Botswana Itinerary 13 Days March/April

Default Botswana Itinerary 13 Days March/April

Hi all

Have planned a Botswana travel itinerary for 13 days for which I have some concerns so just checking with you for advice and recommendations. The trip starts and ends from Maun

Day 1: Maun – Xakanaka/ Third bridge campsite
    Day 2: (morning boat safari) Khwai Campsite
    Day 3: Savuti campsite
    Day 4:Lodge Ghoha Hills
    Day 5:linyati Campsite
    Day 6:Ihaha campsite
    Day 7: Chobe safari lodge ( Sunset boat cruise)
    Day 8:Nxai Pan baines baobab campsite
    Day 9:Nxai Pan south camp campsite
    Day 10:Lodge: Meno a Kwena Lodge
    Day 11: CKGR Camping Deception Valley
    Day 12: CKGR Camping Leopard pan or exiting by Tsau gate then (Passarge camp or motopi)
    Day 13:Return to Maun

Any specific recommendation for driving conditions for above itinerary during end march and beginning April? We will be travelling in a single vehicle.

Is the drive from Kasane to Nxai Pan feasible in one day or should i rather sleep somewhere on the way? Any recommendation for this?

In the CKGR is it feasible to cross the park from Matswere gate to Tsau gate with two nights? First night around deception valley and second at passarge or motopi? Or should I just stay around deception valley for 2 night?

Any other recommendations and advice very much appreciated.

Default Re: Botswana Itinerary 13 Days March/April

What’s the rush? You haven’t got more than one night at a campsite.

Concentrate on Moremi and Chobe, or do the drier parks but to do an itinerary like yours will not feel like a holiday.

It sounds a bit rushed to me as well, unless it is a recce trip to see where you would like to spend more time with a next trip. I would cut out the Kasane leg and focus on Moremi, Baines, Kubu Island and CKGR. But I suppose you have bookings already, so it may be difficult to make changes at this late stage.
    Enjoy!

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    What’s the rush? You haven’t got more than one night at a campsite.

Concentrate on Moremi and Chobe, or do the drier parks but to do an itinerary like yours will not feel like a holiday.
    Thanks for your advice, It all depends on what you like. I enjoy driving... even more when you drive and at same time you are doing game drive. Have done several "rush" trips like this in the past and they felt like great holidays. Also combining the trip with lodges helps.

I travel with a roof top tent so i have to pack everyday in order to go out on a game drive so staying two nights at same campsite doesn't really make a big difference.

Agree, choose Moremi/Chobe or CKGR/Nxai.

Driving from one campsite to the other on a daily basis is more like hard work than a holiday. When driving from one to the other, game viewing will not be ideal because you will often not be covering the most game rich areas and you will be somewhat in a rush.

At least 2 nights per campsite gives you at least one day for dedicated game drives.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Agree, choose Moremi/Chobe or CKGR/Nxai.

Driving from one campsite to the other on a daily basis is more like hard work than a holiday. When driving from one to the other, game viewing will not be ideal because you will often not be covering the most game rich areas and you will be somewhat in a rush.

At least 2 nights per campsite gives you at least one day for dedicated game drives.

True... an option could also be to skip the CKGR and just do Moremi/chobe and Nxai pans. Wished i had more days.

Quote Originally Posted by Guimero View Post
    Hi all

Have planned a Botswana travel itinerary for 13 days for which I have some concerns so just checking with you for advice and recommendations. The trip starts and ends from Maun

Day 1: Maun – Xakanaka/ Third bridge campsite
    Day 2: (morning boat safari) Khwai Campsite
    Day 3: Savuti campsite
    Day 4:Lodge Ghoha Hills
    Day 5:linyati Campsite
    Day 6:Ihaha campsite
    Day 7: Chobe safari lodge ( Sunset boat cruise)
    Day 8:Nxai Pan baines baobab campsite
    Day 9:Nxai Pan south camp campsite
    Day 10:Lodge: Meno a Kwena Lodge
    Day 11: CKGR Camping Deception Valley
    Day 12: CKGR Camping Leopard pan or exiting by Tsau gate then (Passarge camp or motopi)
    Day 13:Return to Maun

Any specific recommendation for driving conditions for above itinerary during end march and beginning April? We will be travelling in a single vehicle.

Is the drive from Kasane to Nxai Pan feasible in one day or should i rather sleep somewhere on the way? Any recommendation for this?

In the CKGR is it feasible to cross the park from Matswere gate to Tsau gate with two nights? First night around deception valley and second at passarge or motopi? Or should I just stay around deception valley for 2 night?

Any other recommendations and advice very much appreciated.
    I think your driving style is fine, if that is what you prefer. We at times will burn a day just driving from one spot to another and that works for us.

Kasane to Nxai Pan is doable in one day. We actually drove from Ihaha to Nxai Pan in one day. We left Ihaha when we were allowed, and drove straight through to Kasane. We would have stopped for exceptional sightings, but this was on of those days we had just budgeted for a long drive.

I would stay the two nights minimum in CKGR. We drove from Sunday Pan #3 to Tsau Gate early morning, and were out of the reserve before noon, so that is possible as well.

From nxai I would rather cross the road and stay at khumaga and njuca hills (njuca has no facilities) rather than going down to ckgr - but otherwise perfect trip we also move daily - getting fm place to place is part of the trip - as u say just a longer game drive.
    Finally got rid of that annoying sound in the 4x4, opened the door and pushed him out