RSI Evo cano security question

Default RSI Evo cano security question

Morning all,

I'm looking for some advise on canopy security, specifically the new RSI evo on a Ranger Wildtrak. I'm not necessarily questioning the canopy make or model - I've looked at a number of canopies and the RSI seems to tick most boxes and the new Evo really fits the Ranger well (other than being quite expensive!). My question is more around general security, in that I operate part time as a paramedic and generally have my jumpbag, oxygen, drug bag, etc in the back. Currently I have an Armadillo cover and while it's secure, it leaks like a sieve... I thought a good non-fiberglass canopy would be the way to go, but I'm concerned about overall security. The Evo glass is quite darkly tinted and I guess I could put even darker "anti-smash on it" making it virtually impossible to see in. The locks appear quite decent.

I'm wondering about general experiences with this type of canopy and whether they are considered secure?

Any thoughts appreciated!

(Hope this is the best place for this type of question )

Thanks
    Neil

Default Re: RSI Evo cano security question

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.insa View Post
    Morning all,

I'm looking for some advise on canopy security, specifically the new RSI evo on a Ranger Wildtrak. I'm not necessarily questioning the canopy make or model - I've looked at a number of canopies and the RSI seems to tick most boxes and the new Evo really fits the Ranger well (other than being quite expensive!). My question is more around general security, in that I operate part time as a paramedic and generally have my jumpbag, oxygen, drug bag, etc in the back. Currently I have an Armadillo cover and while it's secure, it leaks like a sieve... I thought a good non-fiberglass canopy would be the way to go, but I'm concerned about overall security. The Evo glass is quite darkly tinted and I guess I could put even darker "anti-smash on it" making it virtually impossible to see in. The locks appear quite decent.

I'm wondering about general experiences with this type of canopy and whether they are considered secure?

Any thoughts appreciated!

(Hope this is the best place for this type of question )

Thanks
    Neil

Neil, I have the RSI EVO canopy on my Amarok, and I specifically chose the metal side doors because I was concerned about security - in my case more for when I'm travelling with a full load of camping equipment. Personally, I think the solid doors look better as well.

I think a (locked) steel canopy is about as secure as you make a bak.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanRoux View Post
    Neil, I have the RSI EVO canopy on my Amarok, and I specifically chose the metal side doors because I was concerned about security - in my case more for when I'm travelling with a full load of camping equipment. Personally, I think the solid doors look better as well.

I think a (locked) steel canopy is about as secure as you make a bak.
    Thanks Johan, appreciated the feedback. I was told by the guys who quoted that the steel doors are no longer available on the Evo, only on the previous version, because that was my preferred option. Perhaps I need to go back to them on this / chat to RSI directly.

Neil
    Last edited by Neil.insa; 2020/02/17 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.insa View Post
    Thanks Johan, appreciated the feedback. I was told by the guys who quoted that the steel doors are no longer available on the Evo, only on the previous version, because that was my preferred option. Perhaps I need to go back to them on this / chat to RSI directly.

Neil
    I think that's BS, I got my EVO canopy at the beginning of January..

You go through a process of "building" the canopy online where you can choose your extras. One of the (no cost) options, is for the metal rather than glass side doors. The others are for extra lights, kitchen units, roof racks, and so on.

I must add that it looks like almost everybody is opting for the glass, I don't think I've seen another one with the metal doors. Even the guys at Seikel had a good look at my canopy when I collected something from their workshop about 3 weeks ago - it was the first time any of them had seen the metal doors.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanRoux For This Useful Post:

Canopies security is a problem.

A friend of mine coming through the Transkei in December, while stopped in traffic, 4 chaps pulled open the canopy back door, took a lot of force but they got it open.

My d\c cab had a canvas square dark grey cover that was at the height of the bakkie sides / and start of the canopy. It had lightly tinted windows. When the cover was on and one looked inside it looked like an empty bakkie bin. It was brilliant as the bin even 3/4 full looked completely empty. Taking all temptation away.

The other way is to have locked containers inside the canopy, too big to fit through the windows. So they have to break in twice to get to stuff.

Every trip I do through the Transkei even in my land cruiser 76 suv, I cover the stuff in the back with 80% black shade cloth, it's almost impossible to see what's inside, and goods can't be targeted before breaking in. Most break in's, they see and target goods, before breaking the window.

Also have an alarm in the back of the bakkie, fit with a plug so canopy can be removed or alarm disconnected if required.
    Last edited by K-9; 2020/02/18 at 09:55 AM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    SOLD 2020 Jan.
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to K-9 For This Useful Post: