My R4k loadshedding TV solution

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default My R4k loadshedding TV solution

Mecer inverter : R1700
    Jippo'd with 2x 622 batteries : R2300

TV is a Samsung 50" LED smart on eco setting.

It keeps TV, xplorer decoder and soundbar with sub box going the whole 2.5 hours.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My R4k loadshedding TV solution

I have a similar setup for my wifi and fibre device, but with only 1 battery

Only thing I worry about is the charging of the battery after usage.

For my 2 devices I dont expect problems as their usage is very very little.

I have a volt meter on my battery and see it go to 13.5 volts about 2 hours after load shedding.

Hopefully my battery doesnt get damaged
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 DI-D 4x4
    BL925 - Ratel 4

Ek was gelukkig nog nooit so lus vir TV kyk nie.😂 As hy af is is hy af.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bosvark Kzn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    I wish it was off now. The cricket is making me moody. Eish
    Dis waar😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Bosvark Kzn View Post
    Ek was gelukkig nog nooit so lus vir TV kyk nie. As hy af is is hy af.
    Dis maar meestal vir my beter helfte.

Ek lees meestal eerder as TV kyk.

Dis maar meestal vir my beter helfte.

Ek lees meestal eerder as TV kyk.
    Mens moet maar vir vroulief gelukkig hou, dan is almal gelukkig.💪🏼😀
    Hoop die krieket verbeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosvark Kzn View Post
    Ek was gelukkig nog nooit so lus vir TV kyk nie.�� As hy af is is hy af.
    Mens kan net vir so lank iets doen waar die ligte moet af wees

Wat doen jy die res van die 110 minute van load shedding?
    Last edited by Charlie100; 2020/02/21 at 09:06 PM.
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 DI-D 4x4
    BL925 - Ratel 4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie100 For This Useful Post:

Add solar....
    PM me if interested - I have a similar setup...

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

Mecer inverter : R1700
    Jippo'd with 2x 622 batteries : R2300
    It just hit me what you did. :-)
    What is the max amps that inverter can charge at? Reason I ask, and I stand to be corrected, I THINK they take 2 x 9ah 12v batteries?
    So you may be undercharging the batteries.

Also to keep in mind, and there are videos on YouTube, where guys do what you did. It works!

The caveat is that the UPS is not designed to run extended hours that bigger the batteries now allow it to do, the UPS's overheats internally.
    Have seen vids where they burst out in flames a LONG time ago when I investigated same. Issue becomes a problem when running too long on too high a load.

Just be aware of the above.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    I THINK they take 2 x 9ah 12v batteries?
    So you may be undercharging the batteries.

If they are using the above batteries then it means they can draw up to 80+Amps from the batteries. Quite a hard life for 9Ah and no wonder they tend to fail in a short period if used for LS to provide 1000W+.

Yes this is the problem with UPS.

As I have mentioned elsewhere in the threads we are more or less sorted for up to 4 hours daily load shedding to run ONLY two (small - not smart) TVs, decoder and a couple of LED lights. This is mainly for SWAMBO who is not that mobile anymore so spends a lot of time with her facebook group administration (tablet) and watching related TV shows and OF COURSE the $%%^%$ soapies.

My problem is the desktop PC setup which i use mainly during working hours since I manage my own investments and need to be online for news, financial updates etc, (and of COURSE this Forum
    I have a UPS and an anti-surge multi adapter but this lot only lasts about 20 min. then kaput and that's not even using the mono lazer printer.
    Anyone know what I could use to keep this running for at least two hours twice a day for example and get it re-charged ready for our next EKSDOM event?
    Obviously for me keeping the cost down is essential so cannot go for the Rolls Royce type solutions.

I have no idea how much power id drawn by the CPU, LED Screen, Scanner, router. I know the printer is a no-no when running on backup power.
    I am not gaming or doing any crazy graphics stuff, mainly online to my broker, bank etc, and spreadsheets, email.
    Any economically viable suggestions. (This would be a separate backup only for my little one man "office".
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2020/02/22 at 08:03 AM.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post

As I have mentioned elsewhere in the threads we are more or less sorted for up to 4 hours daily load shedding to run ONLY two (small - not smart) TVs, decoder and a couple of LED lights. This is mainly for SWAMBO who is not that mobile anymore so spends a lot of time with her facebook group administration (tablet) and watching related TV shows and OF COURSE the $%%^%$ soapies.

My problem is the desktop PC setup which i use mainly during working hours since I manage my own investments and need to be online for news, financial updates etc, (and of COURSE this Forum
    I have a UPS and an anti-surge multi adapter but this lot only lasts about 20 min. then kaput and that's not even using the mono lazer printer.
    Anyone know what I could use to keep this running for at least two hours twice a day for example and get it re-charged ready for our next EKSDOM event?
    Obviously for me keeping the cost down is essential so cannot go for the Rolls Royce type solutions.

I have no idea how much power id drawn by the CPU, LED Screen, Scanner, router. I know the printer is a no-no when running on backup power.
    I am not gaming or doing any crazy graphics stuff, mainly online to my broker, bank etc, and spreadsheets, email.
    Any economically viable suggestions. (This would be a separate backup only for my little one man "office".
    Apologies to OP if this goes a little off topic.

Peter, have you perhaps considered approaching your "office needs" from a different angle.

This might sound unorthodox but would solar be an option? A 380W panel can be had for R2200, perhaps even two with a small charge controller connected to a battery/s and then you have (with some losses) 250/500W available while the sun shines.

This could take care of your daytime needs.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bloudraad For This Useful Post:

90aH (loodkristal) battery in bakkie, 1 400W modified inverter, LED Staanlamp, Explorer, Samsung LED TV, 2 laptops (batterye volgelaai). Rol kabel van bakkie in die huis koppel bg en nog nooit pap geraak met loadshedding. Tydens langer kragonderbrekings laat luier die bakkie of gaan ry n ent

Quote Originally Posted by bloudraad View Post
    Apologies to OP if this goes a little off topic.

Peter, have you perhaps considered approaching your "office needs" from a different angle.

This might sound unorthodox but would solar be an option? A 380W panel can be had for R2200, perhaps even two with a small charge controller connected to a battery/s and then you have (with some losses) 250/500W available while the sun shines.

This could take care of your daytime needs.
    Yes I was guilty of going a bit OT!!!

Thanks - Food for thought. Would a single battery run the computer stuff without discharging much or are you saying that all or almost all the needed power would come from the solar?
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Peter can I offer my suggestion.

I am running a old Dell E5430 laptop and it uses 36W from the 12V side of my inverter. It goes up to 40W while scrolling. This is not a efficient laptop as the low energy laptops only came out much later.

If I add my Samsung 24 inch screen the power used goes up to 61W at worst during scrolling. 46W while viewing as per my picture of watts and amps.

This is may be about 25-33% what a desktop would use with 2 screens. This is a case where changing to lower cost equipment makes more sense than trying to add PV and storage to provide enough energy.

These older laptops can be bought for R3000 and even if their batteries are shot they cost about R600.

You could then easily use the laptop on its own battery or use it via a UPS or inverter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laptop01.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	559125

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laptop02.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	559126

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Eish, I am not a fan, but I have to be honest. (facepalm)

The cheapest 12/24v pure sine wave inverter you can get, the best value for money, is one from Voltronic aka Axpert. Not a clone of the Axpert, te real thing from Voltronic.

Some have a PWM controller, some a MPPT, to connect a panel or more, or not ... just let it be a UPS.

Alternative is a modified sine wave inverter, like the Ellies ones with 2 x 12v batteries.

Key here is to not skimp on the batts, get 2 x 105ah and not just 1, 12v or 24v configs. For most small loads, they can last 2 x loadshedding schedules.

Like for example here: https://www.solarsolved.co.za/index....axpert-range-5
    And here: https://thepowerstore.co.za/products...-grid-inverter

Inverter + fuses + 2 x 105ah batteries - that's all one needs.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Yes I was guilty of going a bit OT!!!

Thanks - Food for thought. Would a single battery run the computer stuff without discharging much or are you saying that all or almost all the needed power would come from the solar?
    The idea would be to rely on solar for the power to run the Pc and only use the battery/s as backup during short periods of intermittent cloud cover.

Perhaps hi-cycle batteries would suit this small setup best (larger current in and out) although the DOD would probably be no more than 25%.
    The controller cut-off should be programmable for this Voltage. (I imagine a cheap chinese 50A pwm controller. Mppt would be significantly more)

The more batteries added to the equation, the less stressed the system would be.

If you want power after dark I'm afraid you'l need to throw some more deep cycle batteries at it.

Ekkekan made a good point with regards to the power consumtion of a desktop VS laptop.

This could save you some Rands if only run during daytime and sunshine permitted, but would still need to be weighed against a simple ups/inverter solution.

If you invest some more cash you could probably set up a fairly future proof and expandable system, but if it is needed for the "here and now", it would probably be best to fork out as little as possible.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bloudraad For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bloudraad View Post
    Ekkekan made a good point with regards to the power consumtion of a desktop VS laptop.
    Yes, an absolute gem ito advice BUT, in my experience, if you have a working PC, to spend more money on a laptop, still using the same screen/s, how much are you really saving ito watts?

And on 2nd hand laptops, check the price for a new battery ... add that to the cost.
    And being PC user myself ... we don't necessarily like a laptop, or we would have bought one.

What I did was I got a Intel Xeon Server. I use it as my desktop, was cheap (R2500) when I bought it as old stock, not 2nd hand. It has one of those cases that goes in those cabinets in server rooms.
    Fans sound like a jet taking off when it starts, or when the processors run at 100%, till they calm down because the ambient temp is ok, and the processors are idling.
    It uses a little bit more power than a laptop yes, couple of watts more .. but the 2 x screens, they use more then the Xeon blade server.

My point being that it is a fine line of costs between lowering your power requirements with spending thousands on expensive low consumption units, if you could mitigate the heavier consumers with a lower interim cost of the addition of a battery or two, till you HAVE to replace that item.

Like replacing a working fridge / freezer with a A++ rated units. What are the actual costs "saved" in the end, versus 1) keep the fridge on Eskom or 2) off with load shedding or 3) get more batteries in the interim.

Any case, just some thoughts I thought to share having been through this maze full of potholes and choices that has to be made.

Part of my mentioning the laptop is Peter has already got a system that is good for 4 hours. He needs 2 hours and for the laptop would mean just 80Wh more bat capacity.

1. Could the present system not handle the 80Wh?
    2. 80Wh can be supplied by a 7Ah gate bat if discharged 100% which we don't want to do. If this bat is connected with the present system one could have the 80Wh needed for the laptop.

Cost is then the price of a laptop and if 2nd hand at worst R600 extra for a new battery which could be good for 3-4hours and would charge fully as the Lit-Ion charges quicker than lead acid would between LS sessions.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast