Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Question Re: Namaqua 4x4 Eco Trail

Out of interest why can this trail only be done East to West?

It's probably to do with two way congestion on long narrow stretches, but Baviaan's doesn't have the same restriction for example (which I did do East to West).

I was quite keen to do it last year on my way from Port Nolloth to Onseepkans but the book I had with me said it could only be done East to West.

Also, I didn't have the permit. The book, unhelpfully didn't say where to get one, and I asked SAPS both ends (who patrol the route occasionally apparently) didn't have a clue what I was talking about.
    1995 Defender 110 300tdi (nick-named Alfie)
    1978 Mercedes Benz 450SL
    2000 Volvo V40 T4 (on the market - What offers?)

Default Re: Namaqua 4x4 Eco Trail

Subscribed
    It is what it is!!

Markus and Zelda van den Berg
    FJ Cruiser Fangirl/boy

Quote Originally Posted by CraigWatt View Post
    Out of interest why can this trail only be done East to West?

It's probably to do with two way congestion on long narrow stretches, but Baviaan's doesn't have the same restriction for example (which I did do East to West).

I was quite keen to do it last year on my way from Port Nolloth to Onseepkans but the book I had with me said it could only be done East to West.

Also, I didn't have the permit. The book, unhelpfully didn't say where to get one, and I asked SAPS both ends (who patrol the route occasionally apparently) didn't have a clue what I was talking about.
    Trail can be done in both directions, confirmed

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mufie For This Useful Post:

We're planning to do the Pella-Vioolsdrift route in reverse (not really in reverse gear!) and I need to plan regarding extra diesel. What is the total distance, and are there any fuel stations between Vioolsdrift and Pofadder?
    A legend in his own lunchtime!

Quote Originally Posted by GerrieB View Post
    We're planning to do the Pella-Vioolsdrift route in reverse (not really in reverse gear!) and I need to plan regarding extra diesel. What is the total distance, and are there any fuel stations between Vioolsdrift and Pofadder?
    The only fuel is at Steinkopf (about 75km down and 75km back) and maybe at Klein Pella if they have fuel.

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

[QUOTE=mufie;4880414]The only fuel is at Steinkopf (about 75km down and 75km back) and maybe at Klein Pella if they have fuel.[/QUOTE

But fuel at Vioolsdrift? Total distance to Pofadder? Google and T4A don't really help much.
    Last edited by GerrieB; 2022/05/13 at 05:20 PM.
    A legend in his own lunchtime!

[QUOTE=GerrieB;4880430]
    Quote Originally Posted by mufie View Post
    The only fuel is at Steinkopf (about 75km down and 75km back) and maybe at Klein Pella if they have fuel.[/QUOTE

But fuel at Vioolsdrift? Total distance to Pofadder? Google and T4A don't really help much.
    There is no fuel at Vioolsdrift, only a small shop. We went across the border into Namibia for a few kmís and got our fuel there. Border officials assisted by not charging the road tax. Was still a schlep as you had to go through both border posts in and again out. Unsure of your other questions.
    Rudi Pretorius
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE
    Overlander

Hi ,

I did the trail east to west end july 2021, this was around trip from Cape Town to Augrabies , filled up Poffadder then hit trail along Orange river , Viooldrift top up supplies then into Richterveld , down to Port Noloth and along the coast back to Cape Town.
    The route can be done in reverse depends on preference.
    Poffadder to Viooldrift about 300km depending on site seeing/ driving around.
    Viooldrift into Richterveld could see another 300/400km , also dependent on activities.
    Fuel on the eco trail is nil so fill ups would be either Poffadder starting east or Steinfopf on the west.
    I had one jerry can filled for emergency which was not needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210726_145505.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	356.9 KB 
ID:	656437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210726_134559.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	390.3 KB 
ID:	656438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210726_153257.jpg 
Size:	486.0 KB 
ID:	656439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210727_170522.jpg 
Size:	621.4 KB 
ID:	656440  
    2011 fortuner 4.0 V6
    2000 4.7 V8 ( Yebo Yes) sold
    2004 crv ( swambo's taxi) sold
    2000 3.1 = gone

I also did the route East/West a couple of years ago. The route is theoretically 250 kms or thereabouts. I got horribly lost and ended up doing about 450 kms . There are no fuel stops on the route between Pella and Vioolsdrift.
    You can have as much satellite navigational equipment as you like but there's still a good chance of getting lost - new tracks are created all the time. So have fuel for 600 kms including a lot of LR driving.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3