Wilddogs

Thread: Wilddogs

Default Wilddogs

Finally got rid of that annoying sound in the 4x4, opened the door and pushed him out

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Raceway For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Wilddogs

I saw on NGWLD that India also has their own type of wild dogs - they look a bit different to the African ones but hunt in the same way.
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

I thought this thread was referring to the Adventure bike forum I belong to....

Thanks for the links - will be watching it at home.

Wild dogs are rare and special. We had a whole pack chasing their prey through our campsite at Khwai. We only managed to capture this ...it all happened very quickly...

Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

We're lucky enough to have 2 packs visit us on occasion, by far my favorite animal in the bush and great to find on a walk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200127-WA0007.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	558785   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190622_101407_7.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	290.9 KB 
ID:	558786  
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110 (Aqualung)
    1997 2.8i Defender 110 (Fats)
    DAF (Beast)

Self made nilionaire

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 2.8i rocks For This Useful Post:

I love wild dogs. Was lucky enough to run into a pack in the road just a few kilometres from Balule in Kruger in November...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WD1.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	618.4 KB 
ID:	558793

Name:	WD2.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	698.8 KB 
ID:	558794

Name:	WD3.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	663.9 KB 
ID:	558795

Name:	WD4.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	463.4 KB 
ID:	558796
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Unfortunately we came across 2 dead wild dogs enroute to Kasane from Nata. They not pleasant pictures to look at but hopefully it does create public awareness, although on the roads I think they are deliberately run down. I have made contact with the research students in the area.
    To lighten the mood tho my brother in law was "tree-ed" by wilddogs whilst walking in the bush. He had to sit up the tree for about 2 hours, the minute he tried to come down the dogs surrounded the tree again until eventually something else caught their attention and they were off.
    A funny story was when we were parked next to an elephant who was systematically destroying a tree, next thing a warthog came running towards the elephant with a pack of wild dogs behind him. Elephant had his back to this. Warthog then shot into his hole which was just behind the elephant, elephant then turned around rather quickly and the wilddog literally stopped mid air. The little piggie they were chasing had suddenly turned into this massive grey beast with ears and truck flapping. The look on their faces was priceless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	botswana (1 of 1)-5.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	949.0 KB 
ID:	558827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	botswana (1 of 1)-7.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	927.7 KB 
ID:	558828  
    Finally got rid of that annoying sound in the 4x4, opened the door and pushed him out

Thatís very sad.
    Iím not sure that they were deliberately run down though? Why would that be?
    that kasane nata road is hectic, Iím actually not surprised they were hit on that road.

On the story of them chasing your boet up the tree - thatís interesting, I had just watched a clip that a friend of mine posted of them busy with research stuff with dogs, the clip was of them working on a dog, but the entire pack was just a couple meters away, shuffling about. It was interesting to see that there seemed to be no danger to the people working on the downed one.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post

On the story of them chasing your boet up the tree - thatís interesting, I had just watched a clip that a friend of mine posted of them busy with research stuff with dogs, the clip was of them working on a dog, but the entire pack was just a couple meters away, shuffling about. It was interesting to see that there seemed to be no danger to the people working on the downed one.
    I also find it curious, I've been walking in the bush since I was a kid and if you sit down or go on all fours they'll come right up to you out of curiosity but I've never had a seconds aggression from them, as soon as you stand they run off a few meters. One of the pics I put up was with my phone camera at about 4m while lying on the ground.
    Saying that my dad used to tell a story of being surrounded by them and having to use a branch to keep them of while he got back to the car, but then he also told me lions don't climb trees!!!!!!!
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110 (Aqualung)
    1997 2.8i Defender 110 (Fats)
    DAF (Beast)

Self made nilionaire

Excellent! - Many thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Raceway View Post

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway