shedding rubbish. Especially being on prepaid electricity and not getting what I already paid for
    I think nobody could really foresee the magnitude of problems caused by Eksdom and their loadshedding. During 2008 my humble business experienced a severe cashflow problem due to late payments of my fees.

Nowadays i do not really have same cashflow problems, as i think my customers have in meantime sorted their payment procedures not to cause lenghty delays. Hats off to them.

What i am trying to say is that main culprit here is Eksdom.
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Keep in mind that up time is 100% relative to the amount you pay. In our industry you will often see mention of 99% up time etc, now 99% sounds pretty good but that is a still down time of almost 8 hours in a month.

In a counter argument, if connectivity is so crucial to your business you should not rely on a single connection with no fail over onto a different service providers and network. In our business connectivity is absolutely crucial, we have two different fixed lines, one ADSL the other VDSL, on two different ISP's, and in case those go down together we fail over to a TelkomLTE connection (and we have two of those.)

If you are expecting 100% up time from your ISP I can assure you the cost you are currently paying will go up substantially, probably 10 fold.

100% up time cost money, there is no other way to put it. Any enhancement they have to do will filter down to your pocket, that is just how it works.

I am not saying you are wrong to expect better, but I think your expectations are not in line with the cost of the product.
    I get what you are saying Dirk. To expect 100% uptime all the time is rediculous. I did fibre civil works for 2 years and I thoroughly understand how quickly something can go wrong.

My gripe is, loadshedding should not be an excuse. It has been around for 12 years, and will be for another 12 in my opinion. The technology exists to counter the downtime caused by loadshedding, albeit expensive. The problem comes when an ISP weighs up the cost vs the service they are willing to provide. I have understanding for fibre breaks and so forth. But loadshedding shouldnt be an excuse. When I called the call centre they were ready with the loadshedding excuse before they even asked where I was calling from. I am in Nelspruit and they are in JHB.

And comparing the cost of internet in SA vs the rest of the world, one would expect better.
    Problem is south africans have slowly become used to poor performance and service delivery. And the pay up-front companies are the real culprits. Even when I order materials I have to pay upfront, and it almost never arrives on time. I am the only one suffering getting paid late with unhappy clients.
    12 Conqueror courage

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Start your own ISP?
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

I thought it was only us that went down about 15 mins into loadshedding.

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    Ever heard of off-site CCTV monitoring? With reactive security companies on call? I have a client that does that. If you are a cellphone/ ISP, and you get burgled, shame on you!
    Imagine the cost that will be transferred to the user.

Then we will have you opening a thread why networks are so expensive. I think your argument wonít be cost effective and also is not guaranteed.

Down the line it will mean that networks need to have security companies on call, where these security companies are already thinly spread to cover normal day to day break-ins at house holds.

You have a client doing this, great - how big is this company, the same as these networks?
    Sent from my iPhone

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Imagine the cost that will be transferred to the user.

Then we will have you opening a thread why networks are so expensive. I think your argument wonít be cost effective and also is not guaranteed.

Down the line it will mean that networks need to have security companies on call, where these security companies are already thinly spread to cover normal day to day break-ins at house holds.

You have a client doing this, great - how big is this company, the same as these networks?
    My clients company is pretty impressive. I did their building kit out as they moved to a bigger premises. They had guys from china come in to do their tweaking on the systems. Its really not that expensive to have off site cctv monitoring. Initial setup of equipment can be less than a break in. They monitor the site, if something goes wrong they dispatch the closest security company. They are contracted to all the security companies for call outs. No aditional cost to the client. The savings from not getting robbed can outweigh the cost of off-site monitoring ten fold. But I guess then its an expense, whereas when you get burgled its an insurance claim. And screw your customers who doesnt have service, because hey, its south africa and we are used to crime.
    12 Conqueror courage

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post

I attended a conference last week where this subject was discussed. The guys with remote sites really have a problem with break ins. Often security cannot there in time to prevent the break in or to hopefully apprehend the thieves, even with camera monitoring. On some sites, when they see someone breaking in, they dispatch their technician with new equipment to restore the site, knowing that they will not get there in time.

At some sites they have double fence lines, just to buy time for reaction teams to get there in time.

The big guys like Vodacom lose millions in batteries. Our local towers are off when load shedding happens - no more batteries. They only dispatch a generator when the outage is longer due to some other outage. The only guys who manage to stay connected are the local WISPs and the only possible voice communication is via their connections using VoIP and apps like WhatsApp.

The problem is also our justice system. In Jhg, they have identified the same guys on camera breaking in. When apprehended, they get out on bail or are set free due to bungling of info by the investigating cops. This is big business in organised crime and our cops are not up to scratch to sort this.

It is a big problem. If your connection stays up for 15 minutes, then it indicates that the batteries are there, but are old and need to be replaced. Load shedding identifies these old batteries. It is a real challenge for ISPs, both cost and logistic wise, and I guess there will be areas where they will put up their hands and not replace back up batteries as they know they will be stolen again if they do. Unfortunately thieves will be able to break in, no matter what security measures are put in place, if they have time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast