Squeaking brakes after pad replacement

Default Squeaking brakes after pad replacement

Hi guys,

I changed the front and back pads on my honda crv last week, but now I have the most irritating squeak which seems to be coming from the front pads (i tried slowing down with the handbrake and no squeak). The squeak only happens at very very low speeds, actually, just before I come to a stop, so in stop start traffic its driving me mad. Higher speed braking is perfect.

Im thinking its something to do with backing plates and lubrication on the back of the pad? The pads I removed were original honda pads, the inner pads had little backing plates on them, but the outer pads had no plates, but this weird silicon type stuff on the back of them, both pads and pistons also had a healthy amount of some kind of grease, something like copper slip on them.

Can you guys recommend what product I need to use to put on the back of these pads?
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Default Re: Squeaking brakes after pad replacement

I had the same after my last service when they replaced the pads.

A year later it was still squeaking.
    At my next service I was told that the disks needed skimming. R1000 later.

Three days later it started squeaking again.

Exclamation Re: Squeaking brakes after pad replacement

Hi, could be lotsa things!
    But seriously: Coppaslip is a cure all for squeaky pads, but it does need to be judiciously applied. Clean the area where the pad is going to fit, coppaslip the back, and edges where they contact the caliper and refit. Check for a ridge on your disc, as sometimes a ridge forms on the outer edge due to pad wear, and when new pads are fitted, they basically rock on this until they wear down to suit the disc profile.
    However, if you took it to the stealers, take it back and tell them to fix it!
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Markb View Post
    Hi, could be lotsa things!
    But seriously: Coppaslip is a cure all for squeaky pads, but it does need to be judiciously applied. Clean the area where the pad is going to fit, coppaslip the back, and edges where they contact the caliper and refit. Check for a ridge on your disc, as sometimes a ridge forms on the outer edge due to pad wear, and when new pads are fitted, they basically rock on this until they wear down to suit the disc profile.
    However, if you took it to the stealers, take it back and tell them to fix it!
    Thanks Mark, ok, so coppaslip is ok to use. Thanks! I'll do that on the weekend then.

I dont think the discs are the problem, they looked pretty good to me.

I did the replacement myself, 1hr 20mins to do all four wheels as well as keep hydrated with many beers. not too bad I reckon!
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

I had the same on the wife's RAV4. Applied copper grease on all areas where it makes contact.

Got them quiet after the second strip down when I applied some between the backing plate and pad.

Last edited by KobusDJ; 2020/02/11 at 02:14 PM.
    Kobus

Nissan

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Thanks Mark, ok, so coppaslip is ok to use. Thanks! I'll do that on the weekend then.

I dont think the discs are the problem, they looked pretty good to me.

I did the replacement myself, 1hr 20mins to do all four wheels as well as keep hydrated with many beers. not too bad I reckon!
    Please note, Mark is meaning that you apply copper slip to the back of the pad and not on the surface that makes contact with the disc
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

you got there before me, one side only..

my beach buggy and my first Isuzu bakkie coppaslip fixed them, no other vehicle I have had has needed it?
    Last edited by K-9; 2020/02/12 at 10:26 AM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    SOLD 2020 Jan.
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

What brand of brake pad did you fit?A few years ago at a service the dealership tells me I need to replace brake shoes on my Isuzu. So I go to Midas and get ATE pads for the front as well as ATE shoes for the back. Fit them and the next day the squealing starts. Wash the front wheels and they stop squealing for a day or two. The same with the rears, remove the wheel and drum, clean, replace and then silent only for a few days. Eventually I couldn't take it anymore and went to the stealers only to find out pads and shoes are cheaper from them (they kill you with labour costs). So I fit the new parts (note, without copperslip) from GM and never had a squealing brake since then.Maybe not your issue, but something to consider should the problem not go away.
    2008 KB300 D-TEQ 4x2

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Please note, Mark is meaning that you apply copper slip to the back of the pad and not on the surface that makes contact with the disc
    I sprayed the disc and pad with q20, and then put some bearing grease on the disc, that should get rid of the squeak, q20 always works a charm on squeaky hinges etc.

But thanks guys, I'll definitely do the copper slip thing, I really hope it works. If not, there will be a honda CRV posted in the give away before I toss it thread
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Make of replacement pads have a big influence on this. Some are just inferior. Make sure it is actually from the front. Handbrake test would typically not prove anything, as the handbrake does not usually use the brake disc, but rather a drum brake in the rear hub (depends on the car). Just let someone walk next to the vehicle in your driveway and slowly replicate the scenario, let them listen to each wheel.

Apart from the copper slip, also recommend you bevel the leading edge of the pads with a file, about 45 deg will do.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper
    2010 Bombardier Electrostar 746 kw - Gautrain (Daily Commute)

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Make of replacement pads have a big influence on this. Some are just inferior. Make sure it is actually from the front. Handbrake test would typically not prove anything, as the handbrake does not usually use the brake disc, but rather a drum brake in the rear hub (depends on the car). Just let someone walk next to the vehicle in your driveway and slowly replicate the scenario, let them listen to each wheel.

Apart from the copper slip, also recommend you bevel the leading edge of the pads with a file, about 45 deg will do.
    Ag geez man, I just researched this a bit, you're right, this one does have a drum setup for the handbrake, thats weird, I would never have thought that. So ya, my test with the handbrake solved nothing. dammit.

Ive put ATE pads in.

ok, well, I'll do the copper slip thing first and take it from there.

Thanks again guys!
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

To be honest, when brake pads had asbestos in them, I never had noise from any of my Isuzu brakes. Now it sounds like a big truck is braking, everything brakes just fine. Just the dam noise, almost like a chirrrrrrr noise.
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

You often find that the compound on cheaper after market brake pads aren't complementary with that of the discs and the squealing never goes away. Sometimes it's just better to bite the bullet.
    Last edited by gavpike; 2020/02/11 at 03:56 PM.
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by gavpike View Post
    You often find that the compound on cheaper after market brake pads aren't complementary with that of the discs and the squealing never goes away. Sometimes it's just better to bite the bullet.
    Very true.
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by gavpike View Post
    Agreed, buy from the agents and fit them yourself.

If you can get pagid pads from Goldwaagen, they are excellent.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper
    2010 Bombardier Electrostar 746 kw - Gautrain (Daily Commute)

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

I also recently replaced the front disks and pads on my Prado, Powerbrake disks and Mintex pads.

Sad to say that i now also have squealing brakes causing a lot of frustration, but was advised not to use copper-slip on the pads. Instead they gave me some of their own "grease" to use as well as a rubber-like backing strip in the place of the metal plate. The grease did not solve the problem so i will reluctantly replace the metal backing plates with their rubber backing strips.

In their defence, they did say i must bring the vehicle in if this does not solve the problem.

According to them copper slip should not be used because it becomes watery at high temperatures and might run onto pads and discs reducing the efficiency of the brakes? Previous pads were replaced by Toyota and LOTS of copper slip was used. If all else fails i will have no choice than to try copper slip or even get genuine Toyota pads.