Looking for Loadshedding Solution - 5 hours - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Looking for Loadshedding Solution - 5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by global traveller View Post
    Hello everyone,

We are being load shedded 3 - 4 x a week. This is killing productivity in our office as the staff literally pack up and disappear........

I am looking for a solution to power:

• A few LED lights - we could buy these separately (Rechargeable ones)
    • Microsoft Server that runs our Pastel
    • Switchboard phone set
    • Internet Fibre Modem
    • Apple Mac PC

The staff work on laptops and they have sufficient battery capacity to run for the 4 - 5 hours.

Please could you recommend some product and/or company that could assist me with this solution.

Many thanks
    Ryan
    076 570 1479
    Short answer : UPS

Longer answer to find the correct UPS: Add up the wattage you will be using for all devices x the nr of hours = kwh (kva is the same thing)
    Each device has a power use sticker on the back of it.
    Working example:
    I wish to run 9 off 10W LEDS for 5 hours:

9x 10W x 5 = 450va
    Solution: Purchase:
    https://www.takealot.com/eaton-5e-up...v/PLID47486924

The rest of the answers seem to come from Eskom trying to make the simplest improvement to your life seem like the world's hardest challenge.
    - Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2014 (Cooper Discover P285/70/17 // Mickey Thompson Sidewinder II's // Teraflex 2" levelling kit // Renegade front/rear steel bumpers)
    - (SOLD 2017/03) Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 XLE 4x2 Manual 2005 (Falken Landair 31/10.5/15)

Quote Originally Posted by xdoomx View Post
    Add up the wattage you will be using for all devices x the nr of hours = kwh (kva is the same thing):
    kWh can never be the same as kVA which is a value measured at a instant in time.
    kVA is the value to use to get the size of inverter/UPS while adding the hour will be the size required for the specific period it is required=battery bank size.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/02/17 at 06:20 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Found this table on line:

https://cub3.co.za/inverter-bbone-2400va.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Even Mecer get it wrong. The figures in blue should read 100Ah @ 24V unless I miss something.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerlach View Post
    Hoekom spandeer jy nie die paar rand extra nie, en kry n nice inverter en n Lifepo4 unit of 2 nie en as jy die opsie het om solar te kan gaan dan n mppt en pannels nie, dan verminder jy jou krag rekening ook deur die dag terwyl die krag aan is en jy het heeltyd backup dan. Victron se 3kw Multiplus kan werk vir dit. Die leeftyd wat die Lifepo4 battery jou gaan hou teen oor 105 batterye gaan baie beter wees.
    Ek stem saam!!
    2011 Hilux 3.0 D4D with plenty of accessories
    2012 Conqueror Companion

Quote Originally Posted by global traveller View Post
    Hello everyone,

We are being load shedded 3 - 4 x a week. This is killing productivity in our office as the staff literally pack up and disappear........
    Our office setup. Two circuits, the UPS circuit for lights and computers, the other circuit is printer, coffee machine, toaster, fridge, aircons.

We are running:
    9 computers running, each with two 22-24" monitors.
    17" Macbook Pro with External 24" Monitor
    15" HP Laptop with external 22" monitor
    Samsung PABX system
    4 MicroServers in the cabinet
    Mirkrotik rackmount router, 32port switch, LTE modem, 2x DSL modems, radio system for music
    2 Extractor Fans

All of this works out to about 1.3kw.

We have a 5kv Mecer Hybrid Inverter with 8x Probe batteries, here is a thread with more detailed info (Post 1, Post 38)
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-World-Figures

Our setup gives us 4 hours easily, and will probably last for 6. We do however switch off all the lights we don't need for those long sessions, for anything under 3 hours, other than not being able to print or make coffee our productivity is completely unaffected.

My total installation cost was R36000, done on a rental agreement over 24 months. One year down already. Batteries still perform as well as day 1, but we do not run the system to optimise battery life, we run it to optimise work so I am fully aware that we might only get 5 years (or less maybe) out of the batteries but that is a very small price to pay.

(No comments needed on the beautiful installation! )
    Last edited by Dirk; 2020/02/17 at 09:47 PM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    ... We have a 5kv Mecer Hybrid Inverter with 8x Probe batteries...
    I like this setup.

Is that the Deep Cycle or Multipurpose battery from Probe? http://www.probebattery.co.za/Batter.../Battery-Range
    Kobus

Nissan

Xtreme Deep Cycle 105ah

Xtreme Deep Cycle 105ah
    You don't have to worry about life time of your batteries. If your inverter/ups keeps your batteries charged to 13.6 - 13.7 Volt, after the load shedding recharging of your batteries, your batteries will last for 8 to 10 years. Mine are nu 9 years old. Bert

Quote Originally Posted by xdoomx View Post
    Short answer : UPS

Longer answer to find the correct UPS: Add up the wattage you will be using for all devices x the nr of hours = kwh (kva is the same thing)
    Each device has a power use sticker on the back of it.
    Working example:
    I wish to run 9 off 10W LEDS for 5 hours:

9x 10W x 5 = 450va
    Solution: Purchase:
    https://www.takealot.com/eaton-5e-up...v/PLID47486924

The rest of the answers seem to come from Eskom trying to make the simplest improvement to your life seem like the world's hardest challenge.
    I would be utmost careful in recommending people the takelot ups for 850 VA, the truth is 850 VA for a few minutes. I have here one again for repair, which has the transformer (40 to 60 VA transformer only !!!) claiming to do 850 VA, yes, for 5 minutes at the most. Those type of UPS's are misleading and only to be used to save your work and shut down the system. Not for continuous usage.

UPS: the true UPS has a charger which charge the batteries and then the batteries convert the battery power into 230 Volt again. No interruption.

INVERTER/UPS has relays and the relays route the system from mains to output and when there is a load shedding, the relays will switch over to inverter conversion battery to mains. Interruption : 10 milli Second. good enough for not having your work lost.

Larger professional Inverter/UPS has a contacter, which can handle high power/current

Quote Originally Posted by BertKu View Post
    You don't have to worry about life time of your batteries. If your inverter/ups keeps your batteries charged to 13.6 - 13.7 Volt, after the load shedding recharging of your batteries, your batteries will last for 8 to 10 years. Mine are nu 9 years old. Bert
    Thanks that is good news.

Yes it is charged up after, takes about 2-3 hours to reach full capacity.

We are extremely happy with this solution, loadshedding is now something of the past, most of the time we do not even know when when the power goes off, and we only know it is back on again as all the aircons beep and the big printer powers up, definitely the best way to have spent R36k.

We have recovered countless hours, have not started our generator in over a year now!

Thanks that ——————-definitely the best way to have spent R36k.

We have recovered countless hours, have not started our generator in over a year now!
    Now here is the thing. People hum and har and battle to justify the cost of a decent system.

But I have never met one that regrets it.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

What did you pay for each of the 105ah deep cycle Probe batteries?

Anyone have experience with the company NexSolar https://www.nexsolar.co.za/ and their 5kW Solar with 5kW Inverter and 10kWh Lithium Ion Battery solution, for about R121k? I'm particularly interested in understanding the specs and warranty on their Lithium Ion batteries (I've requested this info directly from them as well...)

Our office setup. Two circuits, the UPS circuit for lights and computers, the other circuit is printer, coffee machine, toaster, fridge, aircons.

We are running:
    9 computers running, each with two 22-24" monitors.
    17" Macbook Pro with External 24" Monitor
    15" HP Laptop with external 22" monitor
    Samsung PABX system
    4 MicroServers in the cabinet
    Mirkrotik rackmount router, 32port switch, LTE modem, 2x DSL modems, radio system for music
    2 Extractor Fans

All of this works out to about 1.3kw.

We have a 5kv Mecer Hybrid Inverter with 8x Probe batteries, here is a thread with more detailed info (Post 1, Post 38)
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-World-Figures

Our setup gives us 4 hours easily, and will probably last for 6. We do however switch off all the lights we don't need for those long sessions, for anything under 3 hours, other than not being able to print or make coffee our productivity is completely unaffected.

My total installation cost was R36000, done on a rental agreement over 24 months. One year down already. Batteries still perform as well as day 1, but we do not run the system to optimise battery life, we run it to optimise work so I am fully aware that we might only get 5 years (or less maybe) out of the batteries but that is a very small price to pay.

(No comments needed on the beautiful installation! )

[QUOTE=Bard;4329049]What did you pay for each of the 105ah deep cycle Probe batteries?

R1995 ex VAT each, but it was December 2018.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Hier is n mooi voorbeeld van n setup wat local gedoen was: https://powerforum.co.za/topic/4930-...erver-network/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e99b8ca1-8f3d-40c7-91f9-b04aecee2e38.thumb.jpeg.ad9838653f025e68763092779c2f5d28.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	558710

Name:	55b1d0f0-2077-4d05-a0e4-a38bbd2535f4.thumb.jpeg.9d30bb159abe552f673f950d965282ba.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	558711

Name:	7b5f9f8f-4975-483e-b85c-0505e3f42207.thumb.jpeg.7b9c00dbc68aacc2fea9e622a995552d.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	558712

Quote Originally Posted by Gerlach View Post
    Hier is n mooi voorbeeld van n setup wat local gedoen was: https://powerforum.co.za/topic/4930-...erver-network/
    Yes, very well thought out.

Having had to upgrade from 3kva to 5kva due to temp derating ... I am now loathed to have a inverter in any closed space, no matter how much airflow there could be.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Start at basics: a calc I did for a friend. Inverter, Charger and 105 Ahr battery. KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!

Hope I get the calc attached: very challenging with this platform (Kop te plat??)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to StephenT For This Useful Post:

Here is my setup installed 25/1/2008 when the 4 hour Black-out circus started. Prior to this installation I connected a lose inverter from bakkie battery to TV every blackout to keep the Mafia smiling.

Hope it is attached as the program does not depict any attachments on my screen.

Go well

25. The Following User Says Thank You to StephenT For This Useful Post:

Keeping it simple!

Given 4 hours load shedding - installing 2? 105AH batteries - (not to go below 50% if possible) allowing sufficient re-charge time to 100% again what set up would you recommend? Load is the usual TV, PC (500W) modem and a light or two.

What safety measures would you install fuses etc? This is important!

The above to be on a trolley so its portable.

Would prefer deep cell's so that they can be re-used if necessary for camping.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2020/02/22 at 01:17 PM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast