Mabusehube cutline road to Mabuasehube from Sekoma

Default Mabusehube cutline road to Mabuasehube from Sekoma

Afternoon, I have never used this site but at last I got my password sorted out etc.
    I have read several regarding the roads leading to the Masuasehube gate from the south and easterly directions.
    Friends from Cape Town and ourselves from Fourways are meeting there in June. From there we will be doing a 3 week trip around Botswana and through the Caprivi.
    My question is why have I not picked up people travelling from Gauteng to Mabuasehube going via Lobotse?
    Then on to Sekoma and then heading west via the cutline. Our friends from the Cape will have to use the Tshabong road which looks very sandy for the last +-50 km.
    We will both be towing off road caravans.
    My question regarding the cutline from Sekoma, is it one straight road as indicated by google maps?
    I have read there is a gate one initially passes through near Kokotsha. Does someone have all the gps points?
    Is there a step by step guide for this road? Is one likely to scratch your vehicle? Or should I meet our Cape Town friends and travel together from Hotazhel?
    Currently driving a Prado 150 2.7 petrol (yes how many of these are there in RSA?)
    Still also drive a Discovery 4 V8
    Owned Disovery 4 TD V6
    Discovery 3 TD V6
    Prado 4.0
    Discovery 2
    Hilux 3.0 KZTE 4x4

Default Re: Mabusehube cutline road to Mabuasehube from Sekoma

Hi Gary

Wellcome to the forum.
    I have driven both cutlines you speak of.

Both are good sand driving with the one coming from the South to be deepest sand for the last 50kms.
    The Eastern one has a fence cutting it off now a days and that might be the reason that less people travel it ( You have to travel with a detour along the fence.)
    I can give you waypoints is you PM me.

I would suggest that you meet with your friends if they are coming from the South. If they might get stuck you can be there to assist. Otherwise both sides is fine.
    No scratching of cars on the cutline but inside the park some of the roads are a bit overgrown but all is manageable.

Barry
    Last edited by Wildkyker; 2020/02/19 at 04:56 PM.
    ONE LIFE!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildkyker For This Useful Post:

My question regarding the cutline from Sekoma, is it one straight road as indicated by google maps?
    I have read there is a gate one initially passes through near Kokotsha.

We drove to Mabua in 2019 at end april via this route. You turn off on a straight cutline well before Kokotsha, along the cutline for the first part, and then drive around the farms on a newly cut twospoor that is fairly uneven, Tracks 4 A has the track/route. Then it rejoins the main cutline after the farms detour, heading west to the next cutline north south on the east of Mabua park. The travelling was pleasant but bumpy undulating around the farms.

The cut line was straight and fast for the first portion and the second portion after the farms. In many sections of cutline we were driving 55 to 65 kays and could have gone faster but chose not to.

Wild camped before T at the park as we had arranged. Saw no traffic on the 2 days. No bush or bush rash and these routes are somewhat smoother and more driveable than many in Mabua. We were 2 vehicles, LC 79 S/C kitted and a Paj LWB with modest trailer.

Then we went to CKGR via a set of cutlines little used. Another storey!

Have more info if u are interested. Wecome to call me as well.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

Many thanks for the responses.
    Regarding the cutline and the detour around the farms. Is there any form of sign posting or would one need tracks for Africa maps.
    Regards
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gary wade View Post
    Many thanks for the responses.
    Regarding the cutline and the detour around the farms. Is there any form of sign posting or would one need tracks for Africa maps.
    Regards
    Gary
    Remember a sign but do not recall whether on main road or on cutline itself. Dont remember it said Mabua or something obvious. Will have to check my pics.

I used the Tracks 4 A at home and loaded a waypoint at the turn on my GPS as i usually do for my trips. Also had a route loaded up as well. Use a crappy GPS Garmin 76 cx! Once we saw the wide cutline reserve, as it seems to be a fire break as well, it was obvious that we were at the right point on the GPS.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

We have used both routes, the Kokotsha cutline we have done 4 times and Tsabong road twice. My preferred route by far is the Tsabong road. Also keep in mind that driving all the way from Gauteng to Mabua is a very long day. If you use the Kokotsha cutline the only place really to break the journey is to wild camp on the cutline or continue to Mabua gate. At least via Tsabong there are more sleep over options.

If it was me, I would consider meeting your friends at Tsabong. Or even better meet them at Springbok pan gaste plaas on the SA side, stay over there, cross the border early in the morning, stock up in Tsabong and hit the road. The sand is really not that bad and now you are 2 vehicles should one need help.

Yes, you will scratch your vehicle and your caravan, if not on the cutline then for sure in Mabua. It is what it is and no getting away from that.

Oh and welcome to the forum
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/02/20 at 08:14 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Hi Gary,

Replied to ur PM as follows.

We had been 2x to Mabua 20+ years ago when we planned a trip to Mabua and then to CKGR from Mabua. had kept blogs and trip info over the years and also posted on the LCCSA and 4x4 Com websites. Got varying responses, only a few good alternatives though. There were 3 main ways in and a few more remote:

Lobatse-Jwaneng-Sekoma-Kokotsha ( this last point was a turnoff before Kokotsha, on a cutline going around the farms to the north)

A route through Makopong with alternatives through Bray and Werda. Comments about the route was of corrugated stretches and fairly long travel times.

A common route via Tsabong. The most popular apparently. A 2 day affair due to the longish RSA leg.

Spoke to 2 people about the Jwaneng route and a few about the other 2 routes and decideed the first option was best for us. The route had been done in part in reverse but i did not remember enough and set up a route and a few waypoints and used this without problems. It was the quickest sort of and would get us close to Mabua for a wild camp and into the park early on day 2 for a good game drive-commute to camp. Turned out to be a good solution without traffic and hardly any cattle etc and nice tracks, with only a bumpy section around the farms.

We wanted to leave Joburg at about 6 and drive in daylight to border, then get to wild camp before sunset and have diesel much of the way. worked well.

Welcome to call - oh 82 33 oh 1227 - Ed I have notes at home on the trip and will dig them out friday pm. There were no gates and one or 2 decisions but easy choices on tar and dirt.

Tend to agree that u should meet your friends and then travel in. The Lobatse route does not have too many convenient stopover places at convenient points as far as i know and most folk wild camp on the cutline towards Mabua. This one does not have too many tracks leading off, that we could see, such as those in other places, such as those to CKGR for example. Did hear distant dogs that nite we camped but very far away.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

There are signs around the Kokotsha farms. I agree the Tshabong route is better, and Iíve got a feeling much closer for the last fuel stop. (Got load shedding so canít confirm on T4A)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Many thanks to all for the advice given.
    Regards
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    We have used both routes, the Kokotsha cutline we have done 4 times and Tsabong road twice. My preferred route by far is the Tsabong road. Also keep in mind that driving all the way from Gauteng to Mabua is a very long day. If you use the Kokotsha cutline the only place really to break the journey is to wild camp on the cutline or continue to Mabua gate. At least via Tsabong there are more sleep over options.

If it was me, I would consider meeting your friends at Tsabong. Or even better meet them at Springbok pan gaste plaas on the SA side, stay over there, cross the border early in the morning, stock up in Tsabong and hit the road. The sand is really not that bad and now you are 2 vehicles should one need help.

Yes, you will scratch your vehicle and your caravan, if not on the cutline then for sure in Mabua. It is what it is and no getting away from that.

Oh and welcome to the forum

Many thanks for your response. Looking through all the suggestions, the Idea of Springbok pan sounds the best.
    One then also get to the sandy section before it is too hot. We are going in June, the continuing to Caprivi, Savuti, Kasane and back via the pans.
    Returning three weeks later. Luckily I am retired and have plenty of time.
    Many thanks
    Regards
    Gary
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by gary wade View Post
    Many thanks for your response. Looking through all the suggestions, the Idea of Springbok pan sounds the best.
    I have never stayed at Springbok pan, but good friends of ours did. They bought excellent wood there which they did manage to take over the border.

There is the Camel Park in Tsabong as well which will give you an even earlier start. I have read feedback that the campsite is clean and acceptable.

Don't worry about the sand section, it is actually a really fun drive. It takes concentration and a few fast decisions, but you will get through.

Where you get to diverging tracks, pick line and stick to it. People run into trouble when they get scared halfway through and back off the power or they try and change to another line.

Deflate tires on car and caravan.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/02/22 at 10:13 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes