Insurance Jurisdiction

Default Insurance Jurisdiction

Hi guys,

So our trip has been delayed by a week because my GFís grandpa passed away. As sad as it is Iím a little relieved cause I was stressed about getting my Carnet in time!

New obstacle though, my insurance says they donít have jurisdiction in Kenya Tanzania and Rwanda... Anyone had the same issue? What SA insurance companies cover East AFRICA as well?

Thanks again,

Tim Hulme

Default Re: Insurance Jurisdiction

I ought really to wait for Stan Weakley to chime in, but here is what he wrote about trying to get insurance for his South African vehicle prior to their big overland trip in 2015-2016. Please note the bit about COMESA third party insurance - this is very important.

From Stanís meticulous notes at https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...e16?highlight=

VEHICLE INSURANCE.
    This was a very unsatisfactory exercise. Not all companies pay for repatriation of the vehicle if needed; some will only cover you if you are travelling in a formal group. One of the many companies I contacted is this one, apparently used with satisfaction by previous trans-African self-drivers, http://www.alessie.com/. They are based in the Netherlands. It was very difficult to elicit any response from them and many other companies and with all the restrictions and conditions involved I ultimately decided to carry the risk myself. Local South African companies are reluctant to insure further north outside our SADC customs union or north of the equator in some cases and their charges are as exorbitant as the international companies.
    THIRD PARTY INSURANCE.
    All the countries in Southern and East Africa will have a third party insurance office at the border (in South Africa and Namibia, it is included in the price of fuel). It is cost-effective and more efficient to purchase Comesa Yellow Card Insurance, which covers you for most of the countries in Southern and East Africa. (Mozambique is the only exception) I plan to buy my 3rd party insurance and the Comesa Yellow Card at the border post when we cross into Zambia. I have tried in vain to purchase it via various brokers in SA before leaving, but have given up. At present in Zambia COMESA for 365 days to all COMESA Countries costs K377.00 (inclusive of VAT). It is important to establish this cost beforehand as the asking price can vary. Just note that you still have to buy a Third Party for your first country outside the SADC, in our case Zambia. In the daily blog to follow you will see that I had a lot of trouble and there was great confusion as to whether South African registered vehicles can be covered by COMESA as South Africa is not a member country. Look in the Zambian section under Livingstone, the Tanzanian section under Lakeshore Lodge and then finally under Kenya and Nairobi. The short version is that I eventually bought COMESA insurance from a broker in Nairobi having tired of the continual trouble of seeking difficult to find Third Party Insurance at each border post. Whether you are covered or not as a South African vehicle is a separate issue. I still do not have the answer to that..

Damn ok that doesnít sound promising. Thanks for sharing though! The yellow card has been added to my (continually growing) list!

Let me know if anyone else has found a solution?

You could try asking Golf Charlie on this forum as currently he is on his way back to South Africa from Kenya. He is also a photographer who posts on Instagram as Greg Cookes.

Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Update on this as promised.

Discovery insure have offered me comprehensive cover on the entire route except Uganda for 50% more than I am currently paying. Outsurance have offered me the same, but covering the entire route, for just a tiny bit more than Discovery. I am not sure how Outsurance can get this right and Renasa/SA Eagle can't!?!

I have asked Discovery to include the costs of all the extras, just to make sure I am comparing apples with apples, and then I will make a decision.

Ok so they don't have the best reputation, but I am going with an Outsurance policy.

They were the only ones willing to insure my vehicle for all of East and Central Africa, the cover also includes R65 000 to repatriate the vehicle in the event of an accident, and a couple of million additional medical cover if we got injured in a claimable event.

I guess the proof will be in how they handle a claim, but hopefully we never get to that part. In the meantime the cover should be more than sufficient to ease Alphera (BMW) Finance concerns that lead to me not getting the border letter that I hoped for.

Thanks for the update on what you found. We too have had difficulties with insurance. We're with Tuffstuff, but are frustrated with their 60 day limit outside of South Africa. When we do find a satisfactory alternative we'll be switching. We'll for sure check out Discovery and Outsurance. We looked at Outsurance before and dismissed it for some reason that I now can't remember, so we will re-examine.

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    Thanks for the update on what you found. We too have had difficulties with insurance. We're with Tuffstuff, but are frustrated with their 60 day limit outside of South Africa. When we do find a satisfactory alternative we'll be switching. We'll for sure check out Discovery and Outsurance. We looked at Outsurance before and dismissed it for some reason that I now can't remember, so we will re-examine.
    I don’t know about south to north, but when we drove our UK-registered Land Rover from the UK to South Africa and then back to Kenya, we had vehicle insurance (albeit expensive) from a UK insurance company. It would not necessarily have included repatriation - and that is the sort of risk that overlanders have to take.

However, our COMESA yellow card insurance which covered us third party from Ethiopia to Zambia/Zimbabwe, was “piggy-backed” on to an in-COMESA country insurance. I had organised this through a Kenyan insurance broker friend long before we got to Ethiopia and the policy was in place as soon as we crossed the border from Sudan.

It might be worth your while finding the name of a reputable insurance broker in one of the COMESA countries and find out if you can take out comprehensive insurance as a foreign vehicle in any of these countries. We did so from Kenya, but I’m not sure that repatriation of a vehicle would be covered. But there again, a flatback all way back to your home country might cost a considerable amount, but not as much as you think. You just have to weigh up the risk. For you South Africans (or Caldriver with a South African registered vehicle) your first COMESA country will be Zambia/Zimbabwe).

However, with Tim’s vehicle being financed, there is also the question of whether he will get permission to cross borders and also obtain the all important Carnet without adequate insurance or collateral.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2020/02/21 at 02:39 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    I donít know about south to north, but when we drove our UK-registered Land Rover from the UK to South Africa and then back to Kenya, we had vehicle insurance (albeit expensive) from a UK insurance company. It would not necessarily have included repatriation - and that is the sort of risk that overlanders have to take.

However, our COMESA yellow card insurance which covered us third party from Ethiopia to Zambia/Zimbabwe, was ďpiggy-backedĒ on to an in-COMESA country insurance. I had organised this through a Kenyan insurance broker friend long before we got to Ethiopia and the policy was in place as soon as we crossed the border from Sudan.

It might be worth your while finding the name of a reputable insurance broker in one of the COMESA countries and find out if you can take out comprehensive insurance as a foreign vehicle in any of these countries. We did so from Kenya, but Iím not sure that repatriation of a vehicle would be covered. But there again, a flatback all way back to your home country might cost a considerable amount, but not as much as you think. You just have to weigh up the risk. For you South Africans (or Caldriver with a South African registered vehicle) your first COMESA country will be Zambia/Zimbabwe).

However, with Timís vehicle being financed, there is also the question of whether he will get permission to cross borders and also obtain the all important Carnet without adequate insurance or collateral.
    You wouldn't happen to have the details of a broker in the area?
    2016 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 4x4

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hulme View Post
    Hi guys,

So our trip has been delayed by a week because my GFís grandpa passed away. As sad as it is Iím a little relieved cause I was stressed about getting my Carnet in time!

New obstacle though, my insurance says they donít have jurisdiction in Kenya Tanzania and Rwanda... Anyone had the same issue? What SA insurance companies cover East AFRICA as well?

Thanks again,

Tim Hulme

Cross country, marsh, alexander forbes, hollard, santam, loyds of london

2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hein100 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hein100 View Post
    Really ok, I am going to ask my broker to investigate these options. Unfortunately I know a lot of them offer it, but not within the first 6 months. By the time I've owned the car for 6 months I will hopefully have driven to Rwanda and back.

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

Quote Originally Posted by hein100 View Post
    How you finding the T Cross btw? My GF is dying to get one!

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel