GV shocks and?

Thread: GV shocks and?

Question GV shocks and?

Greetings.

Please meet Tsunami (Or Salami as the wifey calls it). Its a 2012 model with the 3.2 engine which I purchased a little while ago.

It has some bash plates installed, but after a recent river crossing I realize it definitively needs a bit of a lift as well. As a result I have ordered a 40mm spacer lift kit.

At 120000km, what else would you recommend I change while installing the lift? From research on this forum I gathered that I must at least change the shocks and strut bearing? What else?

And is the dealers the best place to purchase from?

Thanks for the help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	salami1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	559000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	salami2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	559001  

Default Re: GV shocks and?

Following considering a lift kit is in my near future.

At 120k km definitely change all 4 shocks, they are not expensive. You can buy at midas / naskar and have them and lift installed at a supaquick or similar. Definitely dont buy shocks from dealer. Kyb is the OEM original brand. You'll get these at the part shops. The midas in centurion quite good, and the menlyn naskar.

Not much else to replace at those km unless it has to do with brakes or something else.

After fitting lift, keep an eye on the control arm rubbers. Check perhaps with every service. Replacement s can be ordered from www.rockauto.com

Seeing as you are in Centurion, by the lift kit from Stofpad. Uys the owner is a forum member and is in Centurion. I have had his kit in my gv for 130k km plus no problems.
    Last edited by GKE; 2020/02/22 at 06:37 AM.

Thanks for the suggestions. Stofpad kit ordered.

I see what you say about the dealers, they want just under R10k just for the two front shocks. Will shop around for the KYBs.

I would roll around underneath your GV and see if any of the diffs etc., show any seepage, I know there is a drive-shaft seal that sometimes leaks? But you will spot it and can be replaced without too much stress.

Apart from that - we have the bash plates, a 40mm Stofpad lift - I also added a pair of Bridgestone Air Helpers for the back - just to help the levelling under load, but they do make the ride quite harsh if the back is empty as they need to have some air (5psi minimum) to stay in place.

Brilliant vehicle, we have 145k km on our 2.4 Manual now!

2013 GV called James....
    Wizerd 40mm Lift
    Wizerd Underwear
    FR Slimline Roof-Rack
    FLI Rims & Grandtrek AT3's

Quote Originally Posted by ClimbingTurtle View Post
    I would roll around underneath your GV and see if any of the diffs etc., show any seepage, I know there is a drive-shaft seal that sometimes leaks? But you will spot it and can be replaced without too much stress.

Apart from that - we have the bash plates, a 40mm Stofpad lift - I also added a pair of Bridgestone Air Helpers for the back - just to help the levelling under load, but they do make the ride quite harsh if the back is empty as they need to have some air (5psi minimum) to stay in place.

Brilliant vehicle, we have 145k km on our 2.4 Manual now!
    Thanks. What size tyre do you use with the FL1 rims and 40mm lift if I may ask? Do you have a photo perhaps?

Has anyone recently sourced KYB shocks in Centurion/Pretoria for the GV? I am having trouble sourcing the front struts. The rear shocks are plentiful.

Hi, got mine like a week ago from Midas Waverley allso for a V6 GV. Have not replaced it yet, waiting for strut bearings from Suzuki. Front struts were R 1350 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Roverland View Post
    Hi, got mine like a week ago from Midas Waverley allso for a V6 GV. Have not replaced it yet, waiting for strut bearings from Suzuki. Front struts were R 1350 each.
    Thanks! Ill give them a call.

Ask to speak to Jurgens

Thumbs up Re: GV shocks and?

Just an update.

I managed to find the shocks at Frontline Midas in Zwartkop. Totally by chance I took a different route to work and saw them hidden in a side street. Called them just to check since they are much closer to me than Waverley. They said they do not have it in stock but will get it for me same day (This was last Friday). 3pm They let me know they have it and 3:30pm I have the shocks. Fantastic service and their prices were great.

In summary I went from R10000 at dealers, to R6000 at 4x4 fitment place to R3200 at Frontline Midas. I am pretty happy right now.

Next up, the strut bearings.
    Last edited by nomie2; 2020/03/16 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nomie2 View Post
    Just an update.

I managed to find the shocks at Frontline Midas in Zwartkop. Totally by chance I took a different route to work and saw them hidden in a side street. Called them just to check since they are much closer to me than Waverley. They said they do not have it in stock but will get it for me same day (This was last Friday). 3pm They let me know they have it and 3:30pm I have the shocks. Fantastic service and their prices were great.

In summary I went from R10000 at dealers, to R6000 at 4x4 fitment place to R3200 at Frontline Midas. I am pretty happy right now.

Next up, the strut bearings.
    Very nice - it definitely pays to shop around. I had one Midas branch telling me R695 each for the rear shocks, not prepared to negotiate - in fact they were trying to help me, and I didn't have to buy them if I didn't want to . Went to a different branch and got them for R595 each - because they wanted to keep my business .

If you shop amazon, I can recommend these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is a strut bearing and strut mount complete replacement for just over R1000 incl. shipping and import costs. I believe the strut bearings from Suzuki alone are around R450 each right now.

Last edited by daveysmith; 2020/03/16 at 01:04 PM.

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

Thanks for the info. Yes local Suzuki around R350 per strut bearing and R1400 per strut mount.

I must have a nice smile, my Midas asked me R 515.00 per rear shock.

Yup, just paid just over R700 for two pieces of plastic AND I have to wait 21 working days for them.