Mud Terrains on a 2x4- waste of time and Money?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mud Terrains on a 2x4- waste of time and Money?

Hi guys.

I have been farming in Bloemfontein for the last few years. Now recently moved to Howick in the KZN midlands. As it rains far more here than in Bloem, I am having great difficulty with my 2x4 Hilux 2,4gd6 on getting around the farm when it is wet.

The bakkie still has its Original Bridgestone Duellers on, but they need replacing.

Im looking at something that will give me more traction. Will mud terrains do the trick or will the benefit off road, be outweighed by increased fuel consumption and noise on tar?

I drive about 60% tar and 40% farm offroad.

Default Re: Mud Terrains on a 2x4- waste of time and Money?

I'd say go for a more aggressive A/T but not full mud terrains.

Check out something like a Goodyear Duratrac
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluImpi View Post
    Hi guys.

I have been farming in Bloemfontein for the last few years. Now recently moved to Howick in the KZN midlands. As it rains far more here than in Bloem, I am having great difficulty with my 2x4 Hilux 2,4gd6 on getting around the farm when it is wet.

The bakkie still has its Original Bridgestone Duellers on, but they need replacing.

Im looking at something that will give me more traction. Will mud terrains do the trick or will the benefit off road, be outweighed by increased fuel consumption and noise on tar?

I drive about 60% tar and 40% farm offroad.
    I would say the consideration would be the same for your 4x2 as it would be for a 4x4. If MT tyres can give more traction on the terrain you would be using them on, your bakkie will certainly benefit from them.
    Yes, fuel consumption might go up by around 1 l/100 km and it will be more noisy on tar, but if you get a 60/40 tar / farm it would certainly be justifiable. Whether it's worth while, only you will know.
    Tyres won't make your 4x2 a go anywhere mud crawler, but I'm sure you are aware of that. But they would give more grip off road and might just give your traction control or diff lock the grip the bakkie is missing.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

They only tyre that really works in mud is a mud terrain tyre. The improvemnt if you move to AT would be marginal, maybe a cooper st maxx would work as its a mix between at and mt.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW G650 xChallenge

Most mud terrain tires are designed to be self cleaning, meaning that they will throw out the mud as the wheel spins thus cleaning/clearing the traction area. Other tires just become slicks.

You will definitely benefit with mudz.

PS. Your front tires will clog up at slow speeds since there is no centrifugal force that's forcing the mud out, this might make steering difficult but as soon as you pickup some speed the front tires will also clean.
    Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2020/02/12 at 11:01 AM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

I would stay away from the likes of Cooper ST Maxx and GY Duratrac, BFG KO2 and other "more aggressive" AT tyres in this instance. They are, after all AT tyres, not mud tyres. And those who have experience with them in proper mud conditions will attest to that those kind of tyres are not great in mud.
    The OP mentions wet conditions on the farm, which I would interpret as mud.
    If you have a look at the tyre print a Cooper ST Maxx leaves eg on a sand road, you will notice that the gaps between the tread blocks aren't really wider than those of an GY Wrangler Adventure. The tread blocks are wider, but for mud the gaps in between the tread blocks are relevant. Too narrow and they simply clog up.

I got the ST Maxx on my FJ and when I compare them to the Maxtrek Mud Track on my 60 series cruiser, or the Nankang Mudstar I had before, or the STT Pro on my neighbour's FJ, those MT tyres have much wider gaps in between the tread blocks and perform much better in mud or on wet grass (which tends to become mud rather quickly.

For the OP's purpose, I would go all the way or nothing. A decent MT these days isn't louder, nor more uncomfortable nor higher in fuel consumption than a ST Maxx, Duratrac or KO2.
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2020/02/12 at 02:59 PM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

I would also recommend not going full muds but rather look at a aggressive all terrain, I have aggressive muds on my bakkie and I love them off road, mud, sinkplaat, loose gravel they are awesome - no issues, but on tar - apart from the noise and fuel consumption that I don't mind, comes the balancing issues, it drives me insane, I have tried balancing beads, road force balancing, no balancing, rim tests ... muds just don't like the tar and excessive tar driving make them wear unevenly so the longer you have them the more out of balance they will go. When I first got them I had no balancing issues, as time goes by it gets worse. When I eventually change them they will probably be egg shaped ...

My buddie just put on a set of BFG KM3 M/T on his Jeep and let me tell you those things are not noisy at ALL.
    05 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.2 Did GLX

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcoP For This Useful Post:

A decent MT these days isn't louder, nor more uncomfortable nor higher in fuel consumption than a ST Maxx, Duratrac or KO2.[/QUOTE]

100% Agree. My Cousin has a set of KO2's on his Navara and they are not any less noisy than my GG X3's. The X3's are also better in the wet than the KO2's from my experience.

Just my 2c's...
    Last edited by ChristiaanV; 2020/02/14 at 02:38 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristiaanV For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by deejaycee_2000 View Post
    I would also recommend not going full muds but rather look at a aggressive all terrain, I have aggressive muds on my bakkie and I love them off road, mud, sinkplaat, loose gravel they are awesome - no issues, but on tar - apart from the noise and fuel consumption that I don't mind, comes the balancing issues, it drives me insane, I have tried balancing beads, road force balancing, no balancing, rim tests ... muds just don't like the tar and excessive tar driving make them wear unevenly so the longer you have them the more out of balance they will go. When I first got them I had no balancing issues, as time goes by it gets worse. When I eventually change them they will probably be egg shaped ...
    Never had that problem, unless the tyres where not rotated regularly and / or driven way above the speed limit on tar.
    If you are in it for the looks, or for dry terrain, go aggressive A/T. However there are also plenty reports on several of those going out of round or giving balancing issues, uneven wear, etc. These problems seem to arise due to large tread blocks.
    For muddy conditions however, those tyres won't be able to keep up with proper M/Ts.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Most mud terrain tires are designed to be self cleaning, meaning that they will throw out the mud as the wheel spins thus cleaning/clearing the traction area. Other tires just become slicks.

You will definitely benefit with mudz.

PS. Your front tires will clog up at slow speeds since there is no centrifugal force that's forcing the mud out, this might make steering difficult but as soon as you pickup some speed the front tires will also clean.
    This
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Farming in the Port Alfred area with a 4x2 Isuzu. Go for the muds, you won't look back.

I was at a basket ball tournament for my son at St Sithians. Quite a few of us had parked on pretty flatfish grass and then the rain came down. There was a guy with a colt bakkie with Muddies and 2wd. He was spinning up a storm and eventually managed to get out. I started moving and noticed that I was spinning a little. Into 4 lo and idled out of the grass with no further slippage. I had perilli ATs on at the time.

This is entirely anecdotal, however I would say 4x4+Slicks>2x4+muds>car with normal tyres.

I am sure the muddies will help and you will look cool as they also flick a lot more mud up the sides of your bakkie so you will have more houding to boot.

I still say....

The guys use these in the states in areas with sleet snow and mud to great affect.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by A1ex; 2020/02/14 at 04:12 PM.
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    This is entirely anecdotal, however I would say 4x4+Slicks>2x4+muds>car with normal tyres.
    I like the equation Stephen. Torque however, is an enemy of traction. As soon as the adhesive tension of the surface is broken, then slippage occurs. So it is possible that under the circumstances and conditions you describe, a plonker with muds and 4x4 could go less distance with more spinning than an aunty in a platkar with normal road tyres and more judicial use of the throttle.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Use the muds, and you ill be sorted.

Okay my experience is with 4x4's but mud and sand with A/T tyres is not much better than with H/T and low tyre pressure.

With muds you have the advantage that you don't lose forward momentum when the spinning starts, so you keep moving and not bogging.
    If the A/Ts are clogging up you just spin and dig in.

One consideration is the braking distance with muds, the M/T's will compromised as on tar you won't have the same grip as with A/T's or H/T's so they will slip earlier or activate the traction control which both will be to the detriment of the fast stop.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

I must say that on a trip with the KZN land rover club I was amazed at some guys ripping up a muddy hill near westmead, valves bouncing, mud flying, and generally a lot of satisfying v8 noise.

Then a couple of guys pulled out their chains, which I thought odd given the complete absence of snow. Two tired 2 1/4 petrols chugged up the same muddy hill and I am not even convinced they engaged the yellow knob for 4x4.

Would be quite bothersome stopping to fit and remove chains but this may also be an option if this is a very occasional issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    I like the equation Stephen. Torque however, is an enemy of traction. As soon as the adhesive tension of the surface is broken, then slippage occurs. So it is possible that under the circumstances and conditions you describe, a plonker with muds and 4x4 could go less distance with more spinning than an aunty in a platkar with normal road tyres and more judicial use of the throttle.
    But Jermey always says "Power!"

I must say that i tend to like idling because I think a diesel sounds ### at higher revs, and you draw attention to yourself if you are being a tool. I just love the way unimogs seem to do everything at low speed with minimal effort, but if you have a unimog, you probably not getting stuck in a little bit of damp grass.

I've had Hanook MT's on a 4x2 Triton.

It honestly went places that no 4x2 had a right to.

Obviously rock crawling and super steep slopes out of the question but sand, mud and snow were handled amazingly well!

Those Hankooks also handled very well on tar and even in heavy rain with standing water etc.

If they hadn't got so expensive I'd only ever use them.
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew5336 For This Useful Post:

Where we take the dogs sometimes, there is a short, steep climb with loose sand and a couple of left / right alternating dips, almost like a shallow axle twister. Cant really go fast to carry momentum so one has to rely on traction.

In my FJ with Cooper ST Maxx tyres I have to engage A-Trac or lock the rear diff to get up.
    Took the old 60 series cruiser there today and with its Maxtrek Mud Track tyres it climbed up that hill without any wheel slip. And it doesn't have any lockers or traction aides. Tyres are the same width as the ST Maxx (265) but smaller diameter (31" vs 32").
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast