Gwm steed 5 2.0 VGT 4x4 engaging info

Default Gwm steed 5 2.0 VGT 4x4 engaging info

Hi guys i would like some advise from the guys driving the 2015 steed 5 2.0 VGT 4x4.

O tried out my 4x4 this weekend and got stuck trying to get out of a quarry for 4 hours😡

Gwm here aint sure of the engagement procedure etc.

So what i want to know. Is how to engage the 4x4 properly. Should the vehicle be standing still and be in neutral when pressing the 4L or 4H buttons? Should i reverse while pressing the buttons?

When do i know if it is indeed engaged. What mine does is the red light next to the 4l and 4h buttons will flash and then be on permanenetly, but then there is a green 4wd light on my instrument cluster that keeps flashing, should this light also stay on permanenetly if engaged or is the flashing normal?

It is as though we were in 4x4 but we could not get tracksion uphill, it will either be the rear right or the rear right wheel that would start to spin and then we were stuck. Its as if the bakkie was not pulling with the front wheels at all.

Any ideas or info will be freatly appreciatted as i do not want to damage my vehicle in any way and if there is a fault idd like to get it sorted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200217-142024_Video Player.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	558545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200217-142007_Video Player.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	558546  

Default Re: Gwm steed 5 2.0 VGT 4x4 engaging info

Hi you can switch between 2H and 4H without stopping or pressing the clutch up to 60km/h

For 4L you need to put the car in neutral, clutch all the way in and then press 4L for a few seconds.

The little red light will light up and the green one on the dash will come on as well, if it flickers 4x4 is not engaged.

If you want to go back to 2H/4H stop the vehicle neutral clutch in and press the desired button.

The Steed does not have diff lock nor traction control so if you loose traction on one front and one rear wheel you wont be going anywhere.
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

Ok, so in other words if my green 4wd light keeps flashing im not in 4x4, so i was not in 4x4 then. what could cause 4x4 not to engage, i can hear a relay click on left of my dash but dont hear any machanical noises like its engaging

Quote Originally Posted by Steed5lh View Post
    Ok, so in other words if my green 4wd light keeps flashing im not in 4x4, so i was not in 4x4 then. what could cause 4x4 not to engage, i can hear a relay click on left of my dash but dont hear any machanical noises like its engaging
    Maybe try engaging again but this time hold the button for a few seconds and make sure the clutch is all the way down, if it still flashes something is wrong and it does not engage.
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

Thanks for the advise Willie, i will give it a go after work today, will update accordingly. Thanks again

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Steed5lh For This Useful Post:

FWM

Just an update, i tried it last night, it definately goes into low range as its extremely powerfull and slow, im just not sure if the frong diff is pulling though. I checked under the gearbox and found a sensor with a gear that is held in place with a fork and a nut. Im not sure what this is but it looks like this will be ther to drive a shaft in and out or something. (Pic attached). No this whole thing was loose, i pulled it out with a lot of compression letting loose at that moment from the box. The fork was in the wrong position as it is suppuse to lock into 2 grooves on that sensor casineg.....so i put everything back the correct way and fastened. Still need to go test maybe this will sort my blinking 4wd light as this still keeps flashing even when in low range
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Steed5lh View Post
    Just an update, i tried it last night, it definately goes into low range as its extremely powerfull and slow, im just not sure if the frong diff is pulling though. I checked under the gearbox and found a sensor with a gear that is held in place with a fork and a nut. Im not sure what this is but it looks like this will be ther to drive a shaft in and out or something. (Pic attached). No this whole thing was loose, i pulled it out with a lot of compression letting loose at that moment from the box. The fork was in the wrong position as it is suppuse to lock into 2 grooves on that sensor casineg.....so i put everything back the correct way and fastened. Still need to go test maybe this will sort my blinking 4wd light as this still keeps flashing even when in low range
    Hi. So did this sort out your problem?
    2012 Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4x4 (Work)
    2005 VW Golf V 2.0 fsi auto (personal)

Hi

Yes it definately engages and is in 4L

Im guessing it was the fact that i did loose traction on some wheels and due to it not having difflock thats why we got stuck in the first place.

Only thing is, the green 4wd light still just blinks, it does not stay on when engaged