Caravan of the year 2019 - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Caravan of the year 2019

As ek Kooskop sien dink ek dadelik ek is op een of ander BL thread....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hilux01 View Post
    Ek het pesifiek na hom gaan loer by Karavaan skou die naweek - my broer is in die mark so ons was saam daar
    Ek is bekommerd oor die afwerking en materiaal kwaliteit - en pop rivets maak my skrikkerig vir lang termyn op rowwe paaie

Ek dink die produk wys baie potensiaal en kan verseker groei maar klein ontwerp issues soos genoem en vroeer sal moer aandag kry

Dis my 2c
    Doen jouself 'n guns en gaan besoek hulle werkswinkel in Centurion. Hul baie vriendelik en wys 'n mens mooi wat hulle doen en hoekom. Goeie material wat hulle gebruik. Hulle selfs 'n stuk vir my gegee om met 'n hammer te slaan. Alles word aan mekaar gegom met 'n sika produk wat gemeng word. Jy kan maar 'n las probeer breek. Ek dink die pop rivets is deel van die aanmekaar sit om alles in plek te hou terwyl die gom hard word.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Smitsjohans For This Useful Post:

My "karavaan" van die jaar - elke jaar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boswa1.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	303.8 KB 
ID:	559619   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boswa2.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	394.3 KB 
ID:	559620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boswa3.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	269.0 KB 
ID:	559621  
    Flip le Roux
    2012 Fortuner D4D 4x4 Auto
    2000 Cruiser 105 4.5EFI
    2016 Jurgens Exclusive
    2014 BMW R1200RT
    2016 BMW F800GS ADV
    2016 Kia Picanto - Swambo
    2019 2.2 Ranger D/C XLS 4x4 Auto - Work
    GP0015

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Riekielouw For This Useful Post:

Sometimes simplicity is first prize! Nice set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riekielouw View Post
    My "karavaan" van die jaar - elke jaar.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SP1971 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Andrew, us BL owners are passionate because it is such a great product. I never knew how good it was until I bought one. I was just as passionate about my Metalian.

Not sure why passion disgusts you and makes you suspicious? Strange thing to say...

I also think that because so many of us have bought into the brand then you realize why the owners are passionate. The owners are also always willing to assist with advice etc. When you get to a campsite then the BL owners always greet each other, help set up and chat.

Remember as well that most BL owners come from having owned other brands and have experienced all sorts of issues, failures, poor service etc. Now you buy into something that has negated all that, why would you not be passionate, protective, proud etc. of your investment?

BL owners in general don't just randomly attack other product owners, unlike the way so many on this forum attack and diminish Land Rover owners.

When we give our opinion or advise it is because we have been there,done that.....now we enjoy and love our vans.

I was at the show on the weekend, looked at all the brands again in-depth and being in the market again, I will buy my 3rd BL as nothing suits me better.

Just to give you an example, my wife loves the looks etc. of the Conquerors. We looked at the new ones again, after visiting the factory a while ago(she was not with me), and she cannot use the stove or open the fridge without using a step, she is 5ft5. That immediately knocks them off the purchase list.

So your purchase needs to tick as many boxes as possible....not all as this is impossible.

Good luck in your decision.
    Hey Bruce
    The funny thing about this is that I didn't buy a Bush Lapa because I don't fit in the bed at 2m tall.
    And my wife didn't like the crockery hanging on the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Slabeye View Post
    Hey Bruce
    The funny thing about this is that I didn't buy a Bush Lapa because I don't fit in the bed at 2m tall.
    The first "problem" is a legit problem yes - would be interesting to see a bed size comparison between all the major options.
    On the second one - I also regard that hanging thing as quite useless and have never used mine. I think most people's cutlery is in the top drawer.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by Slabeye View Post
    Hey Bruce
    As George says it would be interesting to see bed sizes across the ranges.

The crockery thing should not be a reason not to purchase, we did not use this set up as it is easy to change. Our crockery etc. we put in the top left kitchen cupboard. As per George the cutlery in draw below stove. The canvas door options can be changed and adapted and used for anything.

My cousin is 2.04m and is very happy with Miskruier front bed and the new pop up roof.

Once again comes down to personal preferences.
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

SWAMBO and myself have been looking at off-road caravans this past week or so. As I'm stuck offshore, with no idea when I'll be back home, this kind of keeps our mind off the bigger issues we all currently experiencing.

Now we rented a BL Baobab in January and liked it. In essence it ticks a lot of box's for sure...BUT...

We looked at the Infanta Inkulu 2. Lovely box...they all are....and I absolutely love the color scheme (BL's green is also top class)....as well as the layout of the Inkulu....but the Inkulu is cramped inside.
    So after lots of to and fro...SWAMBO decided on the Ratel...this happened last night. We got pricing for both and all things considered, the Ratel would do nicely......AND THEN TODAY.....

While reading through this thread, I happened upon the BorderX Expedition.

WoW. So I requested SWAMBO just have a look...can't hurt to just look....and her immediate response was...she loved it. She thinks it's just perfect. I like it too. No I have not seen it in the flesh like I have the other two....and I hear your concerns about build quality and that it's a new company...but as SWAMBO rightly pointed out....BL was also once a new upstarting company....and look at them today.

It's huge (for a man, wife and 5 yr old daughter...who will invariable drag her friend/s along)...but I love the new suspension setup. Very simliar to what the Patriot guy's are doing down in Australia. Also it's all metal etc...no material which is the one thing I wasn't to keen on in the BL...safety etc.

To the guy's who have actually seen it in the flesh....what was your honest opinion?

Thanks guys.

2019 VW Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Audi RS4 (The Delinquent)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper... View Post
    SWAMBO and myself have been looking at off-road caravans this past week or so. As I'm stuck offshore, with no idea when I'll be back home, this kind of keeps our mind off the bigger issues we all currently experiencing.

Now we rented a BL Baobab in January and liked it. In essence it ticks a lot of box's for sure...BUT...

We looked at the Infanta Inkulu 2. Lovely box...they all are....and I absolutely love the color scheme (BL's green is also top class)....as well as the layout of the Inkulu....but the Inkulu is cramped inside.
    So after lots of to and fro...SWAMBO decided on the Ratel...this happened last night. We got pricing for both and all things considered, the Ratel would do nicely......AND THEN TODAY.....

WoW. So I requested SWAMBO just have a look...can't hurt to just look....and her immediate response was...she loved it. She thinks it's just perfect. I like it too. No I have not seen it in the flesh like I have the other two....and I hear your concerns about build quality and that it's a new company...but as SWAMBO rightly pointed out....BL was also once a new upstarting company....and look at them today.

It's huge (for a man, wife and 5 yr old daughter...who will invariable drag her friend/s along)...but I love the new suspension setup. Very simliar to what the Patriot guy's are doing down in Australia. Also it's all metal etc...no material which is the one thing I wasn't to keen on in the BL...safety etc.

To the guy's who have actually seen it in the flesh....what was your honest opinion?

Thanks guys.
    i had a good look at the show recently. The front is ugly ugly, that big nose!The rear door too big. Material construction very nice. I donít like the flooring, cupboard covers. The Baobab to me is still better and once again the awning. The bushwing still the best.
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Casper... View Post

Thanks guys.
    Casper, not sure why you say the BL is material and not metal? The BL is stainless steel and aluminium construction. The Border X is composite as they showed me. The only difference is the fold out bed being of canvas. As far as safety is concerned, by that I am mean criminal type safety, no van is secure unless you in a container! All vans are easily accessible.

I like the Border X Expedition and the option of layout with bunk beds for kids etc.Few people have seen it at shows and been positive on the product.
    All depends on application and personal taste.
    I would definitely make sure to look at it if in your position.You already have the correct tow vehicle

16. The Following User Says Thank You to schoemie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Casper, not sure why you say the BL is material and not metal? The BL is stainless steel and aluminium construction. The Border X is composite as they showed me. The only difference is the fold out bed being of canvas. As far as safety is concerned, by that I am mean criminal type safety, no van is secure unless you in a container! All vans are easily accessible.
    Bruce,

I apologize for the incorrect choice of words. I assumed...incorrectly, that everyone would understand the comment....although I'm sure you did, but you feel like "biting" my ass a bit.

You are absolutely correct when you say the BL is constructed of metal (3CR12 stainless steel) to be absolutely pedantic. Again, yes you are correct when you say the fold-out bed is constructed of canvas. THAT my friend, is what I was referring to. The fact that it just slips over the bottom base and that it's made of canvas (yes it assists with the ultimate weight) does not appeal to ME.

None of us, irrespective what you have and where you are is safe anymore. If whoever wants to get in wherever, they will find away. I choose to just delay the inevitable a bit.

As for the caravan - yes it'a ugly yip you had me in stitches. I think the back is hideous. Those two spare wheels is just ugly.....but nou ja.

I got in touch with the owners and the info with regards to the various interior layout options and just so many other details is rather impressive. Please don't get me wrong - I still like the BL....I just think this has more interior space...SWAMBO would sell her soul if it means never seeing a spider again...so the inside bathroom works for her...I could almost say that alone sealed the deal. Please don't laugh guys....she'll slaughter me if she read that.

Bruce...I'm sure you get what I was on about. I'm still stuck out here for who knows how long....so this keeps us busy (SWAMBO and myself...even though we miles apart) and more importantly keeps our minds off the current issues we are facing.

2019 VW Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Audi RS4 (The Delinquent)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Casper... For This Useful Post:

Casper, no problem...just wanted to clarify. I really hope you get back safely.

Enjoy your purchase and safe, happy camping.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by takhaar View Post
    Hi daar. Ek sal meer feitliks terug voer wil he as net opinie. Die verskil in prys vir GVM 1500kg waens en wat jy kry. Bevoorbeeld die een se net gewig is 980kg wat ligher is as meeste. Die honey comb panels lyk vir my nuwe generasie.
    Die bed is persoonlike smaak, ek hou van die feit dat daar geen opslaan of uit trek nodig is om te kan slaap nie. Pop net die dak op. Vir R10k ekstra maak hulle die voorste punt ook pop up, wat ek sal verkies.
    Die wa se stoor plek was van die grootste wat ek op die skou gesien het. Jy he plek vir ekstra syle kamp stoele etc.
    Inbraak moontlikhede is vir my min op die wa, iets wat belangrik is in Africa, selfs wanneer op geslaan is. Klere kompartemente word aangepas na spesikasie en het standdaard zip seil nie hout deure nie. Deure val af op grondpad.
    Onafhanklike suspensie lyk vir my nuwe generasie en effektief

Jy is wel reg dat dit `n nuwe klein maatskappy is en dit is vir my die enigste risiko. Prys met alles is R310k met ekstras wat ek soek. Ander waens draai by R350k plus maar het meestal solide as met blad veer, baie kleiner deur (ek wil nie in en uit sukkel nie) en meer seil wat op geslaan moet word voor jy kan slaap.

ander een op die kortlys is die Conqueror Companion wat langer reputasie....

Hallo Takhaar.
    Ek bedryf n besigheid nl 4x4 Caravan Safaris wat safaris na die buurlande doen. Vanself sprekend ry daar baie verskillende waens saam met my. Ek self het nou my 3de Companion, 1ste afgeskryf in n ongeluk, bees raak gery naby Kang, moet asb nooit in die donker in die buurlande bestuur nie. Die 2de een het ek vervang met die nuwe speck een in 2017. Soos iewers genoem het die meeste van ons met tent kamp begin, toe wa met tent bo op en toe n Commander in 2006, rede hy het op daai stadium die grootste uitslaan bed gehad. Toe die Companion op die mark kom het ons dadelik een gekoop, niks anders op die mark se kombuis is so goed uitgele nie, myne het huidiglik die Insta Awn, lug suspensie en 2 x 100w son panele op die dak, se mods. Sedert 2017 het hy nou al om en by 50 000km gedoen. Alhoewel hy nie perfek is nie is dit die naaste aan wat ons wil he nl, slaap amper soos in n tent, ons hou nie van solide mure om ons nie want dan voel dit nie soos kamp nie, 160lt water, 2 x diep siklus batterye, onafhanklike suspensie en die out perform enige soliede as ens en dan die Insta Awn, hy is vinnig, waterdig en maklik op weer op te slaan. Ons bly nooit in die wa nie, slaap en trek slegs in hom aan verder is ons altyd buite. Nou van die wat al saam gery het gee die explorer by verre die meeste probleme, veral die nuwes met die swart alu plate op die kante nl chassis wat breek op die nuwe modelle met die modulere en nie solide chassis nie en dis n tree terug van Jurgens, water tank skerm plaat (tel sand op en steek dan vas) en tank self en dan skud hy vreeslik baie binne, het al melk, stroop ens gesien wat bars binne in hul. Mobi Lodge doen verbasend goed behalwe dat hy stof lek by die uitgly bed en breed en hoog is, sy spoor is ook buite die sleep voertuig sin wat dinge ook moeiliker maak. Dan is sy awening is heeltemal te moeilik en te hoog om op en af te slaan, kliente verbrand maar altyd in die son. Die Cheetha is ook n baie goeie wa, goed toegerus, gemaklik binne en maklik om op en af te slaan. Snaaks genoeg daar het nog nooi n Bush Lapa saamgery nie, lyk my nie hul eienaars hou van 4x4 ry nie..
    dan wil ek net se ek weet nie of n ander wa my die diens gaan gee wat die Compnion doen nie na al daai kilo's nie, tussen die drie het ek al verseker oor die 100 000km getoer sonder ernstge probleme. Die meeste waens wat saamry is Conqueror produkte...........
    Sterkte.
    Last edited by Andre Bos; 2020/04/06 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SP1971 View Post
    See Conqueror took Caravan and Trailer of the year for 2019. Must have been a close call with all the excellent products currently on the market.
    This competition is rigged and "captured" as their products are not that good to win every time. Some of their competitors have products that are just as good, maybe even better. I am not biased as I do not own an off road caravan.

The word rigged is probably harsh and not true. It is a mere representation of the market infiltration Conqueror has had to date and therefore no denying the fact that it is probably the most seen vans around, as per Andre's experience.

Andre mentioned an interesting thing I have also observed. Bushlapa owners, and this is very general statement, seem to be more the alone travelers or travelling in small friend groups. This could be due to several reasons or perceptions, ie less BL rental vans, people having changed from other brands, ie have more experience. Could be much more.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I was waiting for the BushLapa guys to come and "eliminate the competition".. I never see the other manufacturer's owners doing this so prevalently... I wonder if you must sign a type of cult manifesto when you buy a BushLapa? This kind of behaviour has put me off the BushLapa product as a whole as I find it disgusting and very suspicious
    The thing I see with bushlapa is that it is a utilitarian product that goes almost anywhere and it has a great build quality.
    A long long time ago (PRE covid) I set up camp and had 4 x Bushlapa to my right and 3 camping to my left.
    Itís a very popular product
    20 Land Cruiser 200
    12 Discovery 4
    07 Toyota Prado
    98 Isuzu 320 V6 4X4
    98 Colt Rodeo 4x4

Here are the results published in the latest Caravan SA mag, along with the voting forms

20 Land Cruiser 200
    12 Discovery 4
    07 Toyota Prado
    98 Isuzu 320 V6 4X4
    98 Colt Rodeo 4x4

This is not a brand bashing and I own Conqueror Product. All i would like to say is that Conqueror HO must seriously sharpen up on their QC processes if they would like to earn this title again. Wellington Conqueror has been extremely forthcoming in sorting out the issues on my new caravan and hats off to them. But the fact that a brand new caravan can roll of the factory floor and then be delivered to a client with a .15 point snag list is absolutely mind boggling!!! Hopefully all the issues will be resolved after the lockdown so i can be a happy camper again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast