Disco 3 SE V8 versus Disco 4 HSE V8

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Disco 3 SE V8 versus Disco 4 HSE V8

Hi All
    Just bought a Disco 4 HSE V8. I also have a D3 SE V8 and would like to transplant all my extras to the D4 like roofrack, Replacement bumper, Spare-wheel carrier, Extended fuel tank and then also my 18" rims & tyres. Now I see that the D4 has a build-in tyre pressure thingy. Can I just unscrew those sensors from the 19" rims and screw them onto the 18" valves or is it more complicated?

Appreciate any help Thanks

Johan

Default Re: Disco 3 SE V8 versus Disco 4 HSE V8

Yes you can remove them and transfer to the 18" rims.Just make sure the 18" will fit the D4(front).

No need to take the tyre off the rim.At the tyre shop let them put the wheel in the de-bead machine and just push the tyre off the rim,to the inside,and remove the unit.Think a 11mm socket will do.Carefull with the seals!
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Thanks DiscoFrans. In otherwords it is not something that just screws out from the outside, you have to move the complete valve/sensor from the one rim to the other rim. Are they also set for a specific wheel position like L/F must remain on that wheel?

I have heard that the lr4 brake discs are too large for 18 inch rims.

Standard d3 18” rims won’t fit d4 Hse front unless you grind the caliper a bit. Compomotive 18 do fit

This sucks because I have this 265/65/18 BF's with about 80% thread on the D3 with brand new spare so it means I will have to put the carrier back on aswell as it dont fit in the normal space underneath. I will try one and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBob View Post
    Standard d3 18” rims won’t fit d4 Hse front unless you grind the caliper a bit. Compomotive 18 do fit
    D4 XS and some S models had 18". So means D4 HSE too can take 18" ?

No,XS only has 155kw,so it was equipped with D3 brake calipers.The D4 v8 much more kw's,so bigger brakes!!As Mike say,grind calipers and/or use spacers.

The TPMS should find the sensors!Yes the transmitter is inside the rim.What you see on the outside is the valvestem.
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

I recall Peter replaced the front calipers on his D4 to fit the 18 rims , I would say swap the 4 with the 3 calipers
    Using Tapatalk

So modify the braking system to be less efficient? No thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    I recall Peter replaced the front calipers on his D4 to fit the 18 rims , I would say swap the 4 with the 3 calipers
    Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL

I have disabled the TPMS on my Disco. (using an external TPMS)
    Reason is as soon as jy deflate enough for thick sand the standard one bitches and moans.

Quote Originally Posted by desdrake View Post
    I have heard that the lr4 brake discs are too large for 18 inch rims.
    You heard partially incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBob View Post
    Ever so slightly. Depending on the rim and whether spacers are used.

Quote Originally Posted by LandJero View Post
    This sucks because I have this 265/65/18 BF's with about 80% thread on the D3 with brand new spare so it means I will have to put the carrier back on aswell as it dont fit in the normal space underneath. I will try one and see what happens
    Don't dismay. It is possible. I've done it and still using D3 rims on my D4. I grinded the calipers leading and bottom edges by about 1mm, used 30mm spacers (which you might not even need to) and fitted 265/65/18's. See my sig.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. (Ingwe)

Thanks for the info so far. As soon as I get a chance to try I will give some feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtheman View Post
    So modify the braking system to be less efficient? No thanks
    Each to his own , but if I have to choose between spacers and a braking system that will be not so noticeable less efficient , I know what I will do . Different type of tyres will have a bigger effect on stopping distances
    Using Tapatalk

The D4 v8 has significantly more power than the D3 V8 hence LR equipped it with better brakes. IMO I cannot see the sanity in downgrading brakes to save on a set of tyres. I also don't see tyres making up for it.
    Just playing devil's advocate here, but what would an insurance company say in the case of a claim if the downgrade was picked up?
    Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL

The D4 v8 has significantly more power than the D3 V8 hence LR equipped it with better brakes. IMO I cannot see the sanity in downgrading brakes to save on a set of tyres. I also don't see tyres making up for it.
    Just playing devil's advocate here, but what would an insurance company say in the case of a claim if the downgrade was picked up?
    Nothing good I don't think.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. (Ingwe)

D4 diesel and v8 same calipers and the diesel does not have more power than D3 v8 and I don’t recall anybody complaining about braking power on the D3
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    D4 diesel and v8 same calipers and the diesel does not have more power than D3 v8 and I don’t recall anybody complaining about braking power on the D3
    But we are talking about the brakes of the D4 v8.not the dieselThe XS is lighter than the other D4 diesels and has less power,so I can understand the smaller brake calipers,but the v8?
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

I think the extra power has got nothing to do with the larger calipers. It is a matter of a heavier vehicle, because of a possible heavier engine, that needs to be stopped. Stronger engine does not mean more speed necessarily...

Regards,
    Suid-Wes
    2006 Defender 110 Td5

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Suid-Wes For This Useful Post:

cor

Johan
    Hi and how are you. Long time no see, have you still got your dads American RV, I still think about it alot and as for that sea shell collection my god the biggest in my life.

About your Disco 4 and 18"wheels, it is just so simple. Swop the brake calipers, discs and pads with your Disco 3 and put the 4's onto your 3 and run that with 19'" . I have done many conversions and ran my Disco 4 SDV6 HSE with 18" for 3 years and 86k kilos when I sold it.
    A very close friend of mine in Oman bought a Disco 4 V6 petrol Ford motor and that and other Discos come out standard with 18"rims and in his case BFG 265/65/18 tyres.
    Just bear in mind all the Disco 4's excluding the XS came out top spec which included e diff, panoramic roof and Brember brake calipers on the front also air suspension. As for the NAS spec exactly the same except for 20"and 22"wheels on the LR4's

Take care and best regards to you and your wife from Pat and myself.
    Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to tgwinduna For This Useful Post:

cor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast