Anyone recomend a place for rust proofing - Cape Town

Default Anyone recomend a place for rust proofing - Cape Town

Hi,

Would like to get the underside of my car rust proofed (spray/ paint on rubberized protective coating), anyone had a good experience with a company operating in Cape Town?

Don,t really want to get stuck into this myself using an over the shelf spray/ paint.
    Last edited by john, Defender; 2020/02/09 at 05:27 PM.

Default Re: Anyone recomend a place for rust proofing - Cape Town

I can highly recommend Anthony Zeeman, +27 83 441 8182. He works from the Maniac 4x4 premises in Montagu Gardens.
    2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 3.0 D-4D Melville and Moon seat covers, Gobi-X rock-sliders, Maniac4x4 front bumper, Safari snorkel, Rhinocab canopy, Tough Dog 40mm Suspension.
    2005 WJ JEEP Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD sold 2" Zone coil lift, Rancho 9000 shocks, 245/75/R16 Bighorn 764s, Rola cargo carrier, Escape Gear seat covers, Auto Technic "Bulli-Prop" DC propshaft, Maniac4x4 front bumper.
    BMW F30 320i M-Sport - daily drive

Thumbs up Re: Anyone recomend a place for rust proofing - Cape Town

Thanks, will check them out, and my side off the mountain too

I remember a Maniac pic of the NSRI bakkies somewhere online. They were also prepped there.

Quote Originally Posted by wtrlan View Post
    I can highly recommend Anthony Zeeman, +27 83 441 8182. He works from the Maniac 4x4 premises in Montagu Gardens.

Whatever you do, make sure it’s actually going to help, and not just “look cool”.

a lot of rubberissing and even powder coating actually leads to accelerated rust, especially where sea water isinvovled.

small, invisible cracks in the coating allow water to get in under the coating and then rust the metal away, and you only notice when the whole thing falls apart.

Hot dip galvanizing probably remains the best bet, but I doubt you want to strip your vehicle down bare to do this.

I would personally just apply a coating of waxoyl or even just spray the underside with parafin from time to time

2004 Defender 110 Td5

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    Whatever you do, make sure it’s actually going to help, and not just “look cool”.

a lot of rubberissing and even powder coating actually leads to accelerated rust, especially where sea water isinvovled.

small, invisible cracks in the coating allow water to get in under the coating and then rust the metal away, and you only notice when the whole thing falls apart.

Hot dip galvanizing probably remains the best bet, but I doubt you want to strip your vehicle down bare to do this.

I would personally just apply a coating of waxoyl or even just spray the underside with parafin from time to time
    Thanks for the info, will find out what the person use as not into 'looks' just something to stop the rust

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post

HOT DIP GALVANISING?

A colleague of mine in amanzimtoti, Natal did just that many years ago. Stripped his bakkie and galvanised the body and bin.

He couldnt get the vehicle back together again.
    Everything had warped to the point that he had to drill new holes to get the bolts back in (Guess where his bakkie proceeded to rust after this!)
    plus every flat panel had rows of ripples .
    He had a very distinctive and instantly recognisable (but not factory approved) bakkie
    Body panels too thin and size too big to dip in one go

Waxoyl extensively used on the natal south coast
    Last edited by Maartendeneef; 2020/02/13 at 09:13 AM.