Patrol Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol.. - Page 3





Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 77
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    58
    Posts
    9,305
    Thanked: 2837

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    Quote Originally Posted by Metalmachine View Post

    In general, and I might be willing to exclude a very, very small minority of dealerships from this -
    The after sales service is APPALING!!
    The cost of spares is MINDBLOWING!!
    The technical product knowledge is NON-EXISTANT!!
    The technical abilities of staff is LACKING!!

    And generally, nobody gives a ####!!
    My experience as well. Have owned several Nissans. Very good and reliable vehicles. Sold my last Hardbodies 3 years ago. The two 3.0 V6 4x4's have done 500k km with no major problems. The 3.3 I sold to my brother he kept on nagging for a long time.

    I don't think I have the guts and the will to deal with Nissan again. As much as I love Patrols it were one of the reasons I stared away.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Henties
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,188
    Thanked: 747

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    Grips & Metalmachine, what you and many others are saying about Nissan SA is quite sad. It was also one of the factors that made me decide against becoming a Nissan customer 3 years ago.

    If one would buy an out of warranty Patrol, aren't there any decent workshops out there that aren't dealer workshops, but still know their way around Nissan? Wouldn't that spare one the frustration of dealing with Nissan?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    46
    Posts
    354
    Thanked: 82

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Grips & Metalmachine, what you and many others are saying about Nissan SA is quite sad. It was also one of the factors that made me decide against becoming a Nissan customer 3 years ago.

    If one would buy an out of warranty Patrol, aren't there any decent workshops out there that aren't dealer workshops, but still know their way around Nissan? Wouldn't that spare one the frustration of dealing with Nissan?
    G-tech Auto in Valhalla . Graham is a wiz on patrols

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothan For This Useful Post:


  5. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanked: 967

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    As far as maintenance on an out-of warranty Patrol is concerned, we in Gauteng have a couple of great guys who we can take our cars to.

    Graham has already been mentioned.

    Michael at Sojo Automotive is a whiz with the 4.2 diesel engine, but will do general maintenance tasks as well.
    Ant's Custom Shop does great work two. His speciality is electrical and sound, but he does lots of other stuff as well.

    In cape town, Frans Fourie is the man.

    The SA Terrain Tamer agent is also a Patrol owner and supports us well for the parts you can't get from Midas or wherever, and there is a specialist Patrol scrapyard near Bela Bela.

    Honestly, I haven't had to buy more than a couple of parts from Nissan in the last 3-4 years.

    As for the Y62: I have test-driven one on dirt and tar (but not off-road). It is a magnificent car. But it's not what I personally want in a 4x4.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2020/02/16 at 05:29 PM.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:


  7. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Langs die rivier, op n berg
    Posts
    13,811
    Thanked: 2970

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    Nissan SA is my grootste rede hoekom ek nie sommer weer n nissan nuut gaan koop.

    En die patetiese verskoning van n voertuig wat hulle die d23 navara noem.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

  8. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    64
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    Here in Oz they can't give them away. Nobody wants a fuel guzzling petrol 4WD.

    Sales figures for one year:
    Patrol , both versions available in Australia, both petrol v8s- 801
    All versions of the 200 series, including 70 series - 8343

    Cheers
    Numb Thumbs
    Australian member
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
    VistaRV Crossover XL campertrailer

  9. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,295
    Thanked: 2773

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    Yet it uses about the same fuel as the 200LC..
    Quote Originally Posted by Numb Thumbs View Post
    Here in Oz they can't give them away. Nobody wants a fuel guzzling petrol 4WD.

    Sales figures for one year:
    Patrol , both versions available in Australia, both petrol v8s- 801
    All versions of the 200 series, including 70 series - 8343

    Cheers
    Numb Thumbs
    _______________________________________
    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

  10. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    64
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    A PETROL one, yes, but they are at least as rare as Y62 Patrols here. The vast majority of 200 Series here are diesel. In fact, I only know of one petrol one, but dozens of diesels.

    The diesel 200 Series is no fuel miser. On trips, towing identical camper trailers, the 200 series used 25% more diesel than a diesel Prado 3 litre and a Jeep Grand Cherokee 3 litre diesel.

    I now have a 3 litre Sd6 Discovery 5 which has 25 more Kilowatts and 50 more Newton metres than the current 200 series 4.5 litre diesel - with 50% more capacity - and uses around 25% less fuel than the 200 Series does. The Disco weighs 400 kg less than the Toyota, too. And I know which I would rather drive... Hint - I bought one!

    Cheers
    Numb Thumbs
    Australian member
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
    VistaRV Crossover XL campertrailer

  11. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,295
    Thanked: 2773

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    Quote Originally Posted by Numb Thumbs View Post
    A PETROL one, yes, but they are at least as rare as Y62 Patrols here. The vast majority of 200 Series here are diesel. In fact, I only know of one petrol one, but dozens of diesels.The diesel 200 Series is no fuel miser. On trips, towing identical camper trailers, the 200 series used 25% more diesel than a diesel Prado 3 litre and a Jeep Grand Cherokee 3 litre diesel.I now have a 3 litre Sd6 Discovery 5 which has 25 more Kilowatts and 50 more Newton metres than the current 200 series 4.5 litre diesel - with 50% more capacity - and uses around 25% less fuel than the 200 Series does. The Disco weighs 400 kg less than the Toyota, too. And I know which I would rather drive... Hint - I bought one!CheersNumb Thumbs
    No, I meant the Y62 v8 Petrol's Patrol fuel consumption is comparable with the 200 LC Diesel.Check this thread: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-v8?highlight=
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2020/02/17 at 07:57 AM.
    _______________________________________
    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

  12. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,295
    Thanked: 2773

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    I love the way all the reviewers, that have tested the Patrol, state that it guzzles fuel, within their first sentence. Yet they never substanciate it. What I have seen in all the real world tests, is that when compared, the Y62 uses pretty much the same amount of fuel as the 200 LC D4d. Some instances, especially when towing, the Y62 even uses less than the D4d.The onboard computer in the LC200 is very far off as well.Just go and surf the YouTube comparisons, that do actually test the consumption and you will be very surprised.I drove the Y62 one day from Rustenburg to Pretoria East, and back and drove it hard, and got an average of 16km/l tank to tank. I think that the cruiser's reported figures are 14.8/100 at 100 .. But I have never heard of anyone getting less than 15.5.
    _______________________________________
    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

  13. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    64
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    People I know here who have driven both say the Nissan is not too bad - but worse than a 3 litre diesel - if driven gently. Hook up a trailer of 1.5 tonne or more and that changes dramatically. Tow around the limit of 3.5 tonne, drive at the speed limit and you can see the fuel gauge move on the Nissan. Drive hard and the fuel consumption rockets. Numbers in the high 20's and low 30's (l/100kms) are common.

    The worst I ever managed on the Jeep was 14.2 litres/100 km, towing 2 tonne into a 50 km/h headwind. The Disco, so far and I only have 5000 kms on it, towing 2 tonne at 110 km/h into a 35 km/h head wind was 14.6 l/100km. I doubt the Nissan could manage that towing a box trailer.

    Cheers
    Numb Thumbs
    Australian member
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
    VistaRV Crossover XL campertrailer

  14. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Bronkhorstspruit
    Age
    62
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    The biggest mistake I have ever made was selling my 4.8 Y61. It was awesome and with roof top tents and towing a heavy bush trailer I never got less than 5km’s per liter. Never a moments issue.
    I have only had excellent service from my Nissans. I have an old Hardbody 3.0.diesel with 250 000 kms and never a technical issue all parts are still original and never a breakdown.
    I am a Nissan fan as I have only owned Nissans for the last 30 years, this because I have never had a breakdown. That is my personal choice.

    I think SA is Toyota country and if they put a Toyota badge on a wheel barrow people would buy it😂😂😂
    Honestly though Toyota have done an amazing job in SA. But you can’t fault Nissan for their reliability
    2015 Navara 4x4 LE auto
    Camil Suspension, Long range tank, Snorkel

    2004 Nissan Hardbody ZD30 4x4
    Camil suspension, Long range tank, Snorkel

  15. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ellisras
    Age
    57
    Posts
    893
    Thanked: 556

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    Well

    I have 2 Patrols, totaling almost 1 Million kms..

    If I had the bucks I would by the Y62 in a flash.
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 848 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 105 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +50 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 120 000 km

  16. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    64
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    I once found out by accident that I had driven the same 900 km round trip on the same weekend as a guy with a 5.something V8 petrol Grand Cherokee when I had the 3 litre diesel. He had used almost exactly twice the amount of fuel I had. When I questioned him on it his only response was, "But the noise, the noise!" I suggested he get a CD of V8 noises and play it in a diesel Grand Cherokee and save a heap on fuel...

    Diesel is often cheaper than petrol here as well...

    Cheers
    Numb Thumbs
    Australian member
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
    VistaRV Crossover XL campertrailer

  17. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,295
    Thanked: 2773

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    Quote Originally Posted by Numb Thumbs View Post
    People I know here who have driven both say the Nissan is not too bad - but worse than a 3 litre diesel - if driven gently. Hook up a trailer of 1.5 tonne or more and that changes dramatically. Tow around the limit of 3.5 tonne, drive at the speed limit and you can see the fuel gauge move on the Nissan. Drive hard and the fuel consumption rockets. Numbers in the high 20's and low 30's (l/100kms) are common.The worst I ever managed on the Jeep was 14.2 litres/100 km, towing 2 tonne into a 50 km/h headwind. The Disco, so far and I only have 5000 kms on it, towing 2 tonne at 110 km/h into a 35 km/h head wind was 14.6 l/100km. I doubt the Nissan could manage that towing a box trailer.CheersNumb Thumbs
    I suggest you go and verify those statements, as made by those people, as the truth, will surprise you.A lot of people have their mind made up about the consumption of the Y62, but have never seen or experienced the facts.
    _______________________________________
    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

  18. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Langs die rivier, op n berg
    Posts
    13,811
    Thanked: 2970

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    Ek weet van baie mense wat die nuwe v8 patrol besit. Brandstof verbyuik is dramaties beter as die 4.8

    Ek hoor gereeld dat dit wissel tussen 11 en 16 liter/100km. Hang af of jy sleep of nie.

    Ek hoor eek dat dit ligter is as n v8 d4d.

    Maar ai, Nissan Sa. Hulle maak dit basies onmoontlik om weer n nissan te koop.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

  19. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    58
    Posts
    9,305
    Thanked: 2837

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    The question remains what will the new 300 Series be.? The 200 is dated by now. The Y62 should be compared to the new 300 when released.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  20. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    64
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    Here is a quote from an Australian review - RV Daily:

    On an easy 100km/h highway cruise one-up (and with no caravan attached), the Patrol averaged 11.2L/100km. With most of the week spent in town stop-start traffic though, the average climbed to 24L/100km. Outer urban driving, in 70km/h and 80km/h zones, saw an average of 16.5L/100km.

    The Patrol averaged 21.3L/100km towing the Nova (2.5 tonne) on our test loop, a mix of 100km/h freeway driving, up our test hill and some stop-start urban driving. With some more climbing up the mountains and stop-start work for photography, the fuel figure rose to 25.6L/100km. If youre gentle with it, the economy is clearly not bad, but if you have to heave the combination up to speed regularly or are towing in hilly terrain, well, the Patrol is naturally going to get thirsty.

    And from CarSales:

    If you dont work the engine hard fuel consumption is not too bad either. We averaged 11.6L/100km during easy 110km/h cruising (without a trailer). However a lot of around-town stop-start work puts a big dent in consumption figures: in such conditions, consumption rose to 24.2L/100km.

    Cheers
    Numb Thumbs


    Australian member
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
    VistaRV Crossover XL campertrailer

  21. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    58
    Posts
    9,305
    Thanked: 2837

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Grips & Metalmachine, what you and many others are saying about Nissan SA is quite sad. It was also one of the factors that made me decide against becoming a Nissan customer 3 years ago.

    If one would buy an out of warranty Patrol, aren't there any decent workshops out there that aren't dealer workshops, but still know their way around Nissan? Wouldn't that spare one the frustration of dealing with Nissan?
    I think the guys owning Patrols in SA are sorted. When I had to make a choice between a Patrol and a Cruiser cross border trips were on my mind.

    My last G60 pickup a 1976 model which I loved to bits and sold in 99. Think the production stopped in SA in the early 80 when the Safari came out. By the end of the 80's it were impossible to get most of the spares on the P engine from Nissan.
    You can still buy FJ45 spares from Toyota till this day.

    I am afraid the same will happen to the Y61.
    Again a pity as I think Nissan let down one of its best ever products.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:


  23. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,399
    Thanked: 327

    Default Re: Why dont more people buy the Y62 Patrol..

    Quote Originally Posted by Numb Thumbs View Post
    Here is a quote from an Australian review - RV Daily:

    On an easy 100km/h highway cruise one-up (and with no caravan attached), the Patrol averaged 11.2L/100km. With most of the week spent in town stop-start traffic though, the average climbed to 24L/100km. Outer urban driving, in 70km/h and 80km/h zones, saw an average of 16.5L/100km.

    The Patrol averaged 21.3L/100km towing the Nova (2.5 tonne) on our test loop, a mix of 100km/h freeway driving, up our test hill and some stop-start urban driving. With some more climbing up the mountains and stop-start work for photography, the fuel figure rose to 25.6L/100km. If youre gentle with it, the economy is clearly not bad, but if you have to heave the combination up to speed regularly or are towing in hilly terrain, well, the Patrol is naturally going to get thirsty.

    And from CarSales:

    If you dont work the engine hard fuel consumption is not too bad either. We averaged 11.6L/100km during easy 110km/h cruising (without a trailer). However a lot of around-town stop-start work puts a big dent in consumption figures: in such conditions, consumption rose to 24.2L/100km.

    Cheers
    Numb Thumbs


    Have you checked the video Hedgehog posted?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •