Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Oppi plaas
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,594
    Thanked: 865

    Default Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    Leisure Wheels did comparison testing between 10 bakkies, read all about it here:

    https://www.leisurewheels.co.za/4x4-news/volkswagen-amarok-bakkie-year/
    Last edited by Bosvark Kzn; 2020/02/12 at 11:36 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,662
    Thanked: 3430

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    Are these magazines just playing musical chairs? Last year was the Ford. Year before the Hilux iirc

    In the 3 years very little has changed apart from their opinion
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    67
    Posts
    1,851
    Thanked: 708

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Are these magazines just playing musical chairs? Last year was the Ford. Year before the Hilux iirc

    In the 3 years very little has changed apart from their opinion

    My observation as well.
    So, don't despair, Toyo owners



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    55
    Posts
    126
    Thanked: 46

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    Quote Originally Posted by Bosvark Kzn View Post
    Leisure Wheels did comparison testing between 10 bakkies, read all about it here:

    https://www.leisurewheels.co.za/4x4-news/volkswagen-amarok-bakkie-year/
    Very Interesting indeed! The oldest bakkie of them all, take the honours!!
    Piet the Camper
    Bl 24

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    49
    Posts
    565
    Thanked: 251

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    If the two scores of the judges, that might be biased, are left out of the equation and only the measured results are taken into account it looks slightly different.

    1. Ranger with 93.9
    2. Amarok with 88.2
    3. Raptor with 88.1
    4. Hilux 87.1
    5. Isuzu 86.6
    6. Mercedes 86.4
    7. Nissan 86.0
    8. Mahindra 83.9
    9. Mitsubishi 83.5
    10. Land Cruiser 67.0
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Oppi plaas
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,594
    Thanked: 865

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    Triton parts prices are scary! 322% more than the Isuzu D-Max.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lonehill, JHB
    Age
    43
    Posts
    6,392
    Thanked: 910

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    These tests prove absolutely nothing. They are only done to boost magazine sales, nothing else.

    Taken with a pinch of salt
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to KurtG For This Useful Post:


  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    49
    Posts
    565
    Thanked: 251

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    I have to agree with you there Kurt. If you look at the previous test done by the Aussies it is a different story all together.

    I would also like to know how the part prices were quoted on the Triton. To be 320% sounds a bit unbelievable.
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    These tests prove absolutely nothing. They are only done to boost magazine sales, nothing else.

    Taken with a pinch of salt
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Oppi plaas
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,594
    Thanked: 865

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    I would also like to know how the part prices were quoted on the Triton. To be 320% sounds a bit unbelievable.
    The way I understand it, they take a list of parts and compare prices for the same parts.
    The Isuzu D-Max parts are the cheapest and the Mitsubishi Triton the most expensive, 322% more expensive than the Isuzu, for the same parts.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lonehill, JHB
    Age
    43
    Posts
    6,392
    Thanked: 910

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    I can believe that. I have found that Mitsubishi parts in 2020 have increased by at least 50%, from what I have seen.

    I wonder how they can sit there in their boardroom and come up with such a strategy when the parts are already so expensive and sales are so low?

    This is another nail in Mitsubishiís coffin in this country, Iím afraid.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    58
    Posts
    9,228
    Thanked: 2736

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    If the two scores of the judges, that might be biased, are left out of the equation and only the measured results are taken into account it looks slightly different.

    1. Ranger with 93.9
    2. Amarok with 88.2
    3. Raptor with 88.1
    4. Hilux 87.1
    5. Isuzu 86.6
    6. Mercedes 86.4
    7. Nissan 86.0
    8. Mahindra 83.9
    9. Mitsubishi 83.5
    10. Land Cruiser 67.0
    Huge smile for the Cruiser on the list.Definitely never meant to be a luxury DC.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,771
    Thanked: 1942

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    I can believe that. I have found that Mitsubishi parts in 2020 have increased by at least 50%, from what I have seen.

    I wonder how they can sit there in their boardroom and come up with such a strategy when the parts are already so expensive and sales are so low?

    This is another nail in Mitsubishi’s coffin in this country, I’m afraid.
    They are doing it because they see it as "The service plan will cover it"

    Have seen Subaru do the same with some of their service components like their cambelt kits (some other parts have been dirt cheap though)
    Now that the models that used that is all out of warranty they noticed massive drop in sales of those so all of a sudden the prices have come down massively

    But yes I do agree with you 100% they think hey we are making extra money
    But allot of their loyal customers is going elsewhere for either the parts
    Or for the parts and the vehicles

    And once they lose those (especially in cases where the people could not get support) they are very very hard to get back

    And funniest part is that if you put effort in to keep a customer happy then it has far higher return than trying to spend money on getting other customers to replace them
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2020/02/13 at 06:45 AM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

    Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

  14. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    54
    Posts
    136
    Thanked: 159

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    Quote Originally Posted by Bosvark Kzn View Post
    The way I understand it, they take a list of parts and compare prices for the same parts.
    The Isuzu D-Max parts are the cheapest and the Mitsubishi Triton the most expensive, 322% more expensive than the Isuzu, for the same parts.

    Yes but Mitsu's dont break so the parts pricing should not be an issue :-)

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ejay For This Useful Post:


  16. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,795
    Thanked: 137

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    Isuzu will take it next year with the new D-Max

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chintsa East
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,374
    Thanked: 461

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    Motoring publications have to tread very carefully when evaluating a vehicle.

    A lot is at stake, advertising, test vehicles, long term test vehicles.

    Not thumbsuck a mate of mine is a motoring journalist.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,662
    Thanked: 3430

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    I can believe that. I have found that Mitsubishi parts in 2020 have increased by at least 50%, from what I have seen.

    I wonder how they can sit there in their boardroom and come up with such a strategy when the parts are already so expensive and sales are so low?

    This is another nail in Mitsubishiís coffin in this country, Iím afraid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
    They are doing it because they see it as "The service plan will cover it"

    Have seen Subaru do the same with some of their service components like their cambelt kits (some other parts have been dirt cheap though)
    Now that the models that used that is all out of warranty they noticed massive drop in sales of those so all of a sudden the prices have come down massively

    But yes I do agree with you 100% they think hey we are making extra money
    But allot of their loyal customers is going elsewhere for either the parts
    Or for the parts and the vehicles

    And once they lose those (especially in cases where the people could not get support) they are very very hard to get back

    And funniest part is that if you put effort in to keep a customer happy then it has far higher return than trying to spend money on getting other customers to replace them
    You would be surprised how often this happen across all industries.

    I am faced with exactly the same scenario. To address a loss making area, management, in a whiplash reaction, decides to up the price per unit. Rather than addressing the reason for the loss, which has been a long time coming, for all to see, but was met with head in the sand approach. Short sightedness is very alive in the current economy, all just geared to make quick profit or immediately eliminating a loss making situation and keep shareholders happy mostly at the expense of the customer. Then we complain when they vote with their feet.

    Now I am left with the poo and have to explain to customers the price increase, but still expected to sell even more of the unit at the inflated price!!
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,123
    Thanked: 2156

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    Quote Originally Posted by pwgg View Post
    Motoring publications have to tread very carefully when evaluating a vehicle.A lot is at stake, advertising, test vehicles, long term test vehicles.Not thumbsuck a mate of mine is a motoring journalist.
    This ^^^^ is why their writings are just advertisements. Their articles and opinions mean nothing
    _______________________________________
    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:


  21. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ezulwini Eswatini
    Posts
    1,638
    Thanked: 1910

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    I read somewhere that Hyundai will be entering the fray soon with a DC bakkie.

    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

  22. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,002
    Thanked: 835

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    Isuzu will take it next year with the new D-Max
    In 2022 maybe, only arriving in SA in Sept 2021.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

  23. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,123
    Thanked: 2156

    Default Re: Amarok is bakkie of the year - Leisure Wheels

    Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    In 2022 maybe, only arriving in SA in Sept 2021.
    I have it under good authority that it will be here by March next year
    _______________________________________
    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •