• Lasts a week of more, might need 4x4, accomodation mostly self reliant

45 30.00%
  • As above, but also requires navigation/mapreading

16 10.67%
  • As above, requires map reading/navigation, accomodation irrelevant

21 14.00%
  • As above, but must cross a country border

17 11.33%
  • As above, but requires full self reliance. Incudes unmapped terrain/areas with no roads

39 26.00%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: What is overlanding?

For those who think one cannot overland in a small 4x4 vehicle, go check out:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSl...502y5dRAp4ZGJg

http://roamoverlanding.com/

Some really great vids!
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Raider 4X4 M/T D/C

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WildThingCT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hermine View Post
    Do i look like someone that pitches camp to you?

I sleep in my car. The wrangler is a tad to short for me
    hahahahaha, thats fair enough I guess but I thought a mere slip of a girl like you would have ample space in a Wrangler
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingCT View Post
    For those who think one cannot overland in a small 4x4 vehicle, go check out:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSl...502y5dRAp4ZGJg

http://roamoverlanding.com/

Some really great vids!
    Indeed. Awesome channel and they have what they need.

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Reading some of the posts, it appears that ''Overlanding'' has been reduced to a time extended camping trip due to everyone following the same, now well worn routes.
    Why reduced, surely if they are well worn routes, that should be expanded to, not reduced.

Can't argue with facts. Africa today has very few places that have not been travelled. Those places that still need exploring are inaccessible due to many reasons such as war and civil strife. Recreational overlanding has had a huge upswing in popularity because now people can go and overland to area's that are relatively safe and vehicle and gear has now become affordable enough for people to be self sufficient in the bush. Trying to pigeon hole overlanding is the same as pigeon holing air travel
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

I will pose a question.

The first time you (anyone) heard the world "overlanding", did you 1) look up its definition 2) go on the definition provided in the context of the discussion you first heard the word or 3) create your own definition over time of what you thought it was?

Therein lies the answer or else the number 42

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    I will pose a question.

The first time you (anyone) heard the world "overlanding", did you 1) look up its definition 2) go on the definition provided in the context of the discussion you first heard the word or 3) create your own definition over time of what you thought it was?

Therein lies the answer or else the number 42
    I will bite. Have been “overlanding” since as long back as I remember. It’s always been how our family holidays. As a little kid, I knew the overland trucks full of Germans and Hollanders as Overlanders. That definition is still how I describe those trips now.

we didn’t overland, we just went on trips. Some of them were pretty remote.

in today’s context of “overlanding” and how’s it’s used on this forum, I do feel that there needs to be something that separates it from road-tripping or a camping holiday.

I have currently been on the road for almost three weeks, with 2 collueges from Europe. We started in Maun, via Kasane, through Chobe, across the Kaprivi, spent a few days in Etosha, then some more on the skeleton coast, and are now in Swakop. My collueges will fly back to Europe from here, I will drive back to SA.

besides the fact that this was a working trip, it still fits the bill for many peoples understanding of overlanding. We travel some rough roads, we even got stuck a few times. We saw lots of animals, we crossed country borders. We did not camp. But if you ask me what kind of trip this was, I would call it a road trip.

I do a lot of Overlanding with my 4x2,even did 5 Provinces and a few 3 province trips.... More than most 4x4ers
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    , I do feel that there needs to be something that separates it from road-tripping or a camping holiday..
    I still dont understand why we need a distinction. Is it just to wear a badge? What is the point?

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hermine For This Useful Post:

besides the fact that this was a working trip, it still fits the bill for many peoples understanding of overlanding. We travel some rough roads, we even got stuck a few times. We saw lots of animals, we crossed country borders. We did not camp. But if you ask me what kind of trip this was, I would call it a road trip.
    There is an interesting point. Road is defined as a ''wide way leading from one place to another, especially one with a specially prepared surface which vehicles can use''.

The use of the word ''especially'' would seem to indicate that it doesnt preclude gravel roads which vehicles can use. Based on the previously presented definitions, you would be road tripping on tar or gravel or any prepared surface but not necessarily so if the route you are on isnt specially prepared.

I agree.. Who cares! As long as you enjoy it with whatever vehicle you drive, wherever you sleep and whatever comforts you want to take with you. Call it a road trip or overland trip or camping or whatever. Every "trip" most often comprises some or all of the above in any case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermine View Post
    I still dont understand why we need a distinction. Is it just to wear a badge? What is the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Why reduced, surely if they are well worn routes, that should be expanded to, not reduced.

Can't argue with facts. Africa today has very few places that have not been travelled. Those places that still need exploring are inaccessible due to many reasons such as war and civil strife. Recreational overlanding has had a huge upswing in popularity because now people can go and overland to area's that are relatively safe and vehicle and gear has now become affordable enough for people to be self sufficient in the bush. Trying to pigeon hole overlanding is the same as pigeon holing air travel
    The point I wish to make is that following a well traveled route and staying in designated camp sites is not the same as following a track with no designated camp sites and therefore, if you follow the same routes as 100s of others and stay in established camp sites you are touring and camping.

In this vein, the days of Overlanding are well and truly gone and it is, i.m.o. a defunct word albeit with a certain romantacism which some, especially those who remember the days of tracks and wild camping, hang on to and tourist operators use to attract clients.

When Pan Am were still operating, they called their 747s Clippers. These aircraft were far from the original Clipper sea planes that plied the same routes but they kept the word to harken back to the pioneering days of trans-Atlantic flight and high levels of luxury for a very few.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Simply put, overloading is taking your fridge for a long drive and successfully keeping it cold.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gone Cruisin' For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Cruisin' View Post
    Simply put, overloading is taking your fridge for a long drive and successfully keeping it cold.
    Eish.... ek het nie eers n fridge nie 🤦#♀️

As above, but requires full self reliance. Incudes unmapped terrain/areas with no roads

Most votes going to the last. Just wondering how many have driven in the veld with no roads. Can be very hard on a 4x4.
    New generation SUV`s, DC`s, SC`s won`t be able to do this without serious damage to body panels. This type of driving will leave your 4x4 with scratches that don`t just buff out. Behold if it is an area with Driedoring and Haakbos. Bye Bye ABS sensors, wiring and anything that can be hooked.

Think very few on this forum have overlanded or even 4x4`ed in areas with absolute no roads. I am not talking about overgrown roads but like veld were no vehicle have ever traveled
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    As above, but requires full self reliance. Incudes unmapped terrain/areas with no roads

Most votes going to the last. Just wondering how many have driven in the veld with no roads. Can be very hard on a 4x4.
    New generation SUV`s, DC`s, SC`s won`t be able to do this without serious damage to body panels. This type of driving will leave your 4x4 with scratches that don`t just buff out. Behold if it is an area with Driedoring and Haakbos. Bye Bye ABS sensors, wiring and anything that can be hooked.

Think very few on this forum have overlanded or even 4x4`ed in areas with absolute no roads. I am not talking about overgrown roads but like veld were no vehicle have ever traveled
    Thankfully its seldom that one would need to, or even want to, ‘ bundu-bash ‘ without roads or old tracks ... ways through remote areas tend to follow routes of earlier predecessors ... right back to animal tracks and pathways that developed from them and so on etc. Sometimes if having real necessity to find a river-crossing or pass-way through range of hills etc one needs leave existing tracks or roads... to find a way.
    As a Geo in the Namib and later in Oman though, I often travelled where there were few or no roads or tracks... little vegetation to hinder one and usually either move along on the flat plateau-land or along the valleys or Wadis ... very often rather using the latter even though heavier going with soft sand ... they are courseways which show up on maps etc which can be very relevant!

So yes very negligible amount of disruptive but necessary bush-winding and raw traversing, thankfully.
    Its not just a matter of car damage & scratching etc ... one shouldnt want to
    scar the veldt and be unnecessarily impactful.
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2020/02/18 at 07:43 AM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. : Own the road...Any road
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8... The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP... Simply Classic...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ... A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BushNomad For This Useful Post:

To me, overlanding is cruising around in a vehicle (whatever it may be) with no real planned route or schedule, and you get home when you get home. or actually, you dont have a home, your vehicle is your home.

None of us overland. We go on holidays.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

The thread about carrying 2 spares or not, as well as the recent thread about buying an overlander for 150k, both of which are very interesting discussions, got me thinking about what different people see as overlanding, and more importantly, where the barrier between road trips/overlanding sits.

I did a search and saw there was a thread a few years ago, but instead of reviving that, I think it’s time for a new discussion, and a poll. (This is not meant as a peer reviewed, controlled focus group poll, I tried to cover as many scenarios as possible, pick the one that suits your definition best, but feel free to elaborate on your definitions in a post).

The dictionary/Wikipedia definitions are pretty straight forward, and basically any journey on land taking at least a couple of days, up to months or years, with any vehicle, is overlanding. I want this to be more specific to the self-drive 4x4 market. So let’s ignore bike trips, horse trails and overland truck groups.

what does overlanding as a 4x4 driver mean to you, and when does a Road Trip become an Overland Trip?
    If there is a need for carrying two spares then you are overlanding
    FJC - Just Cruising

I like this very simple explanation;
    Overlanding is vehicle dependent travel. That’s it.

https://www.overlandbound.com/core-principles/

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:

The thread about carrying 2 spares or not, as well as the recent thread about buying an overlander for 150k, both of which are very interesting discussions, got me thinking about what different people see as overlanding, and more importantly, where the barrier between road trips/overlanding sits.

I did a search and saw there was a thread a few years ago, but instead of reviving that, I think it’s time for a new discussion, and a poll. (This is not meant as a peer reviewed, controlled focus group poll, I tried to cover as many scenarios as possible, pick the one that suits your definition best, but feel free to elaborate on your definitions in a post).

The dictionary/Wikipedia definitions are pretty straight forward, and basically any journey on land taking at least a couple of days, up to months or years, with any vehicle, is overlanding. I want this to be more specific to the self-drive 4x4 market. So let’s ignore bike trips, horse trails and overland truck groups.

what does overlanding as a 4x4 driver mean to you, and when does a Road Trip become an Overland Trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    I like this very simple explanation;
    Overlanding is vehicle dependent travel. That’s it.

https://www.overlandbound.com/core-principles/
    Thanks Christoff , it neatly and succinctly summarises things for all,
    ... hopefully avoiding further protracted pedantics in this thread.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. : Own the road...Any road
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8... The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP... Simply Classic...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ... A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

32. The Following User Says Thank You to BushNomad For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast