FJ Cruiser ABS / VSC / TRC problem

Default FJ Cruiser ABS / VSC / TRC problem

Just came back from a trip on some bumpy roads...
    First I noticed that, while driving on tar, the cruise control light started flashing every now and then. Went past the shops and when I started the FJ again, the gear lever wouldn't come out of the Park position. The Slip Indicator and ABS warning lights stay on. Had to use the override button to get the gear lever out of park.
    At home I checked the ABS related fuses and that the wheel sensor plugs are still where they belong, all seems ok.

Will take the FJ to Toyota asap, but was wondering whether anybody has seen these symptoms before and might have an idea what the problem might be?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Default Re: FJ Cruiser ABS / VSC / TRC problem

After diving into the 'fuse" section of the owner's manual and reading on the internet, that the gear lever lock won't release if the brake lights aren't working, I checked those. Brake lights, all three, dead. Fuse #6 in the engine bay's fuse box called "STOP", for break lights, TC, VSC and shift lock system was blown. I checked the tow hook socket and found, apart from lots of salt road dust, there was a hair pin stuck in there, on the socket's rear (front facing ) side. I remember the auto electrician fiddling with a pin like that when they tried to sort out the wiring of that socket.
    I guess the salty dust with the hair pin made a short and blew the fuse.
    Cleaned the socket, re-connected the battery, started the engine and I was able to move the gear lever, but the two lights for ABS and slip indication were still on. After a few minutes idling, the lights went out and I was able to use the A-Trac and TC disengage buttons again.
    For now everything seems to work as it should, including the brake lights. Will have the tow hook socket wiring checked and sealed better.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

It's a shame you're so far from Gauteng - I have a brand new trailer wiring harness for an FJ lying unused in my garage...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to paulventer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by paulventer View Post
    It's a shame you're so far from Gauteng - I have a brand new trailer wiring harness for an FJ lying unused in my garage...
    I might come back to you for that.

Yesterday after driving a few km, the whole story started over again, fuse blown again. It's booked in with Toyota for tomorrow.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post

Yesterday after driving a few km, the whole story started over again, fuse blown again. It's booked in with Toyota for tomorrow.
    I had this on my first one - the whole module was replaced under warranty, someone else also had this exact problem here on the forum recently.

Edit: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ion-on-trailer
    Last edited by dirtshark; 2020/02/11 at 11:53 AM.
    FJC - Just Cruising

100% - let me know if you need it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to paulventer For This Useful Post:

Got the FJ back. Turns out that the guys who fitted the Frontrunner aux tank squeezed the wiring harness going to the rear lights and whatever ABS & TC components there are in the back. Over time the wires chafed through and now caused a short. Could have been worse, I guess.
    All sorted now.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Got the FJ back. Turns out that the guys who fitted the Frontrunner aux tank squeezed the wiring harness going to the rear lights and whatever ABS & TC components there are in the back. Over time the wires chafed through and now caused a short. Could have been worse, I guess.
    All sorted now.
    Had the ABS lights come on on my new cruiser DC. Took it then Toy . The guys that fitted the airbags did not protected the ABS wires and airbags mountings cut it off. Toyota however replaced the wire loom.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Had the ABS lights come on on my new cruiser DC. Took it then Toy . The guys that fitted the airbags did not protected the ABS wires and airbags mountings cut it off. Toyota however replaced the wire loom.
    Fitment centres...
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser