Home solar setup advise - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Home solar setup advise

A light bulb moment for me...

I realized that my intended solar system has limitations. The batteries, expecting to run power from battery during the evening for 12 hours will put a lot of strain on them. Batteries are a weak link in any system, discharging them daily greater than 30% will reduce their lifespan. And replacement will come at a huge cost.

So, the smarter approach for my needs is to run power from utility at night and instead keep battery only for backup during load shedding.
    So battery backup for 3 hours should be sufficient.

This means some more affordable Axpertís will be a good option, however, I would want to mix energy during the day (utility + PV). And I am convinced the Axperts do not mix energy. This makes Solis and others in that price bracket a very attractive option.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SchyffS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SchyffS View Post

I realized that my intended solar system has limitations. The batteries, expecting to run power from battery during the evening for 12 hours will put a lot of strain on them. Batteries are a weak link in any system, discharging them daily greater than 30% will reduce their lifespan. And replacement will come at a huge cost.

This means some more affordable Axpert’s will be a good option, however, I would want to mix energy during the day (utility + PV). And I am convinced the Axperts do not mix energy. This makes Solis and others in that price bracket a very attractive option.
    Spot on!
    If you could refine the setup, the Axpert only charges the batteries when the Solis is producing enough, you will save even more.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2020/02/18 at 11:12 PM.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Only if you use Lead Acid. If you go Lithium you save money over using Eskom at night. I just did the calculation today.
    Attached Files Attached Files

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kari For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    Only if you use Lead Acid. If you go Lithium you save money over using Eskom at night. I just did the calculation today.
    Absolutely!

That calc I posted, it makes ones hair stand on end when you see how many lead acid batteries you would need for your "small loads".

Only caveat with lithium's, unless you have a big bank, stick to the max discharge current, or the BMS switches off the bank off. Like on the smaller banks, the beloved 2.4kWH Pylontech, note the max discharge/ charge amps.

But that is pure info ... lithium's saves a lot of Eskom over their estimated - until proven - +-16 years of life.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    Spot on!
    If you could refine the setup, the Axpert only charges the batteries when the Solis is producing enough, you will save even more.
    Well the Solis is a connect and forget inverter. No settings. It just sits there silently and produces power every day. Easy to use timers to switch Axpert charging off while the geyser heats up and when geyser is off the power charges the batteries.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Well the Solis is a connect and forget inverter. No settings. It just sits there silently and produces power every day.
    O it has settings. :-)
    Also get the data dongle thingie ... it is good to see what it generates.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Easy to use timers to switch Axpert charging off while the geyser heats up and when geyser is off the power charges the batteries.
    I never thought of a timer on a Axperts input to decided when it draws power from Eskom ... quite a novel idea! And cheap.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    O it has settings. :-)
    Also get the data dongle thingie ... it is good to see what it generates.

I never thought of a timer on a Axperts input to decided when it draws power from Eskom ... quite a novel idea! And cheap.
    The Solis has quite a number of settings like power system type and voltage, custom CT clamp ratio if you don't use the Solis clamp. These are meant for the installer to set. The defaults can be used as it is shipped. Default is for the CT clamp not to prevent export.

Yes the dongle is a nice gadget to see all system values like PV volts, Watts, Freq, AC power, AC Amps. Full history of power generated and all this data can be exported in text format./day/month/year(CSV)

Power graph.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watts.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	558867

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Does the Solis have an app based platform for iOS or Android?

Hi, for the peeps that is interested, here is the spec of the inverter i am using:

KODAK Solar Off-Grid Inverter King With UPS 5kW 48V

Product Description
    In rural or end-of-line locations, the AC grid voltage can fluctuate across a wide range. Voltage that is sufficiently far from the nominal 230V can cause appliances to run much less efficiently or make them unable to function.
    Most other inverters that are capable of running in Island Mode simply pass through the variable grid voltage and only produce a smooth 230V supply in the event of a grid failure.
    Kodak's King Off-Grid inverter is perfect for areas where grid electricity is less stable because it produces smooth 230V AC at all times, whether the grid is available or not.
    This is great for efficient running of appliances, but crucial for an uninterrupted supply for important loads such as servers or ATMs.
    Built-in Bluetooth for mobile monitoring Detachable LCD control module with multiple communications (Android App is available)
    Supports USB On-the-Go function
    Reserved communication port for BMS (RS485, CAN-BUS or RS232)
    Configurable AC/PV output usage timer and prioritization
    Parallel operation up to 9 units
    Robust UPS (uninterrupted power supply) for essential loads with zero transfer time

Note: The Kodak King inverter has a CAN-bus port included, which means a direct connection to Pylontech batteries is possible. Therefore, no other control module, such as the ICC, is needed.

Product Specifications

Weight: 15 kg
    Rated Power: 5,000 W
    Min PPT Voltage: 60 V
    Max PPT Voltage: 115 V
    DC Startup Voltage: 30 V
    DC Shutdown Voltage: 30 V
    Max Input Voltage: 145 V
    Max DC Power: 3,600 W
    Max AC Power: 5,000 W
    Max DC Current: 80 A
    Max DC Inputs: 1
    Has DC Fuses: 0
    Connector: Screw Terminal
    Included Connectors: 1
    Euro Efficiency: 93 %
    Transformer: None
    IP Rating: IP20
    MPPT Trackers: 1
    Has Integrated DC Switch: No
    Warranty: 2 years
    2019 Wildtrak 4x4 Bi-Turbo - Current
    2017 Everest 2.2 XLT - Son driving it now
    2016 Ranger 3.2 Manual - Sold

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Predator For This Useful Post:

I see Kodak inverters are also appearing on the NRS list ... good!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

19. The Following User Says Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Looking at pictures ... what are the chances that the Kodak brand is a but re-branded Voltronic inverters?

EDIT: That 145max volt on the MPPT is a trademark op Axperts, no?
    Marketing is cleared though i.e. "Off Gird" inverter.
    And Voltronic do craft good UPS'es, offline / inline and online - online being the best protection one can buy.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2020/02/20 at 12:27 PM.

Can a 3 phase inverter be used in a single phase home supply? Some of the Solis inverters are 3 phase. Iím no electrician...so apologies for this question, just want to be sure that it canít be used. Some of the 3 phase has better technical specs than single phase.

Does the Solis have an app based platform for iOS or Android?
    The new web based and Android has a APP but I have not been able to get it to work on the web or cell.

As everything is just working all the time the data is not there to act on but just to be able to see what took place. Most things you cannot and need not do any changes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solis-graphs.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	558926

Can a 3 phase inverter be used in a single phase home supply? Some of the Solis inverters are 3 phase. I’m no electrician...so apologies for this question, just want to be sure that it can’t be used. Some of the 3 phase has better technical specs than single phase.
    No. You can only have grid tied based on the grid input. Cannot make what you don't have.

3 Phase are generally for bigger installations so it stans to reason the specs are better. Just like a basic Golf cannot have more equipment and gadgets than a Audi Q7.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/02/20 at 02:57 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Can a 3 phase inverter be used in a single phase home supply?
    Nope as Ekkekan said.

The reverse is true. You can have a single phase inverter on one phase of a 3 phase DB.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Because we have controllers that can drive a 3 phase motor from single phase we cannot create 3 phase from single phase for powering an installlation.

Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Hi, for the peeps that is interested, here is the spec of the inverter i am using:

KODAK Solar Off-Grid Inverter King With UPS 5kW 48V
    What configuration are you using it? And what is your experience with it?

@ ekkekan and @ ttt, thatís what I thought concerning 3 phase. Thanks for clearing that up.

Iím getting quotes for the Solis and installation.
    I donít have space in the house for the setup, only place is in the garage. Itís about 15-20m away from the main DB. Will this be problematic?

@ ekkekan and @ ttt, thatís what I thought concerning 3 phase. Thanks for clearing that up.

Iím getting quotes for the Solis and installation.
    I donít have space in the house for the setup, only place is in the garage. Itís about 15-20m away from the main DB. Will this be problematic?
    Pleasure.

No, on AC makes no difference how far the Solis sits.

The only two places distance is an issue on solar/UPS/Panels, are:
    1) The distance from the batts to a inverter - voltage drop - batt volts are fixed so distance has a max.
    2) Distance from the panels to the MPPT - voltage drop - solved with higher voltages (if MPPT can take them) and/or thicker cable.
    In other words, with DC only we worry about distances.

Just ONE thought for you to check: What temp does the garage reach? Can the Solis handle that?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Iím getting quotes for the Solis and installation.. Itís about 15-20m away from the main DB. Will this be problematic?
    Not a problem. It could be in any room and connected to the grid.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast