Fortuner New Fortuner 4.0 4x4 Owner

Default New Fortuner 4.0 4x4 Owner

Life happened to me over the past 6 years and for the last 3 my only transport was my incredible and beloved 2005 Fiesta 1.4.

But then things take a turn for the better and I started looking for a 4x4 SUV again.

LandyAndy did me a solid with a "friends & family" price on his 2011 Fortuner (He has moved over to the Amatrok dark side and drank all the Cool-Aid) and I fetched the Frotuna in Durban on Friday.

Initially I hated it, the ride is terrible compared to the WK and the motor pales in comparison to the 200kw/620nm of the WK. But a bit of familiarity smoothed over the rough start.

The first 3 refills gave consumption figures of 5,7km/l, 7,2km/l and 6,7km/l. This is actually slightly better than expected as I caned the motor on the way back to the Highveld and spent most of the trip at 120km/h or slightly above. It has a full-sized Frontrunner roof rack, 3" lift and 265/70/17 tyres on which all influences the consumption.

As is it is perfect for the River Trip later this year, as it has an extra fuel tank, Wild Dog bumper and Stofpad rock sliders.

The cruise control is TERRIBLE - I HATE IT.

I would like to change the water pump and start running it on full synthetic oil - it has 170000km on the clock. Any opinions or suggestions? As well as a less restrictive exhaust system.

Driving back from Rametsi yesterday in the dark and with monsoon rain it really impressed me, as well as the office run this morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	559274

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	559275

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	559276

Name:	image3.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	559277
    Last edited by Rainier Vermaak; 2020/02/24 at 09:57 AM.
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Jeep.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New Fortuner 4.0 4x4 Owner

It's looking good - maybe I must take it back.......
    Andrew Beuster

Amarok milk bottle

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post

I would like to change the water pump and start running it on full synthetic oil - it has 170000km on the clock. Any opinions or suggestions? As well as a less restrictive exhaust system.
    Hello Rainer, I bought a Fortuna a few months ago, and loving it! Clocke over 12k in a few months!

Regarding the Less restrictive exhaust system, I removed my dpf/cat, and I feel a improvement on my pull away and cruising speed at about 120. Alot of people are very opinionated on this, but for me it is a definite yes. Not sure what restrictions the V6 has.

Also, I almost got stoned for wanting to use synthetic oil over at the Mitsubishi Forum (Bought another car for my brother). Im not sure how the fortuners will react to Fully synthetic. Ill leave it up to the experienced okes to answer that. I do not have enough experience with oil types to have a opinion on that.

Great looking Fortuna!

Edit: Spelling
    Last edited by Vormoto; 2020/02/24 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LandyAndy View Post
    How is it owning a Amarock Landy? Is it a v6 or its the biturbo 2.0?
    Matthew T Mutepfa
    ”don’t be too serious about it’s just life after all”

Quote Originally Posted by LandyAndy View Post
    Its because it is clean for a change.

The engine also got washed, looked like the Namib in there...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Dont arseaboot with oils, stick to the manufacturers specifications, they spend an inordinate amount of resources with engineers, Tribologists and lubricant companies to determine the optimum lubrication for their products. Or chat to SneakyPete, he worked with both Toyota and Lubricant companies on this type of work.

As for the Namib desert in the engine bay and it previously been owned by LandyAndy, for heavens sake and your own peace of mind, dont squirt Luminol on the interior

I have put those two words in Bold Italic so LandyAndy can Google them

You are welcome
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Dont arseaboot with oils, stick to the manufacturers specifications, they spend an inordinate amount of resources with engineers, Tribologists and lubricant companies to determine the optimum lubrication for their products. Or chat to SneakyPete, he worked with both Toyota and Lubricant companies on this type of work.

As for the Namib desert in the engine bay and it previously been owned by LandyAndy, for heavens sake and your own peace of mind, dont squirt Luminol on the interior

I have put those two words in Bold Italic so LandyAndy can Google them

You are welcome
    Well, he took off the seat covers and handed them to me very gingerly, when I opened them up they were 50 shades of grey...

In Aus it seems they spec full synthetic oil for the engine. Will chat to SneakyPete.

That also gets me, other countries spec full synthetic but SA not ? Is it cost ?