12v Sparks flying!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 12v Sparks flying!!

From time to time, it happens that I need to check a fuse here and there, some of the fuses is the type with two eyelids, inline on a positive wire...

so anyway, whilst unscrewing the nuts of the fuse, every now and again the socket wrench or whatever touches the body of the vehicle and then just sparks, ek skrik ek my gat af elke keer!!!

Does one get socket extension handles that are fully rubber coated

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Triton Clubcab 2x4 2.5 DID
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

Default Re: 12v Sparks flying!!

Yes you do, but the sockets are in the serious price range.

Rather take an old clipboard, magazine and place it in between whatever you are testing to try prevent a short.

Get plasti-dip (think that is what it is called) from Midas/Auto Zone/Builders. Dip the handle in it a couple of times, then you have an isolated handle. Not that expensive.
    I might be a FOOL, but I am an OLD fool - from unknown.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ockert123 For This Useful Post:

Insulation tape should insulate it nicely, too.....
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

the best practice will be to remove the positive terminal off the battery...
    1985 Land Rover 110 - 300tdi conversion

It's always more fun on the road less travelled

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iLandy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iLandy View Post
    the best practice will be to remove the positive terminal off the battery...
    No never.... no you do not remove the positive as a short with the spanner might/could happen.

ALWAYS remove the negative first, no short can happen if you short out negative to negative.

First rule of batteries, neg first.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    SOLD 2020 Jan.
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to K-9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
    No never.... no you do not remove the positive as a short with the spanner might/could happen.

ALWAYS remove the negative first, no short can happen if you short out negative to negative.

well Iíve learnt something today, makes sense, thank you.
    Iíve done it once where I was undoing the pos terminal and the spanner touched some metal. I shat.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Iíve done it once where I was undoing the pos terminal and the spanner touched some metal. I shat.
    It's a good practice to disconnect the negative terminal wire from the battery first and then the positive side as previously mentioned. A friend of mine had a silver chain and pendant touch the positive terminal of the battery as he leaned over the motor to adjust the timing. In a flash the thin silver chain had melted and burned into his neck. It left him with a nasty scar / brand around his neck. 12v DC from a battery in your car can do serious damage to your health with the amps it can deliver.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes theyíre already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptein Jack View Post
    From time to time, it happens that I need to check a fuse here and there, some of the fuses is the type with two eyelids, inline on a positive wire...

so anyway, whilst unscrewing the nuts of the fuse, every now and again the socket wrench or whatever touches the body of the vehicle and then just sparks, ek skrik ek my gat af elke keer!!!

Does one get socket extension handles that are fully rubber coated
    Just wrap it in insulation tape.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

That spanner get hot very quickly hey!
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

It's one thing just crapping your self on a normal 12v system, it's another thing when you are working on a truck with 24v system and a few more amps.
    That 13 spanner will ark and weld it self to what ever it touched, then the dangerous bit starts!

Always negative off first.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post

Would that be the opposite when re-connecting? i.e. Positive first?
    Some good tips here.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Insulation tape not a good option. In no time it gets sticky, messy and the end starts unwinding. Nothing worse than sticky hands while using your spanners. Rather Plastidip as suggested earlier or even heat shrink on socket extentions.

There are three golden rules however, when working on 12v or in the engine bay:
    1. Always remove the battery earth when working on batteries.
    2. Remove all watches, rings and jewelry to prevent accidental short-circuits and burns. (think sticking hand down the side of the engine and the ring on your finger touching the live on the back of the starter and at the same time earthing against the starter body. The ring could weld in place and turn it white hot in seconds. You could (dare I say "WILL") loose a finger because of the severe burn like that...
    3. Always remove the earth first and reconnect it last. That way you can never cause an accidental short-circuit with the spanner.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/02/14 at 06:16 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Would that be the opposite when re-connecting? i.e. Positive first?
    Some good tips here.
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Insulation tape not a good option. In no time it gets sticky, messy and the end starts unwinding. Nothing worse than sticky hands while using your spanners. Rather Plastidip as suggested earlier or even heat shrink on socket extentions.

There are three golden rules however, when working on 12v or in the engine bay:
    1. Always remove the battery earth when working on batteries.
    2. Remove all watches, rings and jewelry to prevent accidental short-circuits and burns. (think sticking hand down the side of the engine and the ring on your finger touching the live on the back of the starter and at the same time earthing against the starter body. The ring could weld in place and turn it white hot in seconds. You could (dare I say "WILL") loose a finger because of the severe burn like that...
    3. Always remove the earth first and reconnect it last. That way you can never cause an accidental short-circuit with the spanner.
    Insulation tape works, but needs to be removed afterwards for the "sticky" reasons above.

Number 2 above is very important - I know of someone who lost their finger when his wedding ring became the short circuit - apparently it got red hot in an instant and it was impossible to remove quickly enough. In this case the ring completed the circuit between the spanner attached to the battery positive terminal and the vehicle body. It would not have happened if he had removed the negative terminal first, or of course his ring.

Not sure I understand, with the earth disconnected and you touch accidentally positive and any place on the earth body nothing will happen.?
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

I once had blisters around my left wrist in the shape of a watch strap. Never wore a watch again till this day.
    98 Hilux 2.8D D/C 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    Insulation tape works, but needs to be removed afterwards for the "sticky" reasons above.

Number 2 above is very important - I know of someone who lost their finger when his wedding ring became the short circuit - apparently it got red hot in an instant and it was impossible to remove quickly enough. In this case the ring completed the circuit between the spanner attached to the battery positive terminal and the vehicle body. It would not have happened if he had removed the negative terminal first, or of course his ring.
    Swambo has been buying me silicone wedding rings since I started losing weight, and now I just won't wear anything else. No shocks, no heat, and they are super comfy.
    Office Johnny

2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
    2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold
    2007 Pajero GLS 3.2DiD - Sold

My ups setup is 16x12v series 192v. The original setup in ups was 3 x 16x12v total 48 7ah batteries
    Changed to 16x12v 105ah connected to house for loadshedding
    I am scared to touch that inappropriately
    Riku
    2011 Echo4 with Blinkgat Nose cone and

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Not sure I understand, with the earth disconnected and you touch accidentally positive and any place on the earth body nothing will happen.?
    100% correct.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast