Discovery 3 Building a mechanically reliable TDv6 Engine

Default Building a mechanically reliable TDv6 Engine

Dear Fellow online community

I come to you knowledgeable folks looking for tips & tricks evens some sorcery, on building a mechanically reliable discovery 3 TDV6 Engine

any info will be deeply appreciated!!

briefly, this is the 2nd time my engine kicked the bucket. First, the head gasket blow as a result of a cracked plastic thermostat housing, this was back in 2014

in December last year, the engine seized up. since then it's been parked in a garage waiting for me to start working on it

I am now in a position to commence work hence the reason for me asking for advice before proceeding

thanks in advance

Default Re: Building a mechanically reliable TDv6 Engine

Did the crank snap? What caused the second failure?
    Last edited by lizardalpha; 2020/02/17 at 02:12 PM.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Most important aspect is finding the cause of the initial failure...

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6.
    2003 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 - Surprisingly capable
    1996 Suzuki Samurai - work in progress

I will start stripping this weekend all that I know for sure is that the engine is sized

Quote Originally Posted by hound View Post
    Dear Fellow online community

I come to you knowledgeable folks looking for tips & tricks evens some sorcery, on building a mechanically reliable discovery 3 TDV6 Engine

any info will be deeply appreciated!!

briefly, this is the 2nd time my engine kicked the bucket. First, the head gasket blow as a result of a cracked plastic thermostat housing, this was back in 2014

in December last year, the engine seized up. since then it's been parked in a garage waiting for me to start working on it

I am now in a position to commence work hence the reason for me asking for advice before proceeding

thanks in advance
    I know that many manufacturers use plastic thermostat housings but isn't that a recipe for disaster?

Losing coolant and the consequent overheating kills a lot of engines.

If you really want to sell an expensive SUV with a plastic thermostat housing , it better be so good nobody will ever have to complain.

So my advice is: see if there's an aftermarket aluminium stat housing for the TDV6.

Start with basics.

Unless something has changed, I was under the impression rebuild parts for these motors werenít available, and the only option was a sub assembly from LR. Has this changed? Are parts for this motor available now?

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    Unless something has changed, I was under the impression rebuild parts for these motors werenít available, and the only option was a sub assembly from LR. Has this changed? Are parts for this motor available now?
    Different issue than the crank one I believe.
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - mods list to be updated [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Different issue than the crank one I believe.
    OP clearly stated engine is seized.... whether crank or not, itís going to need a bottom end rebuild. Pistons/Rings/bearings etc.

if itís become possible to rebuild this motor instead of buy a sub assembly from LR, thatís good news

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    OP clearly stated engine is seized.... whether crank or not, itís going to need a bottom end rebuild. Pistons/Rings/bearings etc.

if itís become possible to rebuild this motor instead of buy a sub assembly from LR, thatís good news
    Hi All

if it is a 5A or 6A with the originial crank only!!!, yes it can be rebuilt. LRXtreme did such a job very successfully in 2018.

If it is a 2007 or later model, hands off a bottom rebuild. Source a factory sub only.

If in any doubt whatsoever, that the engine does not have its original crank, then go the factory sub route.

The above is the reason that we have kept our 5A TDV6 (2005), otherwise it would have been swopped for a V8 a very long time ago.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Hound, at the severe risk of showing very bad form in posting this, I dont think mechanical reliability and Tdv6 should be used in the same sentence.

However, I wish you bon chance with your endeavor and hope you get your D back on the road as soon as possible and at the least expense.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by hgbosch View Post
    Hi All

if it is a 5A or 6A with the originial crank only!!!, yes it can be rebuilt. LRXtreme did such a job very successfully in 2018.

If it is a 2007 or later model, hands off a bottom rebuild. Source a factory sub only.

If in any doubt whatsoever, that the engine does not have its original crank, then go the factory sub route.

The above is the reason that we have kept our 5A TDV6 (2005), otherwise it would have been swopped for a V8 a very long time ago.
    is there no aftermarket billet cranks etc available that are stronger/better than the original?

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    I know that many manufacturers use plastic thermostat housings but isn't that a recipe for disaster?

Losing coolant and the consequent overheating kills a lot of engines.

If you really want to sell an expensive SUV with a plastic thermostat housing , it better be so good nobody will ever have to complain.

So my advice is: see if there's an aftermarket aluminium stat housing for the TDV6.

Start with basics.
    Hi Tashtego

yes that is available from OZ. Not cheap, but seems to be a bullet proof mod.

https://triumphroverspares.com.au/product/water-outlet/
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by hgbosch; 2020/02/18 at 07:52 AM.
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hgbosch For This Useful Post: