Buying a Treg in Brisbane

Default Buying a Treg in Brisbane

Hey guys.

We are emigrating to Brisbane.

I am thinking of buying a Treg there in the R150000 range. We absolutely loved my 2006 here in SA. But I had access to decent help mechanilly and cheap to boot with regards to sourcing parts and having things repaired etc.

What do you guys think? Im going over with just me working. I will have a company ute. So the Treg will be a second car for running around and week ends away etc.

Thoughts please. Is an older Treg going to kill me on maintenance?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ozosborne For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Buying a Treg in Brisbane

Like a roofless workshop.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Robbief For This Useful Post:

I see very few of them on the roads here, they are about, but thin on the ground. Labour is very pricey in general, so if it requires much maintenance you are going to want to be doing it yourself.

Which area of Brissy?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    I see very few of them on the roads here, they are about, but thin on the ground. Labour is very pricey in general, so if it requires much maintenance you are going to want to be doing it yourself.

Which area of Brissy?
    Thanks for the info. I will be working in Slacks Creek.

Is one allowed working on cars etc by yourself? As in no strange laws prohibiting such?

For some reason the Tregs are pretty affordable. But a double cab ute / bakkie is damn pricey. Why is this?

I assume seeing as there are not many tregs, parts might be a problem?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ozosborne For This Useful Post:

Slacks creek heh? You’ll need a Holden with a broken taillight and one odd coloured panel to fit in. .

Why are double cab utes “expensive”? Because they’re desirable:

How many cars, how many utes? The SUV in the photo below is a home owner doing inspection. Oz economy is built on small owner operated businesses, for this a Ute with a tray is easily the best option. Sometimes a Ute with a tradie trailer if the stuff he works with is bulky.

Did a little experiment and counted all the SUVs I saw on the ride to work today. ~65 SUVs, 6 LC200s, 3 Patrols, a lot of Prados, lots of typical small town SUV’s. For interest sake also 1 Fortuner, 1 Q7, 1 Q5, 0 Tregs. 50% of the cars would have been utes. I live out in semi-rural area on the outskirts of town and only cycle 15km in to work, so I wasn’t on a highway or anything, but it does reinforce my perception that tregs are vary scarce.

When you say tregs are cheap and Utes expensive, I’m assuming you mean secondhand. I haven’t looked lately, but you could get a brand new Triton 4x4 DC for $35k drive awaylast year. I doubt you could get that in SA.

Unfortunately I can’t help with the price of Treg parts. Maybe compare some parts on Supercheap Auto to SA. Would give you an idea.

As for working on your own car, as long as you keep it standard “she’ll be alright”. One of the young engineers who works for me has a riced up Lancer EVO. The cops are on his case whenever they get a chance. If you lift your car too much (<75mm iirc), you will get defected if caught. Our workshop manager has a 65 Commodore with 600hp supercharged V8 he built in his garage, which is legal because he got the correct sign offs.

Hope that helps, and good luck with the move. You are about to tackle one of the most challenging things you will ever do, but it’s awesome. If you ever need to chat when you’re here drop me a line.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceB For This Useful Post:

Volkswagen servicing and parts are very expensive compared to other brands and makes here.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wdw For This Useful Post:

If you are on Facebook, search and join the "VW Touareg Owners" group.

There are Touareg owners from all over the world on the group, including some Australian guys and some ex Saffas now residing in Aus. Perhaps worth while to enquire there too.
    Anton van Graan

2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6

are your permitted to import second hand cars from japan in Aus ? are there restrictions ? are there silly import taxes like Sa?

if not this might be an option

https://www.sbtjapan.com/used-cars/v...ouareg#listbox

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark