Quick Pitch Tent - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Quick Pitch Tent

Quote Originally Posted by QPT View Post
    Thanks for all the comments and interest, we are going to test the tent thoroughly this Easter and will then update with photos. Summary of features:
    # 3m x 3m and 2.1m high
    # Riptech 400 gsm canvas
    # PVC floor 550 gsm
    # 3m x 1.5m awning
    # 3 windows with awnings and roll up privacy screen on the inside + mosquito netting
    # large door with mosquito netting door
    # super strong aluminium frame
    # breathable ceiling with mosquito netting
    # super easy to pitch and pack away (details to follow)
    # takes up very little space in boot or bakkie loadbin (details to follow)
    # holds up well to strong winds (tested in the South Easter of Somerset West)
    # ideal for senior citizens who do not like climbing ladders as in rooftop tents, yet want something that is easy and quick to pitch (I'm 60 and exactly my requirements)

Again, thanks for the comments!
    Hi I am very interested but need to see video of pitching and folding up.

From experience with tents of all shapes and sizes my comments will be:
    3x3 is too big for 2 persons for a quick getaway.
    2.1m is too high.
    The sides are too straight down, it takes away a lot of elbow room.
    The canopy has too many poles.
    Good luck, your effort certainly needs support.
    Last edited by Damdan; 2020/02/26 at 12:32 PM.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Damdan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Damdan View Post
    From experience with tents of all shapes and sizes my comments will be:
    3x3 is too big for 2 persons for a quick getaway.
    2.1m is too high.
    The sides are too straight down, it takes away a lot of elbow room.
    The canopy has too many poles.
    Good luck, your effort certainly needs support.
    Thanks for the feedback, it was designed with my requirements, I'm 196cm tall and fits me like a glove. Three stretchers fit nicely with plenty of elbow room (also my requirements) and great for weekend breakaways.

I am also following this with interest. I have a quick pitch and it works very well.
    We fit a queen size stretcher in the rear sleeping part and still have space in the front part for a table and chairs on rainy days.
    The awning is not functioning properly as rain accumulates in it, therefore the 3 pole awning support is a good idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0050.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	559626   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	559627  

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BarnieH For This Useful Post:

QPT

Quote Originally Posted by BarnieH View Post
    I am also following this with interest. I have a quick pitch and it works very well.
    We fit a queen size stretcher in the rear sleeping part and still have space in the front part for a table and chairs on rainy days.
    The awning is not functioning properly as rain accumulates in it, therefore the 3 pole awning support is a good idea.
    I like this type of feedback. One should always try and qualify a statement. That way we all can learn something useful.

I agree with the many poles to a certain degree. Careful though as in this quote, if you use 2 poles like many tents do, it forms a puddle that can bring the house down.
    I think 3x3 is perfect for me, also the 2.1. More space is always appreciated in rainy weather. The limiting factor for me is setup time and weight. As long as it still pitches relatively fast and one person can still carry it.

To me it already seems more practical than most. Carry on the good work.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pieter de Waal For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: Quick Pitch Tent

There is a strong South Easter blowing in Somerset West tonight, but I completed sidewalls for the awning and wanted to test them. So I pitched the tent in the garden and tested the sidewalls. Works great, tent already knocked down again and packed away. The whole thing works fantastic!!

There is a strong South Easter blowing in Somerset West tonight, but I completed sidewalls for the awning and wanted to test them. So I pitched the tent in the garden and tested the sidewalls. Works great, tent already knocked down again and packed away. The whole thing works fantastic!!
    Still waiting for the video😉

https://www.cymot.com/en/outdoor/ten...rbo-impala-bow

By way of feed back we have a quick pitch greensport. Great tent. Easy to pitch, a little more tricky to put away due to the "folding" once the legs are collapsed.

Whatever you due, make the bag oversized so that you can put the entire tent package into the bag easier.

The issue is really the weight.

Also if you get the base correct that you do not have to worry about wind that could work

Oh yes - try pitch the tent tomorrow in Somerset West, the wind is blowing a little more than today

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Slowones For This Useful Post:

QPT

I'd also be interested to know how 'folding up small' is defined as well as light weight. Can you give actual dimensions and weight? We have the same tent as BarnieH which is awesome to setup quickly however it has earned the loving nickname of 'the body bag' due to it's size and weight when packed up.
    2016 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    2016 Wilderness 200 (Karet) Trailer

14. The Following User Says Thank You to N-Ice For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by N-Ice View Post
    I'd also be interested to know how 'folding up small' is defined as well as light weight. Can you give actual dimensions and weight? We have the same tent as BarnieH which is awesome to setup quickly however it has earned the loving nickname of 'the body bag' due to it's size and weight when packed up.
    I'm busy with a website that will include photos and videos to illustrate the concept. Also looking for potential partners, I already know from discussions with a patent lawyer that there is nothing similar on the market...it works radically different to normal tents...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to QPT For This Useful Post:

I'm busy with a website that will include photos and videos to illustrate the concept. Also looking for potential partners, I already know from discussions with a patent lawyer that there is nothing similar on the market...it works radically different to normal tents...
    That is good to hear as I had to redo all the "Pulling mechanisms" of my tent due to cable failure.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BarnieH For This Useful Post:

QPT

Thanks for the feedback, I will keep you posted on progress. The name and website plus video to follow soon. Im currently looking for partners to take the concept to production and have some meetings lined up.
    Please contact Dewaldt, the 4x4 King, on 073 583 5783 in this regard.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JDW For This Useful Post:

QPT

Thanks for the feedback, it was designed with my requirements, I'm 196cm tall and fits me like a glove. Three stretchers fit nicely with plenty of elbow room (also my requirements) and great for weekend breakaways.
    We are only two - over 60's and I prefer more space for those bad weather days.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to rikavs For This Useful Post:

QPT

Quote Originally Posted by BarnieH View Post
    That is the Howling Moon Diablo.

I have the same one and love it.

But, not the easiest to pitch if you are alone.... The cable lengths in those poles has to be rather exact or it collapses a few times whilst pitching it. I learned this after one of mine snapped and I replaced it myself.

Otherwise it is a brilliant tent.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    That is the Howling Moon Diablo.

I have the same one and love it.

But, not the easiest to pitch if you are alone.... The cable lengths in those poles has to be rather exact or it collapses a few times whilst pitching it. I learned this after one of mine snapped and I replaced it myself.

Otherwise it is a brilliant tent.
    I agree with you about loving it Nico.
    I do not have any problem pitching it myself. I fine tuned those cables and must say that it is the only weak spot in the tent. afaiac.

Thumbs up Re: Quick Pitch Tent

Quote Originally Posted by rikavs View Post
    We are only two - over 60's and I prefer more space for those bad weather days.
    I agree, as a mature citizen, I love camping, hate towing and don't want to climb onto my roof for a nap. The solution, a tent that is rock solid, yet pitches easy and can be knocked down afgain with little effort...that is why I developed the RapidPitchTent!
    Admin Removed

The wind factor....the turbo 3x3 tents don’t do well in strong winds.[/QUOTE]
    I am surprised that you have found that the 3x3m Turbo did not do well in strong wind?
    Wind and a flapping tent will definitely ruin any camping experience. For the QPT design to be better than any other similar sized tent it will have to cope better with all conditions it is exposed to including wind.
    My experience;-
    We have two 2,4m Natural instinct tents that we bought when they were launched here many years ago.
    We bought them for our children when they decided sleeping with their parents in a 8.5m motorhome was restricting their social development.
    We have camped in extremely windy conditions up an down the coast and used it many Decembers in Stilbaai and never had any problems.
    Because of the external frame and the way they can be anchored they remained standing when gales collapsed almost all the tents in the campsite.
    Dome tents were blown so flat that you could see all the content inside the tent as if the tent fabric was simply draped over it.
    During these events even caravan tents were knocked down and damaged.
    You don't have to design everything from scratch, these tents work very well, look carefully at how they are designed and then solve the following two issues,
    1, The Natural instincts awning over the door cannot be pulled tight enough with the few lines provided to stop it from rocking and rolling.
    I have devised my own system of additional lines but can see that it needs additional frame work.
    I think the natural instincts awning is marginally better supported than the tent the QPT because the awning does not wrap around the sides.
    Awnings that are draped between the outer poles and the tent frame will not remain tight, they will flap, collect rain and pull the pegs out.
    If yours is like that you will have to re-think it.
    You have to take the prevailing wind directions into consideration when you pitch a tent with this type of awning and even then it will keep you busy and awake.
    2. They are very easy and very quick to pitch but they are cumbersome to fold and get into the bag if you are on your own.
    Maybe other people find it easy but I want it folded as tight as possible so that it takes up less space.

As far as I can see the QPT under discussion is designed along the principal of having an external support frame like the Natural instinct tents and many others like them.
    Our first experience with an external framed tent was with a similar sized Coleman canvas tent, which we bought second hand in 1977 and still use.
    Unfortunately it does not have a second shading skin or any awnings, so who ever sleeps in must get up early, it is on my to do list.
    It does not have the folding pole system of the Natural instinct or the sliding ones of the QPT
    Its frame is a simple system of thinner pipes sliding into bigger ones with spring loaded clips and a row of holes for height adjustment. The QPT will be better.
    It is very easy to pitch since it does not have any guidelines, you peg the corners down and that is that.
    It stood through the same storms that our Natural instinct tents survived and many many more.
    Due to its simplicity it folds up much easier and smaller than the turbo tent because it does not have a shading cover. The poles are packed into a loose bag.

The best tents are the result of many hours of design and refinement
    The process is most often driven by someone who finally got fed up with issues that other people are prepared to live with.
    That is how we move forward, my advice is keep on inventing until you have sorted out all the issues.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Dawid Rabie; 2020/03/03 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawid Rabie View Post

The best tents are the result of many hours of design and refinement
    The process is most often driven by someone who finally got fed up with issues that other people are prepared to live with.
    That is how we move forward, my advice is keep on inventing until you have sorted out all the issues.
    Good luck
    Thanks for the feedback Dawid, yes I have focused on the QPT (actually calleded RapidPitchTent) over the last 24 months. There will always be ongoing improvements, but Im convinced that this tent works well! My die hard camping friend all thought I was crazy and that I should simply stick to a normal dome tent, now they all want to replace their dome tents for this. Roomier inside, easy to pitch and knock down and tough!!
    Admin Removed

Quote Originally Posted by Dawid Rabie View Post
    The wind factor....the turbo 3x3 tents dont do well in strong winds.
    I am surprised that you have found that the 3x3m Turbo did not do well in strong wind?
    Wind and a flapping tent will definitely ruin any camping experience. For the QPT design to be better than any other similar sized tent it will have to cope better with all conditions it is exposed to including wind.
    My experience;-
    We have two 2,4m Natural instinct tents that we bought when they were launched here many years ago.
    We bought them for our children when they decided sleeping with their parents in a 8.5m motorhome was restricting their social development.
    We have camped in extremely windy conditions up an down the coast and used it many Decembers in Stilbaai and never had any problems.
    Because of the external frame and the way they can be anchored they remained standing when gales collapsed almost all the tents in the campsite.
    Dome tents were blown so flat that you could see all the content inside the tent as if the tent fabric was simply draped over it.
    [/QUOTE]

Dawid, I agree. The turbo tents are exceptionally stable in my experience. I think the fact that you can basically double-anchor each corner is a big part of the recipe.

R
    Last edited by QPT; 2020/03/16 at 09:29 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast