Decent vehicle battery brand?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Decent vehicle battery brand?

The available battery brands in the size I am looking for are all about the same price.
    Is there anything between Willard, Dixon and Exide, all 2yr warranty batteries. There is a cheapie I've never heard off called Macht that's 25% less expensive but only has an 18 month warranty, seems to be an European brand that's maybe recently entered the SA market and is apparently distributed by Willard.

I also remember people mentioning the Midas Gold branded batteries are good and that they are just a rebrand of a reputable make at a cheaper price.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2020/02/19 at 10:22 AM.

Default Re: Decent vehicle battery brand?

I have seen in my experience the cheap ones are just as good, or bad as the expensive ones - they are all the same inside.

I had a willard die on my old merc just after 24 months and it was replaced with the cheapest one I could find, I think it was a bartlett (since the merc had a HUGE battery - expensive) and that lasted well past 3 years when I sold the car.
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (workshop whore)

I now purchase at battery centre. They replace within warranty periods.

Optima probably the best if you have the budget
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination of coronaviruses
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    I have seen in my experience the cheap ones are just as good, or bad as the expensive ones - they are all the same inside.

I had a willard die on my old merc just after 24 months and it was replaced with the cheapest one I could find, I think it was a bartlett (since the merc had a HUGE battery - expensive) and that lasted well past 3 years when I sold the car.
    Unless you are going with a special chemistry or construction all the entry level models are probably a much of a muchness but I'm sure some are worse than others.

Macht seems to be a Romanian brand, Midas sells them: http://www.conexdist.ro/corporate/macht/

My experience, stay away from Willard they not what they used to be. I've had 2 replaced under warranty in about 2 years 3rd one went and I replaced it with a bosch. No problems thus far.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne Madsen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Madsen View Post
    My experience, stay away from Willard they not what they used to be. I've had 2 replaced under warranty in about 2 years 3rd one went and I replaced it with a bosch. No problems thus far.
    My experience as well with 4 of them. Never lasts more than 2 years and I have never seen one with a 2 year warranty.

Willard, never again.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Some brands have 2 options - 1 Year Guar or 2 Year Guar

In fact its the exact same battery with different labels and almost double the price for the 2y

Meaning you get a 1 year a batt but you pay for the risk if it fails before the 2 year Guar

What BS !

Now I know for a fact DIXON does not do that to you
    Rudolf Ras
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 851 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 111 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 124 000 km

I had 2 willards and each one lasted about 4 years in the Isuzu.
    Replaced it last year with an Atlas...will see.

I believe in Varta Batteries.They are fitted as standard spec in BMW vehicles. In my first BMW the one lasted 7 years, second one was 6 years old when I sold the car.On second BMW the first one lasted 6.5 years, fitted another Varta again.I think a person must also ensure that you fit the correct size battery, as this will have an impact on battery life.Just my 2c

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Swiegie1 For This Useful Post:

Udu

Quote Originally Posted by Swiegie1 View Post
    I believe in Varta Batteries.They are fitted as standard spec in BMW vehicles. In my first BMW the one lasted 7 years, second one was 6 years old when I sold the car.On second BMW the first one lasted 6.5 years, fitted another Varta again.I think a person must also ensure that you fit the correct size battery, as this will have an impact on battery life.Just my 2c
    This^^^^^^

From my experience, Varta Batteries lasts for years, and the worst in my book: Willard
    I had a few Willard batteries failing under warranty and itís a nightmare to get Willard to honor the warranty, always a thousand and one exuses as to why itís not their fault.

Most said I should go for a Varta as first choice on my D3. I might get a Duracell as the Varta seems to be a difficult battery to get your hands on. Maybe look at a EFB? Might last longer than normal flooded. Batteries not a quick and easy thing to buy anymore.
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

Whats the opinion about Sabat and Raylite?

Both willard and varta are distributed by auto x. Willard has 25 month warranty.

Raylite are good. Best thing is you go to any battery centre country wide if there is trouble. Duracell are excellent. 3 yr warranty available at any tiger wheel and tyre

Deltec

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Most decent vehicles have OEM batteries.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

I get over seven years with Raylite batteries in my various vehicles, not all of which are driven that often. I'm very happy with them.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

On the topic of failing batteries, have to share an eye opener (for me that is)...
    Being driving a 2006 Polo since new, no issues, batteries (Willard) lasted around 4 years or so.
    To me, once there was any "slower" engine crank at startup, that was my signal to start thinking about getting a new battery, usually not immediately but I would get it done close to next pay-day. No ssues with car or battery sudden death etc, all good.

Then, on one of these battery replacement runs, I go to usual Willards battery centre and they suggest Duracell, slightly better price and better warranty, highly recommended, so I reckon, well they work well elsewhere so let's give it a try.
    Trouble free and lasted well, also around 4 years, maybe longer, iirc, BUT, when it's time was up, i was left stranded, one minute driving beautifully, parked for a short while, then on attempting to start again, no warning, the vehicle turned into a demon from hell never experienced ever in any vehicle before. By the skin of my behind and a good old friend, managed to push start in reverse and managed to huk & pluk to a nearby safe parking spot - I actually realised for the first time for that old vehicle (this happened 2019), how finicky the electronics are ito battery health.
    New battery (W) and 30 seconds later the old faithful rebooted into its smooth old self again.

Note to self, regular battery checks not a bad thing

I went to get a Willard and it turns out the vehicle had slightly smaller battery fitted than stock 40Ah vs 45Ah(OE size) and the clamps wouldn't fit the larger battery so I ended up getting the Macht battery as that was all they had in the smaller size. Considering some of the earlier comments about Willard maybe I dodged a bullet.

What I didn't dodge was the old battery venting acid all over the place, sometime between stopping at Battery Center yesterday to have the alternator checked and driving 20km home thereafter and then 4km today to Midas the old battery gave up and made a mess of everything.

What would have potentially caused that, I definitely didn't expect that to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    I went to get a Willard and it turns out the vehicle had slightly smaller battery fitted than stock 40Ah vs 45Ah(OE size) and the clamps wouldn't fit the larger battery so I ended up getting the Macht battery as that was all they had in the smaller size. Considering some of the earlier comments about Willard maybe I dodged a bullet.

What I didn't dodge was the old battery venting acid all over the place, sometime between stopping at Battery Center yesterday to have the alternator checked and driving 20km home thereafter and then 4km today to Midas the old battery gave up and made a mess of everything.

What would have potentially caused that, I definitely didn't expect that to happen?
    Usually a cell going short circuit, leaving the remains five cells to take up the extra voltage and gas.

Sudden death is a strange battery phenomena, not easily understood or explained. Well certainly not by me anyhow.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast