Camping in Swaziland( ESWATINI)

Default Camping in Swaziland( ESWATINI)

Hi fellow campers. I plan a first trip to Swaziland in April and specifically to camp at Mlilwane and from there doing day trips to Malolotja Nature reserve and Hlane Royal National Park. My question is how is the road conditions, potholes, stone throwing etc, I have 4x4 with high clearens. Are day visitors allowed in the camping site with the risk link to that.Any border hints ( will be crossing the border at Nerstone Sandlane) and other feedback from experienced travelers to Swaziland will be apreciated

Default Re: Camping in Swaziland( ESWATINI)

Youíll get better feedback asking in the Swaziland section.

Road conditions are generally good and people are friendly. Not sure if there are any border restrictions in place.

Why arenít you camping at Hlane?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HENDRI FOURIE View Post
    Hi fellow campers. I plan a first trip to Swaziland in April and specifically to camp at Mlilwane and from there doing day trips to Malolotja Nature reserve and Hlane Royal National Park. My question is how is the road conditions, potholes, stone throwing etc, I have 4x4 with high clearens. Are day visitors allowed in the camping site with the risk link to that.Any border hints ( will be crossing the border at Nerstone Sandlane) and other feedback from experienced travelers to Swaziland will be apreciated
    I was in Mbabane for business in March last year and camped at Mlilwane for a night. I didn't have a lot of time for sightseeing the reserve itself - I was disappointed it is so close to civilization. It reminded me of Groenkloof in Pretoria. It is far from shops though so make sure you have all necessary provisions as the shop on the premises have the basics.

They also have a restaurant with buffet and the prices weren't too steep iirc. When the fire in the boma was lit some wart hogs came to lie down right next to the fire.

Name:  IMG_5840.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  280.3 KB

They have a nice big pool. I went for a trail run the next morning and about 2,5 kms in I stopped to fasten my shoe lace. My legs were full of those tiny red-legged ticks. I did an about turn right there to find a jeep track / open road and then went straight for a dip in that pool to try drown the ticks. I'd suggest taking precautions for ticks - It is probably not isolated to Mlilwane.

I had no issues at the border. There was this one obscure white hut where I had to drive back to for a gate pass. The instructions on where to go after leaving the office building isn't very clear.

A visit to the Ngwenya shop near the Oshoek border post is worthwhile imo.

Not sure if you are into adrenaline but Sibebe looks nice

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CabousBeer For This Useful Post:

Really not much has changed a lot since all other tips in Swaziland section.

only one thing is the road toll for foreign reg cars has gone up from R 50 to R 100 payable at customs at the border.

This is the official tourism website lots of info on places there.

Roads are a bit potholey after good rains this year. especially coming through the smaller border post.

Look out for the abundance of speed bumps - various size and usually unmarked-

try avoid driving at night- cattle like to sleep on warm asphalt

https://www.thekingdomofeswatini.com/

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

Following these guys and they have just left Swaziland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyilkxprAM0
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

In general Swaziland is safe destination and the roads are quite good.
    We found camping in Mlilwane like camping in a glorified picnic area, camping stands quite regimented, ablutions quite far off and, in general, totally uninteresting. There's not much to see or do in the park, the birding was reasonable. One day there is enough.
    You can camp at Malolotja - great setting and very rewarding for the adventurous. The ablutions were very rustic.
    Camping at Hlane is really nice, no electricity.
    We also camped at Maguga Lodge at Maguga Dam for couple of nights. Quite nice there, on the water, tricky access, lousy fishing (at least it was for us).
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, youíre missing the point.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

Was there recently

Milwane - nice place to go for a run, bike (you can rent mountain bikes), also quite a nice drive up to execution rock with a bit of a hike to the top
    Hlane - quite nice, no electricity, and free wood

Roads were very good (tar roads), the gravel roads not too bad, depending on the amount of rain.

Very nice places, will be back soon

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mannemerak For This Useful Post:

PRA: Ek sien jy het by Malolotja en Maguga Lodge gekamp. Ons gaan ook deur Swaziland ry na KNP in Augustus en is opsoek na kampplek in die omgewing van Piggs Peak.
    Watter kampplek sal jy aanbeveel. Ons ry met 'n sedan motor (Toyota RAV). Ons beoog om so 3 nagte daar deur te bring.
    Jou advies sal waardeer word.

Daar is kampplek by Maguga Dam.

Maar 1 nag is beslis genoeg.

Jy kan gaan kamp by Malelane Golfklub op die walle van die Krokodilrivier. Dagbesoek aan Kruger.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Dankie Elize, Het Maguga Dam kampplek krag en hoe lyk die pad vanaf die teerpad? Ons het met ons vorige besoek aan KNP by die Golfklub Malelane gekamp. Ons wil 'n paar dae in Swaziland deurbring alhoewel dit ons 2de besoek aan Swaziland sal wees. Ons eerste kamp vir 3 dae is by Siphofaneni en daarna wil ons naby Piggs Peak kamp ook vir 3 dae en daarvandaan Onder Sabie toe. Met ons vorige besoek het ons by Hlane en Miliwane gekamp, ons probeer om nie 2keer by dieselfde kampplek te kamp nie.
    Last edited by maanskotze; 2020/02/18 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maanskotze View Post
    Dankie Elize, Het Maguga Dam kampplek krag en hoe lyk die pad vanaf die teerpad? Ons het met ons vorige besoek aan KNP by die Golfklub Malelane gekamp. Ons wil 'n paar dae in Swaziland deurbring alhoewel dit ons 2de besoek aan Swaziland sal wees. Ons eerste kamp vir 3 dae is by Siphofaneni en daarna wil ons naby Piggs Peak kamp ook vir 3 dae en daarvandaan Onder Sabie toe. Met ons vorige besoek het ons by Hlane en Miliwane gekamp, ons probeer om nie 2keer by dieselfde kampplek te kamp nie.
    Die pad vanaf die teer na die kampplek by Maguga kan by tye nogal uitgespoel wees maar as jou kar redelikke grondvryhoogte het sal jy maklik tot daar kom. Daar is elektrisiteit by meeste van die staanplekke maar as jy van die mooier staanplekke wil gebruik sou ek 'n 25M verlengingskoord aanbeveel. Die ablusies is basies maar skoon. Daar is stap en fietsroetes asook boot toere. Hulle restaurant maak baie lekker kos en is nie te duur nie.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Dankie Koebelwagen, weet jy dalk naasteby hoeveel kilos is die grondpad vanaf die teerpad. Die Toyota RAV het nogal redelike grondvryhoogte en ek sleep 'n grondpad fibre karavaan wat ook 'n redelike grondvryhoogte het.

Toe ons verlede jaar die damwal besoek het, was daar ook mense wat gekamp het by die bootklub.

Dit het gelyk asof daar wel kragpunte is en ook piekniek bankies. Ons het egter nie gekamp nie.

DIe inry na die lodge kan nie meer as 1 km wees nie.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Dankie Koebelwagen, weet jy dalk naasteby hoeveel kilos is die grondpad vanaf die teerpad. Die Toyota RAV het nogal redelike grondvryhoogte en ek sleep 'n grondpad fibre karavaan wat ook 'n redelike grondvryhoogte het.
    Jammer ek kom nou eers terug na jou. Was bietjie weg gewees.

Dis teerpad tot by die ingang na Maguga Lodge en van daar is dit 'n tweespoor paadjie van ongeveer 800M tot by die kamp area. Jy behoort reg te kom met 'n RAV4 en 'n woonwa met redelikke grondvryhoogte.
    Brandt Theunissen
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

If you have the money and time do the canopy tours at malolotja. Also drive down to nkomati viewpoint and take a day walk down to the upper potholes.

I have had only positive experiences in Swaziland. Roads are ok. There are potholes and people like to drive in oncoming Lanes to avoid the pot holes.

If you do stop at a road stall to look at some carvings or other items, be prepared to be swarmed. Avoid walking in rural back roads. Otherwise you will be shocked at the contrast between the swazi folk and the sa folk.

Watch for cattle and goats. Had a few close calls.
    Last edited by CArch; 2020/02/26 at 08:44 PM.

Dankie Koebelwagen.

Mag vleis nou ingeneem word of nie. Jare gelede toe ons ook in Swaziland was kon jy net hoender inneem.
    Indien jy nie vleis mag inneem nie hoe is die kwaliteit en prys van vleis in Swaziland en waar is die beste om te koop.

Dankie Koebelwagen.

Mag vleis nou ingeneem word of nie. Jare gelede toe ons ook in Swaziland was kon jy net hoender inneem.
    Indien jy nie vleis mag inneem nie hoe is die kwaliteit en prys van vleis in Swaziland en waar is die beste om te koop.
    As daar nie 'n verbod is soos met bek en klou seer gevalle nie dan kan jy. Spar en Pick & Pay het groot winkels in die groot dorpe waar mens vleis kan koop. Kwaliteit is nie altyd die beste nie en pryse is vergelykbaar met S.A. Piggs Peak het 'n Savemore/ Usave? waar basiese benodighede gekoop kan word en dis ook die naaste brandstof bron van Maguga af.

Die dam is baie diep, tot 100M wanner dit vol is. Dit lyk nie so van die lodge se kant af nie maar neem 'n rit oor die wal en sien die wal van die agterkant af. Dis indrukwekkend. Net na die wal is daar 'n reastaurant/ rus area. Gaan drink gerus 'n drankie daar, die mense is vriendelik en die geriewe baie skoon.
    Brandt Theunissen
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Dankie Koebelwagen.

Om in te neem kos n permit van ( R 10) waneer ons laas daar was omtredt 3 of 4 jaar terrug.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2