Jimny Dual Battery

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jimny Dual Battery

Hi,

Has anyone fitted a second battery in the engine bay of a Jimny?
    Is this even possible? Not much space in there is there.

Thanks
    Last edited by kippie2; 2017/01/11 at 11:26 AM.
    2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    2012 GWM Steed 5 DC 4x4 TCI - Sold
    2002 Isuzu Frontier 280dt LX 4x4 - Sold
    2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 3dr - Sold

Default Re: Jimny Dual Battery

I have a dual battery, I there isn't enough room for anything worth fitting inside the engine bay.

I made a battery box with solenoids and placed that in the back of the jimny as I have no back seats.

Wizerd fitted mine in the engine bay. He managed to squeeze a 50Ah battery in there. I found that it was more than adequate for my needs running a 40l fridge.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

Thumbs up Re: Jimny Dual Battery

I am receiving my battery plate from Jackal on Saturday. I have the older pre-facelift model. The fitting of a battery is a lot cheaper. Muzz (Murray) and myself had it done at the same time with the same vehicle. Jackal also have a plate for the post 2012 version. Will be fitting my plate and battery before month end and post some images once completed.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StefanDB For This Useful Post:

Managed to get a 65amp/h battery in, but it has to be a lead crystal because it sits at an 18 degree angle to fit under the bonnet.

Default Jimny Dual Battery

Managed to get a 65amp/h battery in, but it has to be a lead crystal because it sits at an 18 degree angle to fit under
    Last edited by Muzz; 2017/01/11 at 02:25 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Muzz For This Useful Post:

Thanks all,

My uncle have bought a Jimny and a Gas/12/220 fridge but he is concerned about what happens when the vehicle stands for 4-5 hours and he isn't going to setup the fridge outside on the gas.
    I think a 50AH would work perfectly for his application. Where can he get a battery plate from? He is on Kzn south coast so anywhere in Durban and surrounds would be ideal.
    2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    2012 GWM Steed 5 DC 4x4 TCI - Sold
    2002 Isuzu Frontier 280dt LX 4x4 - Sold
    2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 3dr - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
    Managed to get a 65amp/h battery in, but it has to be a lead crystal because it sits at an 18 degree angle to fit under
    Looks awesome. Did you have to do any modification on the aircon or whatever pipe that is by the battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
    Managed to get a 65amp/h battery in, but it has to be a lead crystal because it sits at an 18 degree angle to fit under the bonnet.
    The guys with the newer shape (scooped bonnet) can fit a much bigger battery.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to StefanDB For This Useful Post:

Yeah unfortunately we had to fit to the shape for the pre-facelift model. As the battery had to be under 180mm high, that is the only battery we could get in that size spec. The facelifted fits a bigger and cheaper battery however you could fit a smaller battery in that plate as well, as it's a more common size.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanDB View Post
    Looks awesome. Did you have to do any modification on the aircon or whatever pipe that is by the battery?
    Not at all hey I'd only put some padding between the air con pipe and battery as they do rub. I did some hectic roads near Barberton over the Christmas period without though and it was hundreds

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Muzz For This Useful Post:

We camp for a couple of days at a time an a 50ah wasn't big enough for us so I fitted a 105ah in the back, and then got 2x 80w solar panels, over night running the fridge and the freezer drains the 100ah to about 40%charge, we also run lights and things, hence the need for the bigger battery.

Yeah I suppose that's the bonus of the lead crystal is that you can discharge it more. They say it's safe to fully discharge them however I wouldn't go past 80% in practice. So I have 52 usable amps from a 65amp lead crystal battery as opposed to 39amps from a 65 lead acid battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny_Cricket View Post
    We camp for a couple of days at a time an a 50ah wasn't big enough for us so I fitted a 105ah in the back, and then got 2x 80w solar panels, over night running the fridge and the freezer drains the 100ah to about 40%charge, we also run lights and things, hence the need for the bigger battery.
    Which fridge do you have? Sounds very quick for a 100Ah to drain. We used to camp with National Luna 40l for up to 3 days without starting the car or solar panels with no issues and this was on 80 odd Ah standard start battery of Hilux. Something seems off.

2011 Suzuki Jimny
    8)
    Modified and Optimised
    Chipped Tuned and Lifted
    Lots of weekend DIY stuff

Ex SJ410, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by snyk View Post
    Which fridge do you have? Sounds very quick for a 100Ah to drain. We used to camp with National Luna 40l for up to 3 days without starting the car or solar panels with no issues and this was on 80 odd Ah standard start battery of Hilux. Something seems off.
    It's a snowmaster 70lt fridge freezer, it was running on max the whole time as people were in and out of it all day getting cold drinks etc.

I also have a 100aH battery that I charge with one 80W solar panel & Ellis 20amp Charge Controller. That goes in my tent if I am roughing it where there is no electricity and I have never run out of battery. Over Christmas we had bad weather and I ran a bit low due to limited sunshine. I use a Waeco CF60. I also have a TES 15amp regulator which I am going to fit to the battery in the engine bay so I can charge from solar should I need to (I don't really trust it but bought it before I bought the 20amp).

21. The Following User Says Thank You to StefanDB For This Useful Post:

I also have a 102 amp in the back in a DIY battery box with two nice thick cables to the front battery with a switch. Been running it for three years now without any hassles. Just remember to disengage the back battery when stopping. It like a habit now...

I've found that an hour or two's driving is enough to keep the battery topped up for my 45L campmaster running at around -2 to -4.
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

Quote Originally Posted by StefanDB View Post
    I also have a 100aH battery that I charge with one 80W solar panel & Ellis 20amp Charge Controller. That goes in my tent if I am roughing it where there is no electricity and I have never run out of battery. Over Christmas we had bad weather and I ran a bit low due to limited sunshine. I use a Waeco CF60. I also have a TES 15amp regulator which I am going to fit to the battery in the engine bay so I can charge from solar should I need to (I don't really trust it but bought it before I bought the 20amp).
    My concern was that over December we went to the drakensberg for 14 days with no power and saw the weather was not gonna be great so I was worried. Also we packed everything in the fridge and freezer warm so the fridge freezer was running continuously for trying to get to temperature. So after the first day the batt was already quite low, and then with bugger all sun for two days the solar panels were rendered pretty much useless. I did have a second third battery in my trailer but couldn't connect it (poor last minute planning) the Anderson plug I bought didn't come with terminals. Only managed to find a place after boxing day to connect the trailer and jimny together so I could use all 200amps. After that I was good, I think next time I put the fridge on before we leave so that it gets to temp using eskom... Lesson learned

My concern was that over December we went to the drakensberg for 14 days with no power and saw the weather was not gonna be great so I was worried. Also we packed everything in the fridge and freezer warm so the fridge freezer was running continuously for trying to get to temperature. So after the first day the batt was already quite low, and then with bugger all sun for two days the solar panels were rendered pretty much useless. I did have a second third battery in my trailer but couldn't connect it (poor last minute planning) the Anderson plug I bought didn't come with terminals. Only managed to find a place after boxing day to connect the trailer and jimny together so I could use all 200amps. After that I was good, I think next time I put the fridge on before we leave so that it gets to temp using eskom... Lesson learned
    That is the problem right there. I pre-freeze and get the fridge on the correct temperature before I pack it. Helps a lot. Even packing water bottles at room temperature gives you a huge fluctuation in temperature and the pump needs to work overtime. I bought a monocrystaline panel as I read that it does better in low light situations.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to StefanDB For This Useful Post:

Another thing. Your panel needs 100% sun cover. Even 5% shade on the panel drops the efficiency down to half of what it can put back into the battery.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to StefanDB For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast