Solar Upgrade to Miskruier

Default Solar Upgrade to Miskruier

Hi guys tried searching on the threads and struggled to find info.
    I am a real novice to the whole solar thing but want to do a half decent upgrade to my miskruier setup.

Just bought a 100w goal zero briefcase fold out panel and what to upgrade the no name brand solar controller unit in the trailer.

I believe they come standard with a 140w panel on the roof. I stand to be corrected.

There is an existing victron Charger in the trailer I believe it is a ac charger that I turn on when plugged into power.

Im just not sure what mppt to buy. Seem to see that the victron smart 75 seems a good option but not sure if it’s big enough for my two panels now or I can buy a ctex D250sa. Not sure if that would be a better bet then when driving. Can plug the car in as well with the Brad Harrison and have it charging from both locations.

also wanted to understand how I must wire in the portable panel do I plug it into the Brad Harrison on the nose of the trailer or shall I put it through the back door and go directly to the mppt.

if you were me what would you buy? Also would like to upgrade the national Luna voltage monitor with the victron one. Seems pretty cool.

Default Re: Solar Upgrade to Miskruier

We have a very similar set-up. The 140W panels run through the solar controller in the BL to the batteries. The BH plug on the A-frame does not run through a controller as it is usually used to charge the battery directly from the vehicle.

I installed an HCDP controller on this line, close to the battery. This controller can do DC-DC charging (when charging from the vehicle) or solar charging when I plug the loose solar panel in at the BH plug.

The alternative is to get a controller that you use between the solar panel and the BH plug. The main problem is loss of efficiency due to voltage drop from there to the battery but it shouldn't be too bad.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Quote Originally Posted by dreadable View Post
    Hi guys tried searching on the threads and struggled to find info.
    I am a real novice to the whole solar thing but want to do a half decent upgrade to my miskruier setup.

Just bought a 100w goal zero briefcase fold out panel and what to upgrade the no name brand solar controller unit in the trailer.

I believe they come standard with a 140w panel on the roof. I stand to be corrected.

There is an existing victron Charger in the trailer I believe it is a ac charger that I turn on when plugged into power.

I'm just not sure what mppt to buy. Seem to see that the victron smart 75 seems a good option but not sure if it’s big enough for my two panels now or I can buy a ctex D250sa. Not sure if that would be a better bet then when driving. Can plug the car in as well with the Brad Harrison and have it charging from both locations.

also wanted to understand how I must wire in the portable panel do I plug it into the Brad Harrison on the nose of the trailer or shall I put it through the back door and go directly to the mppt.

if you were me what would you buy? Also would like to upgrade the national Luna voltage monitor with the victron one. Seems pretty cool.
    Hi

Always Lots of Talk on BL Solar.. In the BL you should have the VC Charger and a 75/100 Solar controller. If you going to add a second panel the you need a second Controller. I use the BH plug in the front of the BL when Parked in Shade. Also when travelling I don't use the BH from the Car, I just leave the Solar on and it works great. I did upgrade all my units that is the Battery Monitor , the Charger and the Solar controller MPPT to the Smart units.

Dave
    Dave

BL1942 - The Bug

Hi Dave

thanks for the reply. I dont have a victron controller its a no name brand name unit.
    so what you saying is I need to buy 2 75/15 mppts. Is there no way to just have one bigger on and then I can use it for either or or both

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    We have a very similar set-up. The 140W panels run through the solar controller in the BL to the batteries. The BH plug on the A-frame does not run through a controller as it is usually used to charge the battery directly from the vehicle.

I installed an HCDP controller on this line, close to the battery. This controller can do DC-DC charging (when charging from the vehicle) or solar charging when I plug the loose solar panel in at the BH plug.

The alternative is to get a controller that you use between the solar panel and the BH plug. The main problem is loss of efficiency due to voltage drop from there to the battery but it shouldn't be too bad.
    this sounds good however does that mean that you turn off the controller in the caravan when you charging with the fold out panel?

I will also suggest you get two MPPTs. I've been on two trips where my one DC-DC packs up and I had to rely on the "spare" to get me through the trip. Can vouch for the Victron units...that spare is now permanently installed
    Jannie
    2007 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2017 Fortuner GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier

Hi Dave

so what you saying is I need to buy 2 75/15 mppts. Is there no way to just have one bigger on and then I can use it for either or or both
    You can probably go with one big controller but two will be more efficient if one of panels are in the shade (the one on the roof for example).
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS

this sounds good however does that mean that you turn off the controller in the caravan when you charging with the fold out panel?
    No need to. Each controller can charge independently. When camping in shade, the panels on the roof will simply deliver less Watts.

On the HCDP I have to toggle a switch between solar and 12V DC but I don't really do that as I never charge from the vehicle.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    You can probably go with one big controller but two will be more efficient if one of panels are in the shade (the one on the roof for example).
    I Agree best to have one controller MPPT per Solar Panel (one packs up you have a back up)

Dave
    Dave

BL1942 - The Bug

Quote Originally Posted by ohalloran View Post
    I Agree best to have one controller MPPT per Solar Panel (one packs up you have a back up)

Dave
    Thanks guys so 2x victron 75 smarts it is. Will connect one to the BH ok the nose and replace the one already in the trailer. Get a decent 10mt lead with a BH male on the end and can have them both working. Going to khwai next weekend. Will update ok performance.

Hi dreadable

The Victron 75 can deliver up to 15 amps and 200w of solar power almost gets you to 15 amps. Based on this, one Victron 75 will not be sufficient for your two panels (140 + 100). Using two controllers will allow you ample allowance and more than enough power with the added benefit of fail over.

I have 1 Victron 100/20 which can produce up to 20 amps and a HCDP 12amp which can serve as a fail over. As you can see in the picture, the Victron is pretty good at squeezing max power out of the panels, I had 2x100w panels plugged in here.Name:  Screenshot_20200209-132010.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  16.0 KB

Hi so bought two Victron MPPTs today and want to get wiring.

Stupid Question - With the one that will mount inside under the bed near the batteries which is connected to the Anderson on the A Frame. Do i need to wire in the load side as there will be no cables there to wire the load. Can i just treat this one as a charger. Then wire the one on inside the cupboard near the DB with the load?

Hi so bought two Victron MPPTs today and want to get wiring.

Stupid Question - With the one that will mount inside under the bed near the batteries which is connected to the Anderson on the A Frame. Do i need to wire in the load side as there will be no cables there to wire the load. Can i just treat this one as a charger. Then wire the one on inside the cupboard near the DB with the load?
    Depends on what your load will be. The inrush current of some fridges are too high, then the load output switches off to protect itself. The load output is handy to use because you have a history of power usage, and you can program it to switch off when the battery reach a defined voltage.
    In short, you dont have to use it, but you can if your equipment has a low inrush current.

Quote Originally Posted by rudyb View Post
    Hi dreadable

The Victron 75 can deliver up to 15 amps and 200w of solar power almost gets you to 15 amps. Based on this, one Victron 75 will not be sufficient for your two panels (140 + 100). Using two controllers will allow you ample allowance and more than enough power with the added benefit of fail over.

I have 1 Victron 100/20 which can produce up to 20 amps and a HCDP 12amp which can serve as a fail over. As you can see in the picture, the Victron is pretty good at squeezing max power out of the panels, I had 2x100w panels plugged in here.Name:  Screenshot_20200209-132010.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  16.0 KB
    Yep I used to have 1 x Victron 75 /15 MPPT controller for my 2 x 100W panels.
    Now I have upgraded to 1 x 100/30a Victron for my 3 x120W panels connected in parallel and fixed mounted to my fliptop roof.

No need for multiple MPPT controllers if 1 can handle all input from the panels
    UZJ 42 LX: Olive (Sold)
    HDJ 75 RV Troopy

Quote Originally Posted by TheoM View Post
    Yep I used to have 1 x Victron 75 /15 MPPT controller for my 2 x 100W panels.
    Now I have upgraded to 1 x 100/30a Victron for my 3 x120W panels connected in parallel and fixed mounted to my fliptop roof.

No need for multiple MPPT controllers if 1 can handle all input from the panels

Got you i think the nice thing with an extra is if something goes wrong with one you have a backup.