Land cruiser 76 gear ratios

Default Land cruiser 76 gear ratios

Hi folks

I’m considering swapping my Defender 90 for a cruiser 76 and I see conflicting stories about the changes that happened in the 2017 cruiser 76 in SA. Some say the gear ratio stayed the same in SA while others say the 5th gear was changed for lower RPM at highway speeds.

1. can anyone confirm whether the gear ratios stayed the same or changed in 2017?

2. If they stayed the same, I’m led to believe that a 33” tyre instead of the standard one achieves the desired result. Of course, that would then affect all the other ratios too though. Any recommendations? What are other owners doing?

3. Any other input or suggestions is welcome. This would be my first land cruiser. Have loved my defender but sometimes change is good too....

thanks!
    Last edited by EdgeCT; 2020/02/11 at 09:00 AM.

Default Re: Land cruiser 76 gear ratios

They stayed the same although some dealers and independents will change them for you to the new spec for around 20k.

If you donít tow it may be worth investigating.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Hi Edge, I own a 2014 76 V8. Yes its geared very low. 3000rpm gets you 125kph (gps) on 265/75R16 (31.6") tires.

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeCT View Post

1. can anyone confirm whether the gear ratios stayed the same or changed in 2017? Yes they stayed the same even on the new Namib editions.

2. If they stayed the same, Iím led to believe that a 33Ē tyre instead of the standard one achieves the desired result. Of course, that would then affect all the other ratios too though. Any recommendations? What are other owners doing? The ratios are very low so adding a 33" will bring up the ratios about 50% of what the new gearset will do. But you are swinging heavy rubber now and economy will suffer. Speedo will be out by a fair amount.

3. Any other input or suggestions is welcome. This would be my first land cruiser. Have loved my defender but sometimes change is good too.... You're going to love the grunt of the V8. Economy isn't so bad either. I'm averaging 7.3 km/l over the last 12k km I've owned the vehicle. Above 120kph those horses get thirsty. So keep at or below it. Enjoy making the best decision of your life thus far

thanks!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kenskind For This Useful Post:

Send me your number, i have done exactly what you are asking, can give you good details!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frikstervx200 For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: Land cruiser 76 gear ratios

Thanks very much for all the info guys, much appreciated.

Iím now considering a 2013 V8 Ď76 and trying to figure out what changes have been made since that model. But Iíll start another thread for that!

You will not score much with 33`s the are about the same as the stock 265/75/16`s
    35`s will give you the same RPM as the Ratio change. 2400rpm @ 120
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

I still think the snorkel intake on the driver side makes the v8 feel to rev higher because of the snorkel sucking sound.

If you compare the 4.5V8 with other large diesel 4x4`s it actually revs a bit lower. The 4.2 Cruiser 1HZ and 1HD are doing about the same rpm at 120 and nobody complains. Same with the 4.2 Diesel Patrols think they are about 3200rpm at 120.

When I first bought the 76 v8 I were sure that I was going to do a ratio change. My biggest concern is that it will mess up its towing ability. Fitting 35 inch tyres will have you at about the same ratio as the lower 5th. Down side is you will need a 2 inch lift to accommodate 35`s.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

I can concur re the comments made about 33" tyres not being much different from standard tyres...I am running 285/75 (33") on my V8 and not much difference...35" gets you the desired effect...but if travelling up in Africa chances of finding a 35" are pretty slim...
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 SW with extras
    2019 Jaguar Inkwe 4 Offroad Caravan

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trevor_Mathews For This Useful Post:

Thanks very much for all the info guys, much appreciated.

Iím now considering a 2013 V8 Ď76 and trying to figure out what changes have been made since that model. But Iíll start another thread for that!
    The 2013 and 2014 models still had the manual front locking hubs. This is a big plus. The auto hubs are finicky and known to give issues. The 2015 and later models get a lights on warning buzzer and extra stability control things. My 2014 model has manual hubs and no warning buzzer. But I'm fine with that.

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

Quote Originally Posted by kenskind View Post
    The 2013 and 2014 models still had the manual front locking hubs. This is a big plus. The auto hubs are finicky and known to give issues. The 2015 and later models get a lights on warning buzzer and extra stability control things. My 2014 model has manual hubs and no warning buzzer. But I'm fine with that.
    For about R60 for the parts amd a friends help I installed a lights on warning buzzer in my 76
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 SW with extras
    2019 Jaguar Inkwe 4 Offroad Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor_Mathews View Post
    For about R60 for the parts amd a friends help I installed a lights on warning buzzer in my 76
    Got the parts and the design lying in my parts bin... Got too many other projects that need attention now maybe one day I will make time... Probably shortly after I forget the lights on for the first time

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kenskind For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kenskind View Post
    That’s news to me about the extra “stability control things”! What was added/changed?

Thanks!
    Last edited by EdgeCT; 2020/02/25 at 06:31 PM.

the 33s make the speedo spot on and maybe a 100rpm drop and then you mileage counter under reads by 10 percent

Thatís news to me about the extra ďstability control thingsĒ! What was added/changed?

Thanks!
    https://www.leisurewheels.co.za/4x4-...-cruiser-70-2/

Ah seems I got confused with the Aussie models again. We didn't get VSC.

The cruiser wheel is got for sale is exactly the ones you need to bring the rpm down 120kmp @2400 rpm or some where close to that, it really helps a lot and makes a huge difference, i found it to have corrected the speedo to gps speed as-well ? Obviously a fuel saving as well.
    Send me a pm if you need more details!