• Lasts a week of more, might need 4x4, accomodation mostly self reliant

45 30.00%
  • As above, but also requires navigation/mapreading

16 10.67%
  • As above, requires map reading/navigation, accomodation irrelevant

21 14.00%
  • As above, but must cross a country border

17 11.33%
  • As above, but requires full self reliance. Incudes unmapped terrain/areas with no roads

39 26.00%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: What is overlanding?

I do 4x4 safaris into Africa. In my view, overlanding is to cover at least 3 countries in the duration of the trip. e.g, From RSA, at least cover 3 of the following: Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, Tanzania. If you are brave, the DRC, Ruanda, and Angola. If you just go to Namibia for a week or two, roadtrip is the appropriate definition. Overland is for me to go over a few "lands"- countries.
    Last edited by Slabs1964; 2020/02/18 at 09:22 AM.

So when I travel in my car from Joburg to Durban I'm overlanding?

Think I'll give that definition a skip, thanks.
    Last edited by RobH; 2020/02/18 at 09:22 AM.

A bit OT but relevant as a concept.

My family have been doing the Grand Tour since the 1700s, my offspring did it in 2014 and 2015. The destinations have remained the same although the modes of transport changed as did the time spent. It expanded to include Egypt some time in the 1800s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Tour

It has become so common place in Europe these days that the ''Grand'' has been dropped and now anyone embarking on it is just another tourist.

So, current ''Overlanding'' will have to include in it's current definition:

1. Rarity of occurrence in terms of number of people going there
    2. Rarity of destination in terms of places never or seldom visited
    3. Hard to get to in terms of cost and access

And remember:
    Overlanding is a matter of perspective, to a local, the Overlander is a tourist
    If it doesnt include the above three criteria, it is touring

On the timeline of 4x4 endevours, there are 3 eras: 1. The Vehicle based Expeditions of discovery Era; then 2. Like the finding of the antiquities in Egypt, the (Grand Tourers) Overlander Era (above 3 criteria) and then came, as accessibility increased and costs came down, 3. the Tourists Era

We are, by and large, in the Tourist era and therefore, our 4x4s are touring vehicles and we are tourists.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

I remember an old lady on carte Blanche who left CT to travel to Cairo in a small Mazda 323 or some sorts. Is this also not Overlanding??
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

For me what the Voetspore team does is overlanding.

Is the type of vehicle important to this, eg bike, d/c, SUV etc. Some might even say you need at least a Unimog or equivalent for REAL overlanding - but that might be a bit extreme. (Everything is relative)

Don't even disregard bicycles! https://www.davestravelpages.com/com...cycle-and-4wd/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PieterOos For This Useful Post:

Alistair Cooks’ Series “ Civilisation “ and the follow-up book provided
    quite an insightful perspective of the topic , for me.
    The book included a comment by Alistair Cook ...
    something to the effect of :
    “ I cant, even now, really define or state exactly what Civilisation is ...
    ... but I know it when I see it “

Maybe we just say that of “ Overlanding “ too
    ... and leave it there.
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2020/02/18 at 12:06 PM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. : Own the road...Any road
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8... The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP... Simply Classic...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ... A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BushNomad For This Useful Post:

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so this is probably a repeat of what has been said already.
    I use the term overlanding very specifically: it is completely self-sufficient, vehicle-dependent travel through one or more countries over an extended period of time, with or without a specific destination in mind - but the destination is always of secondary concern.
    In other words, you carry all your own food and supplies (and don't rely on resupplying other than at local markets/dukas/spazas/general dealers); you are equipped to do all your own mechanical maintenance and repairs, with the help of local bush mechanics where possible (and don't rely on equipped workshops, satphone rescue etc); you are equipped to deal with minor medical emergencies; you do not have a fixed schedule and are not booked into X-campsite on Y-day; you are quite happy to take a boskak and couldn't give a damn about whether or not there are shiny ablutions along the way; you are equipped with an insatiable curiosity about the local people, don't fear them, interact with them as much as possible, and try to learn as much of the local language as possible; and you are not on a tick-list of places to see and things to do.
    In short, the journey is the object, the destination/s are incidental.
    A holiday camping trip to a bunch of organised, fenced or unfenced campsites is not overlanding, it is camping. That's not to be derogatory about camping trips, I do those too, but the difference is vast. When you're overlanding, finding a bush camp for the night is part of the journey.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2020/02/19 at 10:58 AM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    If there is a need for carrying two spares then you are overlanding
    Either overlanding, or driving a Landy...

Seriously, I normally have several different spares in my drawer system. Permanently. For what I know are the more temperamental parts...

Oh. And belts. The last thing I want is having to have the power steering pump belt break and not have power steering on this truck. I've learnt that lesson...
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

13. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Interesting to note most voters suggested unmapped terrain with no roads - this strictly implies probably 1% of those thinking they overland are actually doing "it". I think that is probably the idyllic picture of overlanding, but in reality it's pretty much what you make of it. I'd think the closest acronym would be "off the beaten track". It's about, mostly self sufficiently, travelling with a vehicle visiting natural places not normally visited, by means of less traveled back roads or tracks. I don't however think there's one single correct answer to what it is.

So is me going to the Kgalagadi next week a camping trip or an overlanding trip? It probably qualifies as overlanding for some, but in my mind it's just a camping trip. I'm going there on the main tar roads and traversing Sanparks roads. I'm still self sufficient and totally off the grid with solar power. Had I rather went to the Richtersveld, it probably would have been more overlanding. With both I took a tar road there. Both were in a national park. Both I was off the grid. Both I camped. The only difference being that the Richtersveld isn't "main stream" with less man made comforts and more extreme conditions. Again pointing to it's very much what your mindset is and what experience you desire. As long as you travel...
    Last edited by George; 2020/02/19 at 07:38 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Interesting to note most voters suggested unmapped terrain with no roads - this strictly implies probably 1% of those thinking they overland are actually doing "it". I think that is probably the idyllic picture of overlanding, but in reality it's pretty much what you make of it. I'd think the closest acronym would be "off the beaten track". It's about, mostly self sufficiently, travelling with a vehicle visiting natural places not normally visited, by means of less traveled back roads or tracks. I don't however think there's one single correct answer to what it is.

So is me going to the Kgalagadi next week a camping trip or an overlanding trip? It probably qualifies as overlanding for some, but in my mind it's just a camping trip. I'm going there on the main tar roads and traversing Sanparks roads. I'm still self sufficient and totally off the grid with solar power. Had I rather went to the Richtersveld, it probably would have been more overlanding. With both I took a tar road there. Both were in a national park. Both I was off the grid. Both I camped. The only difference being that the Richtersveld isn't "main stream" with less man made comforts and more extreme conditions. Again pointing to it's very much what your mindset is and what experience you desire. As long as you travel...
    I agree with much of what you say.

... but incidentally I find the N14 from say Sannieshof to Uppington inclusive one of the least enjoyable long tarred road stretches, and I try not to stop, even to refuel, in the towns at all.
    Too many reported incidents...
    but beyond Uppington a ‘New World! ‘
    Next trip that way will plot a course off the well beaten track, time permitting.
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2020/02/23 at 01:42 PM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. : Own the road...Any road
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8... The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP... Simply Classic...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ... A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    For me what the Voetspore team does is overlanding.

Is the type of vehicle important to this, eg bike, d/c, SUV etc. Some might even say you need at least a Unimog or equivalent for REAL overlanding - but that might be a bit extreme. (Everything is relative)

Don't even disregard bicycles! https://www.davestravelpages.com/com...cycle-and-4wd/
    Google http://reismetrys.blogspot.com/ THAT is real overlanding in my eyes - even though not compliant with most of the above definitions.
    Call it an "Epic adventure" if you wish.
    Eish! It runs in the family - we just prefer the old Suuz and RTT being a "little" older ....
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Either overlanding, or driving a Landy...

Seriously, I normally have several different spares in my drawer system. Permanently. For what I know are the more temperamental parts...
    Methinks this post got lost in translation... you mean other vehicles (other than Landies) don't get punctures?
    You must have a very big drawer system if you have "several different spares" in there - I hope they all have the same size rim, otherwise you are asking for trouble..........
    Tony Weaver

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    I remember an old lady on carte Blanche who left CT to travel to Cairo in a small Mazda 323 or some sorts. Is this also not Overlanding??
    I remember this although not sure about the vehicle, but it was a small car.
    YES! In my opinion that was overlanding of note.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    I remember this although not sure about the vehicle, but it was a small car.
    YES! In my opinion that was overlanding of note.
    It was a Toyota Tazz, and yes, that was overlanding.
    Tony Weaver

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hermine View Post
    I still dont see a defender or cruiser for me as a practical overlander. Their consumption is too high, and their space too limited, and the 5000km service interval is a pain on a 8000km trip
    My fuel consumption is 8.8Km/l over the 7 years I've owned it.
    The service intervals are 15k km but I prefer to do it every 10k km or annually.
    And for space, well there's no comparison.

No the Landy didn't roll over.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind²)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

This thread is relevant: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...r-here-to-stay

It's fascinating how it seems to be a relatively recent trend in the USA, some of the videos I find quite hilarious: huge V8s, every possible accessory and then all they do is drive on some very mild gravel roads between resorts.

It's obviously a very subjective experience, I prefer to keep it simple and to get away from everything. Also to note that you immediately increase the social gulf between yourself and any of the locals when you rock up sporting equipment and vehicles etc. that cost more than people's homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so this is probably a repeat of what has been said already.
    I use the term overlanding very specifically: it is completely self-sufficient, vehicle-dependent travel through one or more countries over an extended period of time, with or without a specific destination in mind - but the destination is always of secondary concern.
    In other words, you carry all your own food and supplies (and don't rely on resupplying other than at local markets/dukas/spazas/general dealers); you are equipped to do all your own mechanical maintenance and repairs, with the help of local bush mechanics where possible (and don't rely on equipped workshops, satphone rescue etc); you are equipped to deal with minor medical emergencies; you do not have a fixed schedule and are not booked into X-campsite on Y-day; you are quite happy to take a boskak and couldn't give a damn about whether or not there are shiny ablutions along the way; you are equipped with an insatiable curiosity about the local people, don't fear them, interact with them as much as possible, and try to learn as much of the local language as possible; and you are not on a tick-list of places to see and things to do.
    In short, the journey is the object, the destination/s are incidental.
    A holiday camping trip to a bunch of organised, fenced or unfenced campsites is not overlanding, it is camping. That's not to be derogatory about camping trips, I do those too, but the difference is vast. When you're overlanding, finding a bush camp for the night is part of the journey.
    I totally agree this post.
    Overlanding is a way of life, a philosophy. The most important is "the journey". And the heaven gives us a gift: the time stop. You never know where you will be at night. You don't know if the track will be difficult or no. You don't know if the border crossing will be easy or no. Etc... You leave day after day. With time to see, ear, meet, discover, taste, smell. You need a lot of openmind and a little bit of resiliency.
    Of course the most selfsufficient; no tour operator, no guide, no hotel. Bushcamp most of the time. A campsite sometimes for a shower or when bushcamp is impossible...
    I'm travelling since many years around the world with a Toyota HZJ78 camper (selfbuilded). A 4*2 car is sufficient for 70% of the course but only for 10% of the bushcamps.
    I meet a lot of overlanders with bikes, motorbikes, trucks, campers, hitchhiking. One by foot from Alaska to Ushuaia! All stopped time to watch elswhere.
    A good author said there are 4 indispensables virtues for overlanding: like to go to see elsewhere, like to be free, a little bit of no conformism and the acceptation of the risk.

However there is a problem in several countries. It's impossible for me to have a booking for anything. I don't know where I will be ten days later. How to do for campsites in parks (out of school holidays)? And for bushcamp is it posssible to have a permit from a farmer to stay one night on his property? Of course I leave nothing, nothing.
    Only the trace of my wheels.

I'm sorry for my bad english language... Greats thanks to this forum rich of informations. My next trip: ZA, Zim, Moz, Malawi, Tanz, Uganda, Nairobi. And the following year, Tanz, Zambia, Zim, Bots, Nam and ZA.
    Sincerly.

Olivier
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toy 1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	559388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Voyages.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	559389  

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Methinks this post got lost in translation... you mean other vehicles (other than Landies) don't get punctures?
    You must have a very big drawer system if you have "several different spares" in there - I hope they all have the same size rim, otherwise you are asking for trouble..........
    Yes, Tony. I misread the post originally and was thinking of generic vehicle spares. But I presumed people would get the gist of what I meant. Anyways, I'll be able to get some crayons and draw you a picture if you like ?
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

"A very important distinction needs to be made between the Offroader and the Overland traveller; often the two are thought to be the same.
    An Offroader uses his vehicle, usually highly modified and not his daily driver, for recreational purposes and perhaps the odd holiday where he will venture into the realm of the Overlander for a while. His priority is to test the limitations and endurance of both himself and his vehicle either in designated 4×4 areas or on a round trip to an adventure destination where he will rely on the vehicle to take him to remote places over difficult terrain. The Offroader has nerves of steel.
    The Overlander’s objective is adventure travel over vastly changing terrain while testing his own courage and resourcefulness and the vehicle’s endurance and reliability, all while maintaining some degree of comfort, usually over an extended period of time. Not all Overlanders like to drive far from the beaten track and many will never exploit the off-road capabilities of their vehicles. There is nothing wrong with this way of travel. Many places we have been are accessible by a well-driven, unloved sedan. If you are an Offroader who intends to become an Overlander, you will have a fantastic journey if you are willing to adapt your mindset by carefully considering your long-term travel needs." - Graeme Bell

https://www.sa4x4.co.za/the-differen...ver+are+you%3F
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

In 1995 we bumped into two guys in the Jeffereys Bay Caravan Park. They were from London on their way to Cape Town, and came all the way through Africa on their mountain bikes. When we asked them how long they have been on the road they said they do not want to know. They were obviously sponsored or very rich kids, because somewhere in Africa their bikes were stolen one night. New equipment was then flown in to them by chopper.

I guess with an adventure like that losing track of time is to your advantage - if you have that sort of time.

For the mentally and physically strong that must be an experience of a lifetime.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast