Latest on Carnet vs TIP for Kenya

Default Latest on Carnet vs TIP for Kenya

Hi there,

I have a thread in the Rwanda forum with a load of other questions, but it seems the carnet vs TIP in Kenya is a really big one.

We were planning on going from Malawi to Tanzania, to Rwanda, to Uganda, to Kenya, and back down. I have read mixed reports on needing a carnet. It seems a TIP will suffice for all of the trip except the big unknown of Kenya.

I am traveling in a week, so getting a carnet in time may not even be an option. Although I am considering paying for it, and getting my family to courier it to our camp in Malawi. We are only planning on crossing into Tanzania in approximately 3 weeks time.

Any recent experience or knowledge much appreciated!

Regards,

Tim Hulme

Default Re: Latest on Carnet vs TIP for Kenya

Please see this thread.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ehicle-Permits

In my experience, a Carnet saves a lot of time and hassle at border crossings.

Ok thank you, I did read through that, but still a lot of unknowns and itís pretty out of date by now. I might have to scrap Kenya from our itinerary unfortunately, as I donít think Iíll be able to get my carnet in time. I am calling the AA first thing this morning though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hulme View Post
    Ok thank you, I did read through that, but still a lot of unknowns and it¬’s pretty out of date by now. I might have to scrap Kenya from our itinerary unfortunately, as I don¬’t think I¬’ll be able to get my carnet in time. I am calling the AA first thing this morning though.
    Those are still the regulations for entering Kenya with a foreign registered vehicle. But don’t let this put you off going to Kenya. You will be allowed into Kenya. If in doubt, contact Chris of a Jungle Junction in Nairobi and he will tell you how to extend the foreign vehicle permit.

Good luck!

PS I read your other post in the East Africa section. Don’t be nervous - it is possible to drive from the Cape to Cairo on tar road and you could do the same to Rwanda. However, the roads less travelled are more interesting in every way. Do remember that the Indian Ocean Dipole hit East Africa rather hard from October 2019 and it is still raining in some places. And when you return from your trip to London, the “long rains” will have arrived in Kenya and northern Tanzania in March/April/May.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2020/02/12 at 11:11 AM.

From various other reports and sources, it appears that Kenya is now more rigorously enforcing their requirement that foreign vehicles can only enter with a Carnet. In the last few weeks, some have indeed managed to bribe their way through Kenyan border posts and have managed to "buy" a TIP for a number of hundred US$.

Obviously, one is at risk if caught with a TIP instead of the required Carnet and it might cost you ever-increasing numbers of US$ to avoid legal repercussions.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

ďGreat journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you campedĒ.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

This is from the Kenya Revenue Authority website. It would be best if Tim travelled with a Carnet de Passage.

Motor Vehicle Notices & Regulations:

If you wish to import a car into Kenya temporarily, here are some of the requirements.

For Kenyan Citizens:
    Prior to gaining entry approval, the foreign operator from the East African Community (EAC) or Common Market for East and Southern Africa (COMESA) Countries must have a valid Temporary Importation of Road Vehicles Form (Form C32) which is issued at the Border Station.
    To obtain a Form C32, an individual MUST:

1. Be a foreigner with foreign identification
    2. Have a valid work permit or proof of residency, if Kenyan.
    3. Have the foreign Motor Vehicle Registration Book in his/her name.
    4. Have a valid Power of Attorney or authorization to operate the vehicle from the Motor Vehicle Owner, in case the operator is an agent of the owner.
    5. For diplomats, one must prove that they have on going diplomatic status. In addition, must proof that they work in a diplomatic capacity e.g. Valid Diplomatic identification.

Individuals without these documents from the EAC and COMESA countries will not be issued with a Form C32 or be allowed to locally operate a foreign registered motor vehicle and any such vehicle operated without the above will be impounded.

For Non Ė Kenyans:
    Prior to gaining entry approval, a foreign operator from Countries outside the EAC or COMESA Countries must have a valid International Circulation Permit from Country of Origin (Carnet de Passage en Douane) or Pass Sheet issued from their Country of Origin. This Carnet de Passages en Douane must be valid for use in Kenya
    In addition to this, he/she MUST provide:

1. Foreign identification
    2. Proof of residency in the foreign country, if Kenyan.
    3. Have the foreign Motor Vehicle Registration Book in his/her name.
    4. Have a valid Power of Attorney or authorization to operate the vehicle from the Motor Vehicle Owner, in case the operator is an agent of the owner.

Individuals without these documents will not be allowed entry in to or to locally operate a foreign registered motor vehicle and any such vehicle operated without the above will be impounded.

In addition to having a Form C32 or an International Circulation Permit from Country of Origin (Carnet de Passage en Douane), an operator of a Foreign motor vehicle must apply for a Foreign Motor Vehicle Permit.
    To make an application for a foreign permit, an individual will require:

1. A valid Form C32 or an endorsed valid International Circulation Permit from Country of Origin (Carnet de Passage en Douane)
    2. Certificate of COMESA Insurance
    3. An online account on eCitizen which will be used to make the application.

The initial application for the Foreign Permit will be done upon entry into the country and will be issued based on the following categories:-

1. A paid up foreign permit, valid for a month, will be issued to vehicles on tour in Kenya with an International Circulation Permit from Country of Origin (Carnet de passage en douane).
    2. A free fourteen-day temporary permit will be issued at entry points to only vehicles with a Form C32 entering Kenya.

No vehicle will be allowed out of a Customs Border Station without the owner being in possession of either a Form C32 or Carnet de Passage and a Foreign Permit.
    On expiry of fourteen days or granted period, the applicant, may seek an extension of their Form C32 and Foreign Permit from the Customs and Border Control Department, Enforcement Division Regional Offices. Extension of the Form C32 and Foreign Permits SHALL not be allowed unless the Customs Officer physically verifies the vehicle and is satisfied that a justified reason for the extension has been given.
    All operators of foreign vehicles whose vehicles do not meet the above requirements MUST re-export their vehicles with immediate effect and any contraventions will lead to enforcement actions including impounding of the said vehicles.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

As ever, thank you WW, Tony and Stan!

Ok I spoke to the AA and they seem to be able get me a Carnet in time, and worst case my father can courier it to one of our stops along the journey. I fall into the 10% of vehicle value bracket which stings, but I guess it at least guarantees I won't be flat broke when I get home! haha

I will post an update on the turn around time for the carnet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    Those are still the regulations for entering Kenya with a foreign registered vehicle. But donít let this put you off going to Kenya. You will be allowed into Kenya. If in doubt, contact Chris of a Jungle Junction in Nairobi and he will tell you how to extend the foreign vehicle permit.

Good luck!

PS I read your other post in the East Africa section. Donít be nervous - it is possible to drive from the Cape to Cairo on tar road and you could do the same to Rwanda. However, the roads less travelled are more interesting in every way. Do remember that the Indian Ocean Dipole hit East Africa rather hard from October 2019 and it is still raining in some places. And when you return from your trip to London, the ďlong rainsĒ will have arrived in Kenya and northern Tanzania in March/April/May.
    Thanks again WW. Have the rains been bad enough that you would consider keeping to the SADC? Otherwise I am just trying to allow for enough flexibility that we can call ahead, see what the conditions are like, and then make our final decisions on route. Its a dream to do this trip, and the way things have worked out means I haven't had a huge amount of control of when to do it. I was hoping that it had been long enough since the heaviest rains.

Thanks again WW. Have the rains been bad enough that you would consider keeping to the SADC? Otherwise I am just trying to allow for enough flexibility that we can call ahead, see what the conditions are like, and then make our final decisions on route. Its a dream to do this trip, and the way things have worked out means I haven't had a huge amount of control of when to do it. I was hoping that it had been long enough since the heaviest rains.
    Being Kenyan born and bred, I would always advocate a trip to East Africa and not stay in the SADC countries! They are on your borders and effectively your backyard.

It is perfectly possible to drive from Cape Town to Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania and Kenya on tar roads (of varying quality, of course). But I presume that is not what you want to do, so I was just giving you warning that the dirt roads are likely to have been ploughed up during the phenomenal rain of October 2019 to date. However, the Chinese are all over the continent building roads (again, of varying quality).

I also wanted to warn you about the long rains in East Africa from March to June. Although places like the Maasai Mara in Kenya and the Serengeti in Tanzania are, of course, open during the rains, camping and getting around during the rainy season is more of a challenge with the black cotton soil. In Zambia they market the rains as the “emerald season”...

With a month to get from Mozambique to Rwanda, you might be constrained to keeping on the fastest roads and side trips to national parks etc might be short and sweet. Again, the roads into and within some national parks and reserves might be a little tricky as some bridges may have been washed away (see a thread on the Ruaha NP in Tanzania where the main access bridge has been washed away).

There are many people who have done such a trip as you are planning - it is not difficult with some prior planning. What is important is to plan much shorter distances per day than you would in Europe or South Africa. Those distances are dictated by where you are going to camp/stay. Driving at night is a complete NO NO.

That is excellent news about the Carnet.

Safari njema!
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2020/02/13 at 11:14 AM.

Tim, referring to the Carnet deposit. With a little persuasion my bank (Standard) provided a bank guarantee for the full deposit amount to the AA. This was great as no money was transferred and there was no loss of interest earned and no waiting period afterwards to reclaim any deposit.

Without doubt passing through multiple borders with a Carnet, is faster and easier. Just ensure you understand what needs to be filled in where by the customs officials, quite simple but they are known to mess it up. Also check all immigration and customs dates and stamps before leaving any borderpost. Again mistakes by the officials can lead to fines later.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

ďGreat journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you campedĒ.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Ok I spoke to the AA and they seem to be able get me a Carnet in time ... I fall into the 10% of vehicle value bracket which stings, but I guess it at least guarantees I won't be flat broke when I get home! haha

I will post an update on the turn around time for the carnet.
    Well, that sounds incredibly cheap to me!

When we drove our (then) UK-registered Land Rover from the UK to South Africa, our Carnet was based on 8 times the value of the vehicle because we drove through Egypt. That equated to £80,000.... Luckily, the British carnet provider had a system in place which involved taking out indemnity insurance. The end result was we paid £8,000 up front and when that Carnet was discharged we got back £4,000. Expensive, but worth every penny (it is not possible to get through Egypt or the Sudan without a Carnet).

Please, please post an update on the Carnet issue and, more importantly, please post updates and/or a trip report and/or a link to a blog. It is incredibly exasperating for those of us who reply to queries on this forum if those asking questions are never heard from again.

Safari njema!
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2020/02/14 at 01:10 AM.

Yeah the Egypt Carnet scuppered any hopes I had of pushing the whole way through!

i will definitely keep you updated on the trip! But also check out @timhulmephoto on insta/fb/twitter Iíll be posting loads of content. Iím a film maker and photographer by trade.