Add what you want to my outlander

Default Add what you want to my outlander

I've been thinking a lot recently (can be dangerous). So I've been playing with an idea of a longish/shortish road trip with the outlander. Maybe only about 2 1/2 weeks or so coz bills still need to get paid. I would like to go up the west coast maybe up until namibian northern border area then back down inland into the Karoo or Sani pass towards Durban then back to cape town along the eastern cape coast. Well, that the idea anyway.
    My outlander is pretty much standard besides a new set of GY wranglers.

What else would you consider adding to it to make the trip more comfortable, convenient or safer? I'd also like to take on some gravel or sand during this time.
    2 adults 1 kid, would probably only stay at built accommodation places along the way coz swambo is proper [email protected]#_-_#l of camping having grown up in a fishing family.
    So help me kit (or not) my vehicle. Btw, budget is a real concern so I don't wanna spend another 20k kitting a mainly city driving vehicle.
    .....and go.....
    Last edited by Nabs; 2020/02/20 at 01:02 PM.

Default Re: Add what you want to my outlander

A good sound system?
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Frotuna.

Seems I good to go then. Standard Rockford system is pretty decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    A good sound system?

Been looking around on Google maps. How about cape town to luderitz or henties then gabarone, then maseru, then Karoo, then Mossel bay, then back to cape town?

I have an Outie and i cant think of anything it needs.Its built for sand and gravel roads.

If I was you i would only invest in a proper tyre pump and stuff to patch wheels with like tubeless plugs and the tyre seal cans.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

My recommendation would be some underbody protection on the Outlander. I damaged my propshaft doing trails in Lesotho with my Outlander when the roads were not tarred.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to husainw For This Useful Post:

Maybe just have the central viscous coupling checked before you start the trip. Friends of us toured the whole country with one and that was the only issue they picked up. The unit seized resulting in two tyre delaminations. Except for that should be able to go most places with the appropriate caution.
    Always take the slow road.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gootka For This Useful Post:

Awesome. Now to start planning the finer details with swambo

Small update on planning. I've sort of figured my route thus far but now I'm stuck. I've worked my all across Namibia and Botswana and into Maseru. Now here's the confusion. I would leave Maseru and go towards Buthe Butha and then onto Sani mountain lodge for a night or two before making my way down to port Shepstone. Ideally I would have like going up Sani pass rather than just going down towards the coast. Am I going to miss the best part doing it this way or can someone suggest a better route from Maseru then going up the pass somehow and down again?Name:  Screenshot_20200224-230353.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  26.5 KB

If it's the newer model with the two jump seats in the boot, consider removing them for extra space. With the second row of seats flat, we can fit up to eight ammo boxes in the rear of our Outlander with plenty of space on top for other gear, and it makes packing and unpacking camp sites a lot easier and more manageable. Puncture kit and compressor essential, and keep your weight in front of the rear wheels, because as you know, the tail tends to hang up on the smallest of obstacles, so keep the weight away from it.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    If it's the newer model with the two jump seats in the boot, consider removing them for extra space. With the second row of seats flat, we can fit up to eight ammo boxes in the rear of our Outlander with plenty of space on top for other gear, and it makes packing and unpacking camp sites a lot easier and more manageable. Puncture kit and compressor essential, and keep your weight in front of the rear wheels, because as you know, the tail tends to hang up on the smallest of obstacles, so keep the weight away from it.
    Thanks for the input. I don't have any jump seats because thise are useless and in love the amount of packing space in the back. I have 4 ammo boxes already but may get 2 more. Swambo not impressed that 3/4 boxes contain my fishing things so I need to cut down to the basics on that.

Maybe look at doing a DIY type roof rack to the standard roof rails?

The extra packing space is always a good thing for overlanding
    2000 Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i
    2016 Ford Everest 3.2Tdci XLT AWD A/T

Always go for the deepest mud, muddy stories make the best memories!