• Lasts a week of more, might need 4x4, accomodation mostly self reliant

45 30.00%
  • As above, but also requires navigation/mapreading

16 10.67%
  • As above, requires map reading/navigation, accomodation irrelevant

21 14.00%
  • As above, but must cross a country border

17 11.33%
  • As above, but requires full self reliance. Incudes unmapped terrain/areas with no roads

39 26.00%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: What is overlanding?

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    A roadtrip of which the schedule and next destination are mere suggestions, to which you may or may not stick, voluntarily or - usually - otherwise.
    this is my favorite answer so far. Simple and to the point. And yes, the schedule usually changes because of ďotherwiseĒ

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Overlanding is not equipment based or defined by what equipment you do or dont have. Its about a mind state. The person following the same path for the same reason beit in a 2cv or on foot is welcome at my camp fire as an equal.
    Very good point. Overlandig has become such a fashionable expression, it sounds a lot cooler to go overlanding over the December holidays than going on a road trip.
    Money can buy fancy overlanding accessories for your vehicle, making it instantly an overlander, according to what the fitment centres want to make us believe.
    But buying a pair of running shoes doesn't make you an athlete either. It's about the mindset, some athletes run barefoot.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post

Itís what the guys from 4x4 Action do, or even the old top gear specials, and grand tour specials (although their vehicle choices sometimes a bit off).

I'm totally with those that say that overlanding is a state of mind.

You can walk near your house for half hour and you are in an overlanding state of mind, you see things and nature...the walking and the moving over the land does something good to your mind.

On the other hand, the other extreme, you can be in remotest wildest Africa/Asia pushing a super advanced 4x4 through its paces, but your mind is not in the right place.

Then you are just another oke driving a car.

PS:

Don't be fooled by the Top Gear stunts, grand tour etc.

Entarteining as they are (I enjoy watching them too), they are also as fake as can be, as I found out from people that were involved in the preparation and management of these 'adventures'.

They are all about luxury hotels, support vehicles, helicopters, travelling chefs, mechanical teams etc. They are very very similar to a movie set, actually.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    I'm totally with those that say that overlanding is a state of mind.

You can walk near your house for half hour and you are in an overlanding state of mind, you see things and nature...the walking and the moving over the land does something good to your mind.

On the other hand, the other extreme, you can be in remotest wildest Africa/Asia pushing a super advanced 4x4 through its paces, but your mind is not in the right place.

Then you are just another oke driving a car.

PS:

Don't be fooled by the Top Gear stunts, grand tour etc.

Entarteining as they are (I enjoy watching them too), they are also as fake as can be, as I found out from people that were involved in the preparation and management of these 'adventures'.

They are all about luxury hotels, support vehicles, helicopters, travelling chefs, mechanical teams etc. They are very very similar to a movie set, actually.

yep, and Bear Grylls is a pussy and fake as hell too right?

I don’t think any sane individual doesn’t realise that top gear/grand tour is a TV show, made to be entertaining. But I also think your friends may fib a little...... I have actually had first hand experience with the production of grand tour specials, and they definately aren’t carted off to five star hotels at night...... it’s another discussion all together though.

walking around your house and enjoying nature would mean you are hiking, definately not overlanding. Hiking is to me also a state of mind thing, just as much as overlanding is.... but they are not the same thing.... especially in the light of 4x4 overlanding as discussed on this platform.
    Last edited by RPiet; 2020/02/15 at 03:19 PM.

Perhaps slightly off topic, however well worth a watch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/180_De...of_the_Useless

(You need netflix for 180 degrees south)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sheltering_Desert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuGRhqKruKI

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Craigin For This Useful Post:

Unfortunately, these days, the term overlanding is a marketing term used by suppliers and sponsored youtubers to sell you expensive ####, to be bolted to your bakkie, that you don't need .... For the most part I refuse to use the term but if pressed, I would say an overlander should be self-sufficient for several days at least, following an adventurous route, and is able to to overcome setbacks with skill and resourcefulness. Cruising in Botswana between pre-booked, pre-paid campsites with warm showers and dust bins is not overlanding .... sorry.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vroommm For This Useful Post:

Guys forget about about ‘ whether Overlanding must/should include 4*4s or not ‘ etc... could be lengthy debate, for some, for ages etc but surely we have have better roads to travel !
    ... lets just say whats Overlanding mean to us guys that are into Overlanding with our 4*4s ... KISS !
    David Livingstone, Marco Polo & Travelling Yogis, & aloof transcendentals, Goofballs etc possibly may also technically be/have been Overlanders etc but not really what we about ...
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2020/02/15 at 09:52 PM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. : Own the road...Any road
    Ď1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8... The Greatest Rover.
    Ď1975 Series3 88 PUP... Simply Classic...
    Ď2017 Metalian Mini ... A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

Quote Originally Posted by BushNomad View Post

... Think of Ďus 4*4 overlandersí as a real subset of some theoretical Universal Set of ďAll Overlanders ď ... if you must !
    That is more to the point. I have noted that there is a definate sub-set, the "old sweats" who hanker for the old days when overlanding was an exclusive club and hate to think that those hallowed grounds and rituals are now open to the great unwashed.

Perish the thought that someone not of the ancien regime should venture into these sacred areas in anything other than a 4x4.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Vroommm View Post
    Unfortunately, these days, the term overlanding is a marketing term used by suppliers and sponsored youtubers to sell you expensive ####, to be bolted to your bakkie, that you don't need .... For the most part I refuse to use the term but if pressed, I would say an overlander should be self-sufficient for several days at least, following an adventurous route, and is able to to overcome setbacks with skill and resourcefulness. Cruising in Botswana between pre-booked, pre-paid campsites with warm showers and dust bins is not overlanding .... sorry.
    This is avery good point. Is "Overlanding nothing more than a construct? Give something a name and it exists. Personally I wasnt aware of a thing called overlanding until I joined this forum. I thought it was merely an extension of touring but in more difficult terrain.

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    That is more to the point. I have noted that there is a definate sub-set, the "old sweats" who hanker for the old days when overlanding was an exclusive club and hate to think that those hallowed grounds and rituals are now open to the great unwashed.

Perish the thought that someone not of the ancien regime should venture into these sacred areas in anything other than a 4x4.
    ... not my experience but respect your concern.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. : Own the road...Any road
    Ď1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8... The Greatest Rover.
    Ď1975 Series3 88 PUP... Simply Classic...
    Ď2017 Metalian Mini ... A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

Quote Originally Posted by BushNomad View Post
    ... not my experience but respect your concern.
    ... and I your views. I merely state my perceptions.

Honestly i've never understood the reason for questions like this

When purchasing a car you need to know exactly what you want to do with her. 4x4 competitions or overlanding trips. For 4x4 competitions articulation etc is of high concern. For overlanding space, reliabillity and running cost are bigger concerns

But what is overlanding? Who cares? Why do we need a distinction? Is it just to be able to wear the badge?

I've done trips where we have done complete wild camping for weeks, no real 4x4 required except for crossing the kwhai river. And i've done trips where we lived in chalets (no electricity) but drove valley passes where you dont see people for days and low range required + serious driving skills

So were they both overlanding trips? Neither? Honestly who cares. I got to travel and explore. And to me that is what overlanding is. To travel over land with the goal to explore

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hermine For This Useful Post:

I see overlanding as a bunch of young European travellers getting on a crowded truck and driving from Cape town to Tanzania.
    That is where I first heard the term...

It's almost like a barbecue. Which we call a braai.

Truck trips like that I would call a truck tour...

As Hermine said, why even try to make a distinction?

You go to Namibia, just call it a Namibia trip... I don't particularly call my trips overlanding.

Bottom line, where does the word "overlanding" come from? Australia and meant to describe the long distance herding of livestock.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Quote Originally Posted by Pietsweis View Post
    I see overlanding as a bunch of young European travellers getting on a crowded truck and driving from Cape town to Tanzania.
    That is where I first heard the term...

It's almost like a barbecue. Which we call a braai.

Truck trips like that I would call a truck tour...

As Hermine said, why even try to make a distinction?

You go to Namibia, just call it a Namibia trip... I don't particularly call my trips overlanding.

Bottom line, where does the word "overlanding" come from? Australia and meant to describe the long distance herding of livestock.
    I specifically asked for adefination within the context of 4x4 overlanding as is discussed on this forum. I also originally knew those trucks to be overland trucks.

I also agree that we should just go out and enjoy what we do.... regardless of the definitions.....

but then we get threads where people suggest that carrying 2 spares is overkill for overlanding, or that a defender or land cruiser 76 arenít really suited to overlanding...... and then I begin to wonder what peopleís definition of overlanding is.

this is meant to be a fun, open ended discussion to get an idea of peopleís opinions/views. Not set a new ditionary definition for the term.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermine View Post
    Honestly i've never understood the reason for questions like this

When purchasing a car you need to know exactly what you want to do with her. 4x4 competitions or overlanding trips. For 4x4 competitions articulation etc is of high concern. For overlanding space, reliabillity and running cost are bigger concerns

But what is overlanding? Who cares? Why do we need a distinction? Is it just to be able to wear the badge?

I've done trips where we have done complete wild camping for weeks, no real 4x4 required except for crossing the kwhai river. And i've done trips where we lived in chalets (no electricity) but drove valley passes where you dont see people for days and low range required + serious driving skills

So were they both overlanding trips? Neither? Honestly who cares. I got to travel and explore. And to me that is what overlanding is. To travel over land with the goal to explore

I so want to agree with you.... but oddly it was a statement you made that prompted me to start this thread. Please donít take it as personal or an attack, itís all in the spirit of understanding peopleís views.

I agree that outright off-road prowess is more important on the trails and in 4x4 contests than for overlanding. I also agree that space and practicality are very important to overlanding. Running costs should also be considered.

............ but, I donít think 4x4 ability is any less important overlanding than it is on the trails. I do think overlanding should involve a high probability of serious off road terrain where you canít always avoid the obstacle, and then articulation and other ď4x4Ē items become important, especially since you need to tackle this with a fully laden car. In a 4x4 completions you carry no weight.

thatís why I donít see the Jeep Wrangler as a good overlander, even though itís an excellent 4x4.

The cruiser and defender however, I feel are excellent overlanders, as well as 4x4 vehicles. But in the other thread you dismissed them due to a lack of space, and suggested they are more suited to 4x4 tracks.

I still think there needs to be a differentian between exploring on known roads, where mostly 4x4 is just for peace of mind, and Overlanding.

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    I specifically asked for adefination within the context of 4x4 overlanding as is discussed on this forum. I also originally knew those trucks to be overland trucks.

I also agree that we should just go out and enjoy what we do.... regardless of the definitions.....

but then we get threads where people suggest that carrying 2 spares is overkill for overlanding, or that a defender or land cruiser 76 arenít really suited to overlanding...... and then I begin to wonder what peopleís definition of overlanding is.

this is meant to be a fun, open ended discussion to get an idea of peopleís opinions/views. Not set a new ditionary definition for the term.
    I understand what you are saying but I just think that overlanding is a term adopted from abroad and it probably is a term for any extended trip which includes camping, self sustenance to an extent and inclined to be more off the beaten track.
    And now we use it...

I suppose there could be many different interpretations of this of this.

One man's "roughing it" could mean another man's "luxury rondavel" in Skukuza...

I would say that if one packs a vehicle with some offroad ability with what he or she considers the bare necessities and go on a trip which includes a few days and however longer over terrain which is not limited to paved roads then I guess it could be considered overlanding?

Once again I think that opinions may differ on this but I have an idea of what people mean when they talk about "overlanding" in the broader spectrum.

One could say "I am having a braai" but then you cook meat on gas, which to me is a barbecue...🤣
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pietsweis For This Useful Post:

IMHO:

The practical implications of "Overlanding" in the "off-road" sense:

Invasion of private, tribal or state land, or years of planning and organizing permissions to drive there, only to be cornered by some uninformed soul with a shotgun pointing at your radiator. I experienced this in the old Rhodesia and here in SA.

Uncharted tracks or paths or rivers or krantzes. I experienced this.

Problems caused by driver, vehicle or nature, even if there are three cars in convoy. We left the road we built and travelled through the bush in a 1974 Landie to another road to the west, in the old Rhodesia. On another occasion my late dad once drove around a corner on a new dirt road and half-missed a bridge across a river. We landed on the opposite bank, so did the car following us. No telephone, no radio, nothing, but a local farm labourer with a bicycle. This I also experienced.

Therefore I deem Overlanding as travelling on the surface of mother earth as opposed to Flight and Submarining.

We did it for work and didn't call it a name. Some of the term came to the fore, though, in travelling on or next to dirt roads for anything upwards of 50km and using 4X4 mode from time to time.

On Southern Africa's dirt roads these days you do not have to go into the veld to 'rough it', according to my brother in law, who regularly drives between Rawsonville and Chandame in the north of Mozambique.

According to him, if he doesn't fly, he 'overlands', whether on tar, dirt or veld.

Each to his or her own, then, nť
    Skihili

2019 Ford Ranger 2.2 DC 4x4 Auto
    Old school. I hate QL. . .

I think the term "overlanding" is almost impossible to really define.

A while back, an old Tannie took a trip with her old Toyota Conquest, I think to Kenya or something, or even further?? She was "ovelanding" I would say, even if she did have family backup etc etc.

Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman on their GS's around the world.....with LOTS of backup - were they "overlanding"?? I'd also say so yes.

Helge Pederson who travelled 375000km on a 10 year trip on his R 80 GS - yes, he was overlanding.

If my wife and I are packing the Trol and go on a 10 day trip down the West Coast, camping/chaleting - are we overlanding?? Nah, I'd like to think of it as a road trip.

People who know me well will know that I have toured SA and surrounding countries quite frequently in my younger days on a GS 100......alone, completely self sufficient, I didn't even plan a trip, I just had the end destination in my head, riding for 20/30 days on end. Overlanding?? Guess so, yes - although I have never even thought about it like that. It was just a trip.

Vehicle of choice also doesn't matter here - it can be a Tazz, a Unimog, a 200VX, motor cycle, scooter (many do it on scooters and small bikes), heck even a boat/canoe, I guess?
    1998 Nissan Patrol 4,5 GRX........................."Olive"
    1997 Land Cruiser HZJ 75..........................."Jack"
    2008 Mercedes Benz CL 500........................"Bullet"
    2006 Mercedes Benz C 180K........................"Sussie"[/COLOR]

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Am actually enjoying the different views of overlanding being seen here, and of course each to his own. Having grown up travelling into unknown places and searching for weird and wonderful things both because of my fathers job and later my own trade (my dad was a wildlife photographer, did work for Nat Geo etc, I myself have been in the tourism sector for about 20yrs now) my view on overlanding is obviously the one where you venture into the wilderness being self-reliant for a week or two (I actually use 99.9% of the crap bolted to my car) and hope you don't see anybody else and have no cell signal.

This of course is not, and should not have to be everybody's idea of overlanding. Times are changing and I suppose we change with them. I think the most important thing is that you feel comfortable and enjoy your own type of overlanding.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast