Discovery 3 D3 V8 Fuel Consumption

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default D3 V8 Fuel Consumption

Hi all.

I'm sure this is a topic canvassed on here many times, but I bought a 2008 D3 V8 around November last year and now that the honeymoon period is wearing off a little, it's drinking habit has got me wondering if it's normal or fairly shared across the board.

I'm presently getting an indicated 16.2l/100km on the car computer but my rough calculations put the actual figure well in the 20sl/100km. It's roughly around 24l/100 around town and I struggled to break 500km on a tank on the holiday trip down to the Eastern Cape and back...

How does every else get on? Is my car abnormal or am I going to have to start walking to work? Are there any successful modes out there for improving consumption?
    Thanks
    Vehicles:
    1994 Defender 110 300tdi
    1996 Discovery Series 1 V8i

Default Re: D3 V8 Fuel Consumption

It's normal... you get used to filling up all the time

Thatís (slightly) worse thanwhat I get in my D2 V8, Iíd have thought the D3 would be (slightly) more fuel efficient ?
    04 Discovery II V8 Auto - The Duchess

My P38 varies between 14-16l/ 100 km. It drinks like a fish in town, will easily get to 20l /100
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

Dave, I dont want to be rude but you consciously bought a V8, what were your expectations?
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

You should get about 7km/l
    If you donít have a roofrack

How is your driving? I was told that I would do around 18l/100km in my ford 4ltr v6, but normal driving around midrand was around 12.5l/100km and my worst ever was 15.6 caning it back from umhlanga, full of luggage and towing a 17ft boat. I think driving style can have a huge impact on your consumption. At least you are not looking at a 100k + rebuild.

My D3 V8 used around 23l/100km,but I did have 33" tyres,roofrack and a aftermarket bumper on it.
    No matter ho I drove it I got the same.Changed vehicle and now get 14l/100km,I think it's light on petrol but other people are still horrified.
    Big engine=more fuel.....
    A legend in his own mind

Its not a D3, but my Fattie is on 500km to approx 98 litres, tops, but most of that is town driving, I might see the lighter side of 600K's if I drive gently on the open road...

I make a point of only showing distance to refill on the odo trip computer, and fill when the alarm bells start whining.. I do not bother with viewing consumption, 'cause nothings going to change that anyway...

It's a Landrover, its a V8, try stretch your honeymoon period, or get a divorce and walk away because she will suck you dry if you give her half a chance.....

However, if you want to feel better, my Jeep runs 3km to the litre, maybe 4 on the open road, but probably not, so you do get worse..
    Last edited by Marcochezzi; 2020/02/12 at 07:56 AM.
    Every dog has its day, and those with broken tails have their weak-ends...

1976 CJ-7, 400CI + Holley EFI, Tera-Low 3,15:1 twin stick, ARB's front & rear, oil leaks & plenty more....

All my other petrol burners are boring....

If you go down to 100km/h on the open road you might see 12-13l/100km but in town you will be lucky to get 25l/100km
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

I just collated my data - mileage is now just under 270,000km

I used 6689.9l for the last 41,899km, giving me 6.26km/l = 15.97l/100km

This is in hilly KZN terrain, and short trips, sticking mostly to speed limit. Lots of overtaking, and it feels like each overtaking maneuver costs a litre

On longer trips I often get 7.5km/l (13.3l/100km), sometimes better.

When in a hurry, consumption increases quite a lot.

I also compared the computer consumption estimates to actual, and they are generally within 4% accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Dave, I dont want to be rude but you consciously bought a V8, what were your expectations?
    No, I mean granted I did buy a 4.4l V8 in a 2.5t car with permanent 4WD... But I had been told to expect to be getting around 16 - 18 l/100km around town before buying it. But it does look like those figures are only achievable on the open road. Just didn't quite expect to be sitting over 24l/100km around town. Does seem like my figures aren't that unusual though.
    Vehicles:
    1994 Defender 110 300tdi

Quote Originally Posted by DaveLikesToDisco View Post
    No, I mean granted I did buy a 4.4l V8 in a 2.5t car with permanent 4WD... But I had been told to expect to be getting around 16 - 18 l/100km around town before buying it. But it does look like those figures are only achievable on the open road. Just didn't quite expect to be sitting over 24l/100km around town. Does seem like my figures aren't that unusual though.
    Who told you those figures, the sales person?

Oh, yes it is a V8, 2.5 tons, permanent 4WD and shaped like a brick

My LR V8s, I wasnt keen to do JHB to Umhlanga on a tank and would top up in between as it would be a scrape. My current 5.3lt V8 gets @ 636 from an 83 lt tank open road but I sit between 100 and 110 otherwise it gets exponentially thirstier. West Rand to East Rand = a Quarter of a tank round trip, thats about a 120km there and back in traffic.

If you want to run in the V8 club, forget the consumption calculation like a lot of us do an fagga petrol when you need to.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Who told you those figures, the sales person?

Oh, yes it is a V8, 2.5 tons, permanent 4WD and shaped like a brick

My LR V8s, I wasnt keen to do JHB to Umhlanga on a tank and would top up in between as it would be a scrape. My current 5.3lt V8 gets @ 636 from an 83 lt tank open road but I sit between 100 and 110 otherwise it gets exponentially thirstier. West Rand to East Rand = a Quarter of a tank round trip, thats about a 120km there and back in traffic.

If you want to run in the V8 club, forget the consumption calculation like a lot of us do an fagga petrol when you need to.

Too true. It doesn't help that when I run my D1 V8 around it's always as a bit of fun or if other cars are "failing to proceed" so consumption on it has long been banished to the back of my mind and it's easy to forget the thirst of a V8... It's only now that the daily is a D3 V8 that I'm actively thinking about and noticing consumption enough to get worried by it... I'm looking at sending the D3 to Solihull for "de-corking", software tune and decat. It's a bit pricey, but have heard it helps a little with consumption, if you can resist the temptation to bury it with the decat. Anyone got any other tuning recommendations aside form Solihull?
    Vehicles:
    1994 Defender 110 300tdi

The best mod I found for my D3 V8 was to move the seat back further from the loud peddle

Even with the temperamental bleep here and there I just love it - and when you need to steek it a little - well you can do that way too comfortably and before you know it youíre in kakstraat with the

Remember fuel is a budget number - all these other breakdowns from the smokies just ruin your fun.
    Jack

2005 Discovery 3 V8 HSE - 🤩
    2004 Discovery 2 TD5 GS - sold
    1996 Discovery 1 5.7lt Chevrolet 🤤 - sold
    1994 Defender 110 Hardtop 3.9 Auto Conversion - sold 🤑

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    I just collated my data - mileage is now just under 270,000km

I used 6689.9l for the last 41,899km, giving me 6.26km/l = 15.97l/100km

This is in hilly KZN terrain, and short trips, sticking mostly to speed limit. Lots of overtaking, and it feels like each overtaking maneuver costs a litre

On longer trips I often get 7.5km/l (13.3l/100km), sometimes better.

When in a hurry, consumption increases quite a lot.

I also compared the computer consumption estimates to actual, and they are generally within 4% accuracy.
    More or less the same on mine , I live in Hekpoort so no real urban driving , more dirt road and a mountain pass if I go into town . 6.1 km per lt average long term . Best if done 8,3 km per lt going down to margate 5 up plus trailer , not near the same coming back .
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DaveLikesToDisco View Post
    How does it pull , maybe time for a deca
    Using Tapatalk

I think you okes all have lead driving boots or something. When I still had my D3 V8 I would have been horrified to get that kind of mileage.

I did happily between 14 and 14.5 L/100 on the open road, cruise control on between 110 and 120. Would get into the 18s in town, but I drove it like an old man in town, because I knew what would happen otherwise. I did also find driving in manual or sport mode helped in town.

the issue for me on the V8 was the consumption off road, which seriously limits your trip planning when going into the kalahari etc. just canít beat a turbo diesel when it comes to off road work.

i would seriously have that looked at, cats removed, if not already done, and make sure all pipes etc in order, no vacuum leaks and all that Jazz.

im getting an avg 15,87l/100kms mixture of highway and town,
    check your air filter and plugs/leads

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    How does it pull , maybe time for a deca
    It pulls well, hasn't given me reason to think it's down on power. Had the OBD reader on the other day and it reported no vacuum issues or anything of the sort... Only weird reading I got was that it said throttle was at 14% while idling in Park. Rpm was normal for idle too so seemed a bit high but could just be the OBD reader I was using
    Vehicles:
    1994 Defender 110 300tdi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast