Bushwakka Sundowner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bushwakka Sundowner

I don't see any decent Sundowner or even Bhoma threads for potential buyers so lets start one.

My shortlist :

1 - Bushwakka Sundowner (SDR)
    2 - BushLapa Boskriek / Miskruier
    3 - Afrispoor Serval

At this stage my thinking is:

Why SDR and not Bhoma? Family of 4, 2 son's. I don't want to share a caravan so the RV tent will do for them. On Botswana trips we will get a roof rack. That leaves us with a lighter (and cheaper) trailer option. I prefer the side kitchen of the SDR. I think a lot will argue along the same line and that is why Jasper and the team designed the SDR - me think.

1. Price wise they all are in the same bracket. R 220 - R 240

2. BW is a bit more luxurious than BL, I like the clean and neat look of the BL and Afrispoor. I must say both BW's have a very spacious feeling inside. It's like sitting in a LR Discovery with big windows. Swambo prefer BW. Understandably...

3. All 3 offers foxwing type tents but BW have integrated reflector canvas and basically integrated poles which is a plus. In fact I would probably order 2 wings on the SDR - 360 degrees shade for afternoons. The Bhoma is a killer with the 360 awning...

4. Although the SDR and even the Bhoma is new, I get the feeling that Bushwakka is a trusted and respected brand. From what I have picked up on FB is that they are without any nonsense when it comes to warranty and repairs.

5. Mainly down in WCape but 1 agent up here that service as well.

6. Excellent suspension. I am honestly a bit worried about BL leafs BUT could not pickup any issues

7. Space - space space. I will need an special app to remember where I have put everything. Every little cube is utilised.

8. Lots of Aluminium and the rest is SS. A must on my list. The paint is stonechip and really has a quality feel to it.

The negatives - I prefer the look of the other 2. The round nose of the SDR is weird, but apparently a huge aerodynamic improvement.
    New model - so must still proof the test of time and resell value.

Any comments, especially existing Sundowner and Bhoma owners please. Maybe a few comments on mods as well.

Cheers
    Last edited by 69Klipkop; 2015/11/05 at 07:46 AM.

Smile

Ja daar is so baie puik waens ek hou baie van Bush Lapa produkte sterkte met jou besluit

Default The Bushwakka Sundowner - Bushwakking through SA, Namibia & Botswana

My wife and I used a Bushwakka Sundowner on our 32 day trip through South Africa, Namibia and Botswana so here is our two cents worth...

It was our first time pulling a trailer and we were so impressed with every aspect of the Sundowner. If you are doing an overland trip or even just going away for the weekend, there is no better way to camp! I just can't imagine going back to camping in a tent ever again!

Here are a few points that really stood out for us:

Incredibly quick to setup: You can honestly have it setup and enjoying a cold beverage within 15 min of arriving at a campsite.

Loads of packing space: All you your clothes and kit pack neatly into the various cupboards and hatches. This is means that there is virtually no unpacking or heavy lifting when you arrive in camp. All you need to do is lift the roof, fold out the bed compartment, fold out the kitchen and fold out the shade awning over the kitchen. Simple as that!

Convenient: Unlike the root top tents, you don't have to pack it up if you want to go for a game drive. You simply have to lock the door and close the kitchen hatch and you are ready to go.

Kitchen: The fridge, gas hob and hot & cold water etc are well placed and close to hand which enables you to cook as if you were at home.

Solar & electrics: A detachable solar panel on the roof of the trailer keeps the battery charged and can be removed and placed in the sun if you are parked in the shade. The 90L fridge freezer runs off the battery system. There are also a number conveniently situated LED lights. When you are in campsites with electricity, there is also the option to plug the trailer into the mains power.

Fridge: We stocked the freezer section of 90L fridge/freezer up with Woolworths meat that ended up lasting us our entire 32 day trip! All we needed to buy also the way was fresh fruit & veg.

Water tank: There is a built in 130L water tank that supplies the hot/cold water for the basin and shower. Both work amazingly well. Really enjoyed cooling off under the showe in the midday heat

Tough as nails: All the Bushwakka trailers are built to very high specs so they are able to handle the roughest of terrain. On out trip we went on some seriously bad road and deep sand in Bwabata, Mamilli, Chobe (Savuti) and Moremi and not once did the trailer give us any issues.

Check out the timelapse of us setting it up: https://youtu.be/NbYXreCmIKQ

Thanks John - I was split between the Afrispoor Cheetah and the Bushwakka Sundowner and decided on the Bushwakka. I must say your timelapse made me realised that it is such a nice quick to setup trailer.. and was probably the final push I needed . We have requested a few mods (mono colour, different pockets inside and 2 x Bush fans as per the Bhoma) We are really looking forward...

Main decision points for us:

- Build quality - its honestly in the BL and Afrispoor category.
    - Stainless and Aluminium a must for us.
    - We only need 2 beds - kids will be on their rooftop tent
    - Weight. 750kgs....
    - Only trailer with a full size door.
    - Total "open space" feel inside
    - Best Bush wing / fan of all

Congrats with your choice. The Sundowner was not yet thought of when I ordered my Bush Lapa. I know that they make a very good product as do BL. I have read and heard of not too good feedbacks about Afrispoor.

I'll point out some positive and negative points :

BL and Sundowner build quality are very good and both the vans are made out of aluminium and stainless as well. The looks of the BL are IMO, much nicer, but different strokes for different folks. There is also until now, and has been for the past three years a waiting list of three months for a BL, so there has to be a very good reason for this.
    Since ordering mine about a year and a half ago, more than 200 units have been built. That tells something very positive about a product.
    The bushwing of the BL is the best of all, no question. It folds out to 270* immediately and not like the Sundowner which can only fold out to 180*, I'm talking about 1 piece.
    I will take Mr. White on any day as far as quick setup is concerned. I will man alone set my van up long before he and his wife together are even near finished.
    The BL also has a full size door. The Sundowner not so, if you elect to go for the 270* awning. Otherwise the Sundowner's awning is only 180*. How has Sundowners awning stood up to RAIN ? It's all very well in the sun, but is it rain proof ??
    The Sundowner is more spacious inside for sure which is very convenient and gives a much better open feel, but I feel that we're more outside than inside.
    The BL, with exception of the Vlooi, has much better ventilation for those hot summer months. It has front, sides, back and on top, where Sundowner does not have any ventilation from the front.
    BL also weighs around 750kg's and all up weight of 1500kg's. It has two drawers in front of the Fridge compartment, for storing pots and pans and other big things, which is very convenient.
    Fold out support jacks at the back of Sundowner is much better and more convenient than BL.
    Mine also has the optional extra geyser which is out of the way in the front compartment, and for the time it takes to setup the washing up platform, is the same. I watched the video from Mr. White, pity is was so fast forward, does not give you the true time taken. Bushwakka's video gives you a much better time frame of how long it will take.
    Both products have lots of extras, which will make each individual's life easier. There are lots of Mods on the BL, also making life easier, but only because BL has more units than Bushwakka ( Sundowner )
    Both products are superb in all qualities, so now it comes down to personal choice. Whichever unit is chosen, I'm pretty sure you won't be unhappy, as these two products are right up there on the very top scale of off-road caravans.
    LR Discovery 4 TD V6 SE
    Bush-Lapa Boskriek B 333
    " Kriekie "

Default Re: Bushwakka Sundowner

Finally picked up the Bushwakka Sundowner last week. Did 200km in Anysberge with LOTS's of dust, 3 days of soft and heavy rain, knots and knots of wind and over 2000km of tar.

I just loved the trailer. Honestly. I am not going to compare anymore. Every person love the trailer her / she bought. We did a lot of material and colour changes and the whole trailer is basically a monotone khaki. Just love it.

Highlights
    - Kids not sleeping inside / Say no more...
    - Setup is just amazing. We fitted 2 bushwings so we have 320 deg shade
    - Lots and lots and lots of pockets spaces inside
    - We had one issue with the gas struts on the roof and Jasper and the team fixed it on a Sunday even when the company was at the Getaway show. That is service
    - A bit heavy on the fuel (Discovery 4 up from 10l/100km to about 15) Wind, and back up to Gauteng.

Mods coming up
    Bring down wind resistance - maybe a hinge on the 2 wings
    Solarpanels (in a loose carry-bag)
    Extra foldout kitchen cupboard

That's it - cannot wait for the next camp!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7329.jpg 
Views:	830 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	397671   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7316.jpg 
Views:	1033 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	397672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7313.jpg 
Views:	702 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	397673   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7314.jpg 
Views:	971 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	397674   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7312.jpg 
Views:	1134 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	397675  

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 69Klipkop For This Useful Post:

Hi 69Klipkop,

Did you fit the extra fold out kitchen cupboard? If so I would be keen to see some pictures, we have a Sundowner on order.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

Malcolm - what we did in the kitchen was the following:

Second pull out drawers just under the existing one. Double the cutlery space
    All carpets changed with black rubber. Easier to clean

I am going to fit the extra cupboard on top of the fridge drawer as well. It's standard on all new S'downers

No photos but ask Jasper / Jaco about our Sundowner.

Regards

Andre

After attending a couple of shows and looking around at the various options, we eventually decided to change from our Mini-Metalian, after 5 happy years, to a Bushwakka Sundowner. Jasper and Jaco went out of their way to make some changes to suit us. (We had a Bushwakka tent on our Metalian and had always been happy with their service).

The main changes are in the “kitchen area” where our Sundowner opens upwards, with a narrower work-shelf and the stove has been moved onto the end of the fridge slide. (Meyrene found the original stove position too high)

There is only a single washbasin so that the adjacent side can be left in place to give shelter from the wind when required.

We also have a modification to the plumbing so we can feed water from a jerry can through the geyser. There is a 60l water tank in the Pajero that can supplement the Sundowner’s water tank. (So we can use non drinking water for showering)

Name:	IMG_6458.JPG 
Views:	403 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	456880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6438.JPG 
Views:	411 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	456881   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4639.JPG 
Views:	393 
Size:	331.8 KB 
ID:	456882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4620.JPG 
Views:	598 
Size:	255.5 KB 
ID:	456883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4588_2.JPG 
Views:	419 
Size:	316.4 KB 
ID:	456884  
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB

Oulike wa!

Nice pics, what is the towing like with the Pajero Mcowell ?

Quote Originally Posted by William62 View Post
    Power and handling wise the Pajero was fine, but I do have a "creaking" noise from the towbar area. It is a Frontrunner towbar and it shares some bolts with the auxiliary fuel tank. All the bolts are tight and I actually got Kavango Engineering in Maun to have a look at it too, but they could not determine the source of the noise without stripping the vehicle. It is going to Mitsubishi in Paarden Eiland on Monday.

I previously had a "creaking" noise from the Stofpad bashplate, all the bolts were tight and only after it was removed and everything cleaned, before replacing it, did the noise go away.

We met another couple in Nossob who had come through from Mabua, also Pajero and Sundowner, who, had not had any problems on that road.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mcowell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 69Klipkop View Post
    Malcolm - what we did in the kitchen was the following:

Second pull out drawers just under the existing one. Double the cutlery space
    All carpets changed with black rubber. Easier to clean

I am going to fit the extra cupboard on top of the fridge drawer as well. It's standard on all new S'downers

No photos but ask Jasper / Jaco about our Sundowner.

Regards

Andre
    Hi see you said in 2015 that the Sundowner weight is 750kg that is surely not on the towbar

Quote Originally Posted by William62 View Post
    William, as I said it is a Front Runner towbar, and they told me that the Gen 3 and Gen 4 are the same but it is not true.

The towbar had not been on my Gen 3 long so I decided to move it to the Gen 4. I then had to grind away a bit of metal to get it to fit but did not take quite enough off the one side and you can see in the photo where it was rubbing against the body. (About a 10mm mark in the middle of the photo) It is hard to believe that such a small area could cause me so much concern.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB

I got my Sundowner back from Bushwakka today after a couple of "tweaks".

One of them was this extra protective cover that now fits over the front of the bush-fan to protect it. We had quite a lot of damage to the cover on our last trip, particularly on the road between Polentswa and Zutshwa, via Kaa gate. I don't think it is necessary to use it on "normal" SA roads.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mcowell; 2017/09/14 at 08:51 PM.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB

Hi M, sorry to hear of your problem with the Pajero tow bar, I recently bought a 2016 Pajero Exceed and had to fit a tow bar. As I had various Pajeros over the past 20 years with most of them fitted with Bosal tow bars I went for the Bosal brand again. In my search for a tow bar I researched the Frontrunner tow bar as well but was told outright by FR that their tow bar was not SABS certified, in fact as far as I could ascertain, Bosal is the only tow bar being SABS certified. The Gen 3 and Gen 4 Pajero takes exactly the same tow bar, in the past Bosal used to supply a longer head for the Gen 4 re the spare wheel issue being in the center and low, as an after market accessory. The Bosal tow bar does not touch the body in the area you indicate and is in fact a well designed and engineered unit. Your squeaking noise could well be coming from the area where it chafes the body. make sure that you have 8.8 high tensile bolts fitted all round and that they are torqued to the right values. Be sure that all play on the bolts are taken up in the direction of the load path which the tow ball might see before tightening.

Hi Eloff,

The towbar was definitely rubbing against the bodywork, as per the photo. The noise seems to be gone now, so will see how it goes. They are all 8.8 high tensile bolts but if I have any further hassles, I will probably change to Bosal.

Although the Gen 3 and Gen 4 look very similar there are a lot of small differences as I found out on the towbar and drawer system as well, that I carried over.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB

My wife and I recently spent a month travelling fromSimon’s Town to Kosi Bay and back; the idea being to see the turtles, laying,in which we were successful!

Camping places we stayed over at included, Morgan Bay,Salt Rock, False Bay (Lake St Lucia), Utshwayelo (Kosi Bay), DrakensbergGardens, and Mountain Zebra NP, we also divided 6 nights between Umngazi RiverBungalows and Hilltop Camp, Hluhluwe. We had to move to a more shelteredcampsite at False Bay after a storm. Day visits to Addo NP and Tembe ElephantPark were also included.

We had un-seasonal weather a lot of the time,which tested us and our Sundowner, and caused us to change our travel plans anumber of times.

Name:	01_2.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	471267   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02_2.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	471268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03_2.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	471269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04_2.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	471270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05_2.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	471271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06_2.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	471272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07_2.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	471273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08_2.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	219.7 KB 
ID:	471274  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09_2.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	471275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10_2.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	471276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11_2.JPG 
Views:	298 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	471277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12_2.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	471278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13_2.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	471279  
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB

Quote Originally Posted by eloffmare View Post
    Hi M, sorry to hear of your problem with the Pajero tow bar, I recently bought a 2016 Pajero Exceed and had to fit a tow bar. As I had various Pajeros over the past 20 years with most of them fitted with Bosal tow bars I went for the Bosal brand again. In my search for a tow bar I researched the Frontrunner tow bar as well but was told outright by FR that their tow bar was not SABS certified, in fact as far as I could ascertain, Bosal is the only tow bar being SABS certified. The Gen 3 and Gen 4 Pajero takes exactly the same tow bar, in the past Bosal used to supply a longer head for the Gen 4 re the spare wheel issue being in the center and low, as an after market accessory. The Bosal tow bar does not touch the body in the area you indicate and is in fact a well designed and engineered unit. Your squeaking noise could well be coming from the area where it chafes the body. make sure that you have 8.8 high tensile bolts fitted all round and that they are torqued to the right values. Be sure that all play on the bolts are taken up in the direction of the load path which the tow ball might see before tightening.
    An update on the tow bar story. During our KZN trip in December the tow bar started rubbing against the body again; so I broke down and got Mitsubishi to fit a new approved one.

We have just completed a trip to Kgalagadi without any groaning from the back of the Pajero so I have to view it as money well spent. (I have included a couple of photos to show we were there.)

Name:	IMG_3644.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	486406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3670_1.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	486407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3673_1.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	486408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3729.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	486409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5220.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	486410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5222.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	486411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5223.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	486412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5233.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	486413  

Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mcowell For This Useful Post:

kick starting an old thread, hoping for some more info..

so the past weekend my inlaws went off to the Kyknet buite expo in search of an off road caravan to replace their 2012 sprite swing and trailer with. MIL is past the ttt fase, and gatvol of climbing up the ladder.

Searching high and low in and out all on show. And decided on the Bushwakka Sundowner off-road caravan in grey as on show.

I am looking for any advise on their behalf as to negative and or optional extras that should be considered or is a waste of money based on your experience.

TIA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast