Suspension Ironman vs Old man EMU

Default Ironman vs Old man EMU

This has probably been debated many times, but I am now faced with the question. Which is best, Old man EMU or Ironman foam cell suspension kits?

I have a canopy and an ironman replacement bumper fitted which adds a bit of weight.

My objectives are:
    Ride quality
    Lift
    Reliability
    Compensating for the bit of extra weight.

Your thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Default Re: Ironman vs Old man EMU

I am probably biased, but all things equal, when it comes to load carrying suspension that also improves ride quality, you just canít beat OME.

the iron man is not bad by a long shot, but depending on vehicle, I have found the ride to be a little Harsh

Quote Originally Posted by Micla View Post
    This has probably been debated many times, but I am now faced with the question. Which is best, Old man EMU or Ironman foam cell suspension kits?

I have a canopy and an ironman replacement bumper fitted which adds a bit of weight.

My objectives are:
    Ride quality
    Lift
    Reliability
    Compensating for the bit of extra weight.

Your thoughts would be highly appreciated.
    Vehicle?? Coils vs leaves??

I have had a few different suspensions in 13 4x4ís and in 3 had OME, which I rate the best.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Lifeís a journey, enjoy the ride

Check out ToughDog their foam cell shocks have won some awards and suspension look awesome too.

I can only speak for OME, but I would think you can't go wrong with them unless you choose the wrong constant load rating. Usually OME makes for around 50 mm lift and the ride is way better than standard.
    I have one vehicle with leave springs all round (60 series Cruiser) and one with coil springs (FJ Cruiser). On both vehicles the ride became a lot better on bad gravel roads. Cornering has improved overall. On tar the ride might feel a bit firmer, but in no way less comfortable than before. More composed, I would say.

I have looked into Iron Man suspensions both times I have had the conversion done and found that Iron Man wasn't cheaper than OME. However, I found that different fitment centres quote rather different prices for either suspension, so shopping around might be a good option rather than going for the first quotation.

I remember from discussions about suspensions on an FJ Cruiser group, that those who pointed out a harsher ride compared to the standard suspension seemed to have either Iron Man or EFS fitted. One person I recall had too high a load rating on his OME suspension and wasn't happy either.
    I have also noticed that some suppliers might want to talk you into taking a suspension with a certain load rating, just because they got that particular one in stock. The one you want they would have to order.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    Vehicle?? Coils vs leaves??

I have had a few different suspensions in 13 4x4ís and in 3 had OME, which I rate the best.
    It is for a Nissan Navara D23 D/C so only coils.

I found that the front stock suspension also seems like the rebound is harsh especially over speed bumps, so trying to kill two birds with one stone.

Cost for Iron man about 21k and OME around 23k