Bathroom breaks at night in Botswana!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Bathroom breaks at night in Botswana!

Four of us camping on 2 4x4s for two weeks in Bots, but the girls are worried about having to go in the night! Can I ask the more experienced campers what they use/suggest to get around night time bladder issues.
    Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to classiccarr For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bathroom breaks at night in Botswana!

And as u get older it gets worse.. Initially I bought wee johns (camping shop) or go wee (dischem) which is basically a pee bag with moisture absorbing powder - so pee basically turns solid. However they are expensive - so I now re-use the pee bag and just empty it out and rinse with some Miltonís. I always used to get out to pee but my husband sleeps thro everything so he would not even notice if I got chomped. I also carry them in the cab of the vehicle for emergency - ie at a sighting and u donít want to move - also was once stuck in traffic jam for 3 hours on highway after gym and drinking 3 bottles of water !!
    Finally got rid of that annoying sound in the 4x4, opened the door and pushed him out

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raceway For This Useful Post:

Strong bucket
    OR
    We have a little portable chemical loo that is amazing
    No odours and totally unobtrusive very easy to clean, chemicals are "ecofriendly"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dudleytheplumber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dudleytheplumber View Post
    Strong bucket
    OR
    We have a little portable chemical loo that is amazing
    No odours and totally unobtrusive very easy to clean, chemicals are "ecofriendly"
    So when wild camping in Bots, where do you empty out your chemical toilet?
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

17 Ranger Supercab Tdci (Sold)
    97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

For the ladies ..Porta Potti ..For the men a plastic Bottle from Mumbos Jumbos with a screw on Top ..Eezy Peezy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    The Camp Long Drop ..Chemicals in Porta Potti are Biodegradable or di a hole and pour the wee in
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2020/02/18 at 06:07 AM.

A wide-necked bottle, like Stasoft, works very well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Dont have any advise, but it reminded me, when we were camping at Ihaha once, I heard my father inlaw climbing down his ladder for his usual midnight pee, about five seconds after, a lion roared, so close it made my chest rattle. He was back up that ladder mid pee!! After that he took an empty water bottle up into the roof tent with him
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

It is not just in Botswana that it becomes an issue, a tame reserve Like Kruger has enough leopard in camps that I will not let Jen go walkabout after the camp has quieten down at night. In a tent the trusty old porta potti is worth its weight in gold, in a rooftop... a wee john with a sta soft bottle. Good rinse with a bit of Jik in the morning keeps all sterile and hygienic.

On a guided off road trip camp was pitched on a river embankment of about 50m, it was a fairly steep bank that could not be negotiated by hippo or crocks and out of the way of any game trails so reasonably safe with a nice view and atmosphere. One of the couples was an elderly couple and they decided to pitch their tent to the side of the group next to the embankment, the omie snored like a Mack diesel on exhaust brake.
    Every one retired and the night was peaceful and quiet with all the sound we long for. Just before daybreak the camp was ripped out of their sleep by a heart stopping shriek that quietened down as if it was a bike passing on a highway. A shocked old omie came crawling out of his tent wide eyed and visibly shocked, at the base of the embankment the old tannie was lying, covered in dust and with her pants around her knees and dignity gone for a loop.
    You see the tannie hat to answer the call of nature and the omie woke up with the sound of her next to the tent, he thought it was a huge big predator that was about to devour them and he let fly with a two legged kick that would stop a buffalo on full charge........hitting the tannie square on and sending her over the edge at speed.

The rest of the trip was......interesting.. The omie slept in the bakkie for the next few nights and there was not much said between the two Luckily the rest of the group saw the humor in the matter and other than a few bruises and a dented dignity the tannie was all right
    Last edited by hbannink; 2020/02/19 at 01:13 AM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Dig a hole, what would you do without a toilet

Quote Originally Posted by Dudleytheplumber View Post
    Dig a hole, what would you do without a toilet
    Exactly this. Dig a hole.

So my reasoning is, dig a hole in the first place. Then you spare the earth of the chemicals and the smell of it. And you spare yourself the hassle of cleaning the porta.

Swambo always insisted on taking the porta with. I hate the thing. The smell of the chemicals smells like a Tuks Jool party toilet, even a site toilet. And that can put anyone off. So one day I said, I will take it with, fill with chemicals, put it down for her, and return it home. The emptying, cleaning, drying out and putting it away part now becomes her job, as I dont use it. OK she said. It went on that trip with us, it came back and I told her to empty, wash and clean it. She said I will tell (insert domestic's name here) to do it. To which I replied absolutely no. Why she asked? And I said because its degrading for her to do it, its nothing like cleaning a toilet with a brush. You dont empty your toilet "by hand" and wash it by hand. Very upset with me she cleaned it herself. 8 trips later and the porta never went with again..... Ahh, the CONVENIENCE of having your own toilet.

Back to the OP. I think however I will take it with to Kgalagadi for use in Matopi and Mabua only! If a lion roars next to my tent, I might just need that potti.
    12 Conqueror courage

Buy a night camera and after using it a few times you may get pics of lion, leopards, hyena, snakes and other night visitors you had no idea were about. You will then decide that a wide top bottle for her and a not so wide top bottle for him is adequate!
    For daytime dig a hole, but most camp site do have long drops, but you will need your own toilet paper.

Default Bathroom breaks at night in Botswana!

We make sure to not drink anything close to bedtime, and to empty the bladder before finally settling in. I think my wife made it without having to get up once on our last two trips. I had to go once, luckily it was full moon and not a cloud in the sky! Our RTT has 360í views, so I double checked the vicinity and armed myself with the airhorn.
    I would exchange my toilet at home in a heartbeat to be there right now!
    Last edited by MrTolbos; 2020/02/24 at 03:28 AM.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrTolbos For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    We make sure to not drink anything close to bedtime, and to empty the bladder before finally settling in. I think my wife made it without having to get up once on our last two trips. I had to go once, luckily it was full moon and not a cloud in the sky! Our RTT has 360í views, so I double checked the vicinity and armed myself with the airhorn.
    I would exchange my toilet at home in a heartbeat to be there right now!
    Interresting, have you actually used it? Or do you hope it works?
    I'm willing to try this, as it should be more effective than the smelly fumes I will discharge.
    12 Conqueror courage

Its lions you have to watch ..so places like Rooiputs I have a bottle with lid and Jane has a Porta Potti for night time . In Kruger Jane walks to the Loo where patrolling Badgers are the only real danger ..if you happen to cut one off in a half sleep to the bathroom ..Leopards always slink away if in camp ..No guest has ever been harmed in Camp at night since Park opening in 1926 by Mrs Spots ..A guard at Shingwedzi was killed once at the Gate Guard house ..but it was later found to be riddled with cancer unable to be normal .

I think however I will take it with to Kgalagadi for use in Matopi and Mabua only! If a lion roars next to my tent, I might just need that potti.
    and Dont forget Rooiputs for the lions..Porta Potti doesnt smell if you use it for No 1 and cleaning it at home is not a problem as Wife is a Nurse and there never has been a maid.Jane has a Packet slung below a chair with hole in it in the never happened yet need for No 2 at night in Bots ..Tie the SPar Packet up after use and dispose the next day ..Never had to use the Packet Contraption in the Add a Room of our Skipper Tent
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2020/02/24 at 07:09 AM.

Default Bathroom breaks at night in Botswana!

Interresting, have you actually used it? Or do you hope it works?
    I'm willing to try this, as it should be more effective than the smelly fumes I will discharge.
    Yip first thing I did was test it, nearly blew out my own ears! They are extremely loud. But Iíve not tested on a charging lion yet... We have a couple, so thereís always one close by. My first one I bought in early 2017, itís the one I tested and I keep it around as a tester before we go on trips. The rest are all fully charged still
    Last edited by MrTolbos; 2020/02/24 at 07:14 AM.

You will also use it at Rooiputs & Polentswa, no night time walkies, the lion hang around the shower and toilet , check the paw prints around your camp in the morning, that's enough for you to hurry to the long drop....

Often wonder if we are too cautious about this. We don't walk to the loo at night in Bots, yet the bandits who rob the campers at Ihaha seem to roam around the Chobe area with no worries at all (unless they are missing a couple of mates

There are also walks in the Kruger where one bush camps on foot with the tiniest of tents, and some where you sleep under the stars, all in big 5 country. Is it not a case of having a good look around first, and then having airhorn and pepper spray if you have a desperate #2 thats emerging? and a mate/partner keeping an eye whilst your in thew long drop?

I am using for years STAYSOFT bottles. Can accommodate males as well as females. Large opening, decent volume and inexpensive.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast