New Tentco 1.4m 'delux' RTT review

Default New Tentco 1.4m 'delux' RTT review

I'm not sure whether they actually call it the 'delux', but it seems Tentco have started producing a new line of RTT's. I was happily surprised to find out that Rob from Kgalagadi Outdoor in Pretoria was supplied this new model - apparently first of the production line - which we then fitted together.

Since this is my first RTT, I'll probably come back to this review later and add some of my experiences. At first hand the build quality is very nice. The base plate is made from a light honeycomb material which feels very solid. The canvas is also much lighter than I am used to and all fittings, zippers and ties feel very well put together. The cover zips nicely to the base of the tent, making it apparently dust proof. The ladder has nice broad horizontal steps and it comes with a little anti-slip mat to put beneath it. The roof of the tent is now also equipped with a stargazing window and the cover comes in black, which suits the vehicle very nicely. Mattress feels quite firm, will report back on that too.

Herewith some pictures. I'm taking it into Kruger tomorrow for two nights so will report back after that about the first experiences.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	558662
    The tent has nice shade covers for the windows: if the rain comes down you don't have to zip them up.

Name:	image3.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	558663
    It comes with a stargazing window fitted in the roof.

Name:	image4.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	558664
    Ladder that does not kill your feet.

Name:	image5.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	558665
    Cover zips nicely to the base of the tent.

Name:	image6.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	558666
    Elastic string helps fit in the canvas when folding the tent up, can be easily removed.

Name:	image0.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	558667
    The black cover looks very nice in my opinion.

Thanks Rob, for an awesome service! Price is the same at R9.700 which I think is a bargain.
    Last edited by HerrRudiger; 2020/02/18 at 12:34 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HerrRudiger For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New Tentco 1.4m 'delux' RTT review

Quote Originally Posted by HerrRudiger View Post
    I'm not sure whether they actually call it the 'delux', but it seems Tentco have started producing a new line of RTT's. I was happily surprised to find out that Rob from Kgalagadi Outdoor in Pretoria was supplied this new model - apparently first of the production line - which we then fitted together.

Since this is my first RTT, I'll probably come back to this review later and add some of my experiences. At first hand the build quality is very nice. The base plate is made from a light honeycomb material which feels very solid. The canvas is also much lighter than I am used to and all fittings, zippers and ties feel very well put together. The cover zips nicely to the base of the tent, making it apparently dust proof. The ladder has nice broad horizontal steps and it comes with a little anti-slip mat to put beneath it. The roof of the tent is now also equipped with a stargazing window and the cover comes in black, which suits the vehicle very nicely. Mattress feels quite firm, will report back on that too.

Herewith some pictures. I'm taking it into Kruger tomorrow for two nights so will report back after that about the first experiences.

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	558662
    The tent has nice shade covers for the windows: if the rain comes down you don't have to zip them up.

Name:	image3.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	558663
    It comes with a stargazing window fitted in the roof.

Name:	image4.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	558664
    Ladder that does not kill your feet.

Name:	image5.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	558665
    Cover zips nicely to the base of the tent.

Name:	image6.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	558666
    Elastic string helps fit in the canvas when folding the tent up, can be easily removed.

Name:	image0.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	558667
    The black cover looks very nice in my opinion.

Thanks Rob, for an awesome service! Price is the same at R9.700 which I think is a bargain.
    Looks awesome , but that ladder will kill your feet. Itís the standard tentco one. I got a family RTT last year September and it has the exact same ladder (not the amazing star gazer roof......bastards). I love tentco products, not too expensive and excellent quality

Looks great, don't see anything on their webpage yet, looking forward to your review.
    2011 Suzuki Jimny, Rocksliders (Bluerocket), Underbody protection (Stofpad), Roofrack (African Outback)
    Drawer System (self)

Wow. Nice. I want one!!!

Except for the Stargazing roof, almost an exact copy now of my 15yr old Eezi-Awn RTT :-)
    '89 LR 110 V8

Promised to get back to this after camping for three nights. I must say that I've slept very well in the tent, but perhaps that would've count for 'any' RTT. Since we where bush camping, I always struggle to sleep the first night: but none of that in this case. One night I even woke up with my head and feet swapped to the other side, courtesy of a night spend in very deep sleep.

What can I say about the tent? I'm very impressed with the quality of the materials. Set-up takes about 10 minutes where most time is spend with installing the pegs from inside the tent. The only drawback to it is that folding the tent up is ideally a two-man job, because you want to tuck in the canvas before it is weighed down by the rest of the tent. Also I struggle to find an appropriate place to store my flip-flops: I hate to have sand in the tent.

All in all: very happy. I know this does not provide the comfort of a clam-shell, but considering the price: it is as good as it gets.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HerrRudiger For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the feedback - I am also a BIG Tentco fan - great products at reasonable prices!

Given their support and after sales service they probably one of 2 first choice suppliers...
    My 1st RTT was a Tentco - only reason I let it go was the creeking-wooden base....

Saw the below advertised on FB-today... If I was in the market for a new tent would be hard to say no to this offer....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Martinj; 2020/02/25 at 07:52 PM.

Apparently moving the tent as far as possible towards the back of the vehicle makes a huge difference in wind resistance since the flow from the screen almost sweeps over the tent without as much buffeting as with it fitted right up front, with a resultant fuel saving.

It will be nice if you could check this out some time and let us know your findings.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Default New Tentco 1.4m 'delux' RTT review

Just had the new tentco delux RTT fitted to the trailer

Very happy with fitment and the tent quality!!!

Name:	IMG_1115.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	561829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1116.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	561830
    Last edited by renier_c; 2020/03/14 at 04:14 PM.