My R4k loadshedding TV solution - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: My R4k loadshedding TV solution

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    Yes, an absolute gem ito advice BUT, in my experience, if you have a working PC, to spend more money on a laptop, still using the same screen/s, how much are you really saving ito watts?
    1. So the laptop option could be R3000 and say it can run on the present 4hour back up system - it is only 80Wh more power.
    2. So add R600 and you get to R3600 and it can run on it's own battery.
    3. Buy a cheap R2200 UPS say Mecer or Ellies. Add 2 x 100Ah batteries R4000=R6200

The laptop option looks good for me. You get the lower consumption for the next few years even if there is no LS. 40W from laptop vs 150-200W from desktop. Buying a efficient newer laptop than my 14 year old Dell could mean the laptop uses only 25-30W each hour.

If you don't like a laptop then delete all that I have said.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/02/22 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    It just hit me what you did. :-)
    What is the max amps that inverter can charge at? Reason I ask, and I stand to be corrected, I THINK they take 2 x 9ah 12v batteries?
    So you may be undercharging the batteries.

Also to keep in mind, and there are videos on YouTube, where guys do what you did. It works!

The caveat is that the UPS is not designed to run extended hours that bigger the batteries now allow it to do, the UPS's overheats internally.
    Have seen vids where they burst out in flames a LONG time ago when I investigated same. Issue becomes a problem when running too long on too high a load.

Just be aware of the above.
    Just add a NL battery charger to fill up the 100Ah battery OR solar in between bouts of loadshedding.

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Subok For This Useful Post:

I have been using a 650VA Mecer UPS (probably about 10yers old) for 4 years now, connected with a 100Ah deep cycle, with solar and NL batt charger, depending on weather conditions. No issues. Keeping load below 500W.

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Subok For This Useful Post:

A lot of factors to consider here.

Very educational but also (for me) somewhat confusing.

Yes I used to have a laptop in addition to the PC desktop.
    I always preferred the desktop and really only used the laptop when out and about - I used to re-charge that on the same setup in the Suuz (Incidentally the inverter is a modified sine wave) without protest from the laptop.
    I forget now whether it was beer or coffee that the laptop did not enjoy and it was uneconomical to repair. It was already long in the tooth by then anyway.
    I had it fitted with the larger battery option.

At this stage I would prefer sticking with the PC since we are not travelling as much anymore and we have the tablets (Eish - I should rather have the laptop.)
    Maybe I will just beef up the existing system and add a separate extension lead to my PC set up?

I am having the house alarm and sub-alarm system backup battery and charger unit upgraded by ADT so that will run totally independently of the 1 000 W UPS and 1 000 W Inverter. ADT upgrade = R 2 300 installed with guarantee.

I will try to keep up to date with new comments on this thread since things change very fast these days.
    I will spend minimum now until the existing batteries die - then see what is best at that time. (Of course that could be sooner or later.)
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

I also vote going the laptop route. If loadshedding gets worse and you run out of UPS power you can still go much longer on the internal battery. It really is much more efficient than a desktop PC and there is nothing you're doing that you need a big PC for. You can use your existing keyboard and mouse with the laptop.

I have this old UPS, can I remove the old small batteries and connect the UPS to my 102ah deep cycle battery as well as my intelligence charger to spped up charge rate. Lastly is this a pure sine wave inverter, my Google searching has brought me frustrations. Thanks
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Unfortunately not. That UPS is a 36v system and not 12v.

That ups has a connection for extra batteries - 3 x 12v.

You will need to use an external charger for the additional batteries as a ups normally takes about 8 hrs to charge the 7ah - very slow.

You may find the current draw to be quite high but may be useful in powering lights, cellphone chargers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HobieDave View Post
    That ups has a connection for extra batteries - 3 x 12v.

You will need to use an external charger for the additional batteries as a ups normally takes about 8 hrs to charge the 7ah - very slow.

You may find the current draw to be quite high but may be useful in powering lights, cellphone chargers etc.
    So I have a useless ups if I read you right as I need a 12v system
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

The problem with a UPS they don't have smart chargers in, they charge at a constant rate and a small current. If you have two load shedding's a day you will sit with flat batteries the second time. My plan, I bought a 1000w Chinese inverter so cheap and small could not believe. From my camping I do have two 105AH high cycle batteries and a 25A smart charger for two batteries, you should use a 50A one for two batteries but my generator can only handle 25A. From there more batteries and chargers or a silent generator

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/22602-Hawkins-Smart-6-Chargers

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...99-Honda-EU10I
    Last edited by bertus; 2020/02/23 at 03:42 PM.

For a 12v solution, yes that ups is not suitable.

But it may be a jewel in the rough - the only way to find out is to use/borrow 3 batteries and test it. Here the batteries can be any size just for the test. A lot of ups's cannot start with a load but it can sustain a load if the mains switches off. Only testing can tell.

Why I like your ups, it is 36v so less amps going through the system so it will run cooler and extend your batteries life. It is already designed for additional batteries so more than likely the electronics will last longer as normal ups's are designed to sustain power for only 5 or 6 minutes.

If you can check the amount of current draw with the loads that you want, you can then determine the size of batteries to use. Thumbsuck - you may get away with using 3x 652 batteries for just a little bit more than 1x 105ah battery. Remember that an 12v inverter will pull a hell of a lot of amps from a battery so you may find that you may have to buy 2x 105ah batteries to cope. Only measuring will give true realistic answers.

1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2