Camping in KNP - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Camping in KNP

Default Re: Camping in KNP

Quote Originally Posted by Oubie View Post
    I think if you read it rather to be a "don't" than a "check this out!", then it's actually very good advice.
    Thank you Oubie... itís not advise ... but after a braai, where do you put the left over bones?
    I put mine In a bin ... and we move the bins to a place where hopefully critters donít reach ... but our honey badger friends get in an no matter what.
    20 Land Cruiser 200
    12 Discovery 4
    07 Toyota Prado
    98 Isuzu 320 V6 4X4
    98 Colt Rodeo 4x4

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Skukuza95 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philip72 View Post
    There is a serious comprehension problem on this trread at the moment😂😂😂
    Terrible right? Everyone knows that if you want to attract a Honey Badger you leave out some HONEY, not chicken bones!

Tic of course...
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skukuza95 View Post
    Thank you Oubie... itís not advise ... but after a braai, where do you put the left over bones?
    I put mine In a bin ... and we move the bins to a place where hopefully critters donít reach ... but our honey badger friends get in an no matter what.
    You put your bones in a bag and put that bag in the boot of the car at night ..otherwise the Badgers will get it ..Thats why Tamboti camp looks like a rubbish tip as folk dont outsmart the mainly nocturnal badgers ..Next morning put that bag in the normal Bins which are cleared a couple of hours later

At Shingwedzi, The S56 Mphongolo loop. Drive slowly, check the riverbed thoroughly. That road can be absolutely magic. Also one of the prettiest roads in Kruger.
    Best Road in Kruger

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    There is plenty to see in the 'Boring North 'Attachment 558873Attachment 558874Attachment 558875Attachment 558876Attachment 558877Notice the lack of tar roads and traffic. The pic of the lions in the dappled shade is that of the Largest pride of lions in Kruger ..over 30 lions known as the Boyela Pride. The North also has the biggest concentration of Tuskers in Kruger. The most Mega herds of Buffalo (Over 1000 Buff in a herd), The Only area in Kruger to relably see rarities like Roan , Eland, Tssessebe The best birding Region in Kruger and Punda Maria has 6 or 7 Floral Biomes in the area so its definitely not just Mopani ..Mopani and more Mopani etc. I go to the north to see lions and I get them on lonely dirt roads on my own in 90% of the time. The North is prime Big 5 Country ..the real Kruger.
    Being the boring person that I am, we are heading off to Punda on Wednesday till Saturday. I love the North, but this will be my first Punda camping trip. Shingwedzi and Tzendse are my favourite Kruger camps. I'm worried that Punda might dethrone Shingwedzi. Crooks corner is going to be awesome, they had good rain last week. Fever tree forest, pafuri. The north is for seasoned kruger visitors that dont just chase after the big 5. We enjoy the birds and the trees and the rare antelope species. Where you can spot a herd of 500 buffalo from 5 km away by the dust in the air.

For the OP, stay at lower sabie. Great game viewing and all the amenities you could ask for. If you can manage to get space.
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

17 Ranger Supercab Tdci (Sold)
    97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    The north is for seasoned kruger visitors that dont just chase after the big 5. We enjoy the birds and the trees and the rare antelope species. Where you can spot a herd of 500 buffalo from 5 km away by the dust in the air.

For the OP, stay at lower sabie. Great game viewing and all the amenities you could ask for. If you can manage to get space.
    I wouldn't say we are seasoned visitors nor even seasoned campers.

I initially wanted to book accommodation in Marloth Park as we know people there that has a house. SWAMBO however insisted that we camp inside KNP to experience the real KNP and to hear lions at night for example. The boys are bigger so they will enjoy it as well.

I booked late and could not get space in the Central and Southern camps.

Whilst we don't necessarily have to see the big 5 the whole time, I am a little concerned about not spotting as much animals as I would in the South. I will mainly stick to roads near the rivers/waterholes which should deliver good results.
    2020 Ford Everest XLT 2.0 (Swambo)
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Letaba is a good one especially for young boys, Elephant hall, pool and walks along river. Camping amongst the mopani with its holes and cracks with all manner of creatures to be discovered (scorpions, spiders, monitor lizards, nesting birds), I take a bocce set along and there is enough space to play a few rustic games. Decent drives for morning and afternoon drives as well as opportunities to go to Satara area etc for day. Have been blessed with good sightings in area.

Shingwedzi also one of my favourites, especially over Sep / Oct, Mphongolo loop is an amazing drive and the little pools of water attract lots of animals. Red rocks and Kanniedood dam drives also good. Pool for kids and also nice spread out campsite (bocce also possible), love camping under trees on fence to right of pool.

Have personally never struggled finding plenty nice sightings up north.. Especially in September. Just stay close to water and don't be in a rush.

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6.
    2003 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 - Surprisingly capable
    1996 Suzuki Samurai - work in progress

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip72 For This Useful Post:

At Shingwedzi, The S56 Mphongolo loop. Drive slowly, check the riverbed thoroughly. That road can be absolutely magic. Also one of the prettiest roads in Kruger.
    The best, I can vouch for that
    Just remember, that time of year you might, you will actually experience at least 24 hours of gale force winds plus a heatwave.So be at a camp that is well protected from wind, and close to a swimming pool for the kids.
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobertT View Post
    Letaba is a good one especially for young boys, Elephant hall, pool and walks along river. Camping amongst the mopani with its holes and cracks with all manner of creatures to be discovered (scorpions, spiders, monitor lizards, nesting birds), I take a bocce set along and there is enough space to play a few rustic games. Decent drives for morning and afternoon drives as well as opportunities to go to Satara area etc for day. Have been blessed with good sightings in area
    Letaba is a beautiful camp with lots of space!!As mentioned, do not forget to take a UV torch with - the 'game' viewing on foot in the camp at night is really a great experience!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ELU View Post
    Letaba is a beautiful camp with lots of space!!As mentioned, do not forget to take a UV torch with - the 'game' viewing on foot in the camp at night is really a great experience!!!

And LOTS of shade!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew123 View Post
    I wouldn't say we are seasoned visitors nor even seasoned campers.

I initially wanted to book accommodation in Marloth Park as we know people there that has a house. SWAMBO however insisted that we camp inside KNP to experience the real KNP and to hear lions at night for example. The boys are bigger so they will enjoy it as well.

I booked late and could not get space in the Central and Southern camps.

Whilst we don't necessarily have to see the big 5 the whole time, I am a little concerned about not spotting as much animals as I would in the South. I will mainly stick to roads near the rivers/waterholes which should deliver good results.
    You will enjoy it no matter where you go. First timers always have a good time. Seasoned knp visitors have favourite spots. I prefer some places over others but there isnt a single spot i hate.
    Dont think the south is populated with game like in a serengeti movie. We have dirven there for hours on end seeing the odd elephant and some impala as well. Other days we do the big 5 before 9am. Luck of the draw. I noticed around a full moon you see less animals, because the animals are more active at night amd rest durimg the day. Also a sudden drop in temp or wind amd you might as well go have a braai at camp. This goes for anywhere in the park.

Dont put too much thought into it, just go and enjoy. Just remember a fan for the tent, backup jersey for the evenings, swimwear and binoculars. Just do it.
    12 Conqueror courage

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

You will enjoy it no matter where you go. First timers always have a good time.

Dont put too much thought into it, just go and enjoy. . Just do it.
    Agreed. Really looking forward to this!!

Just going to take it as it comes.
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Not too happy at this point.

My director decided that he wants to take leave on the same time as this trip was planned for so my leave got cancelled. He does not even have any plans yet nor does he have children so he could go any time whereas I can only go in school holidays. Seriously bummed.

Is there anyone that wants these bookings?

Deposit to be paid by the 18th of this month.
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew123 View Post
    Not too happy at this point.

My director decided that he wants to take leave on the same time as this trip was planned for so my leave got cancelled. He does not even have any plans yet nor does he have children so he could go any time whereas I can only go in school holidays. Seriously bummed.

Is there anyone that wants these bookings?

Deposit to be paid by the 18th of this month.
    What an ass!

Just get a new date and move your booking. Sanparks is not difficult in this regard.
    12 Conqueror courage

This happened to me 3 years ago and now this is the reason I do not tell anyone at work until a week before I plan on taking leave.
    Too many of these guys around that can influence ones leave just because they can

What an ass!

Just get a new date and move your booking. Sanparks is not difficult in this regard.
    I was targeting the school holiday so I can unfortunately not just move it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Paul View Post
    This happened to me 3 years ago and now this is the reason I do not tell anyone at work until a week before I plan on taking leave.
    Too many of these guys around that can influence ones leave just because they can
    True but the problem with that in our space is that it will most likely not be approved then. They want notice in advance. 2-3 weeks notice would be sufficient but I would then never get space in KNP 3 weeks before hand. Perhaps in Marloth but not in KNP itself.

I just find it a bit, just a little bit, selfish that he would cancel mine, while he does not even have any plans now. Just a "he will definitely go away then" answer.

But it is done so won't help me going on about it. But if Sept comes and he does not take that week, it is not going to be pleasant in the office.
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3