How to know when the power is back?





Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,403
    Thanked: 333

    Default How to know when the power is back?

    With loadshedding not always sticking to the schedule, how can I know when the power is back on since I am running a generator with a manual change over switch.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Age
    49
    Posts
    15,715
    Thanked: 3831

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Siren on the main supply

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Fraserburg
    Age
    60
    Posts
    774
    Thanked: 793

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    With loadshedding not always sticking to the schedule, how can I know when the power is back on since I am running a generator with a manual change over switch.
    Leave your light on in the room where you are. Immediate notice and can't be damaged by surges.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,403
    Thanked: 333

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    Leave your light on in the room where you are. Immediate notice and can't be damaged by surges.
    Ummm, it will be on in anycase with the gen running.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    46
    Posts
    66
    Thanked: 27

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Small light /buzzer combination bought from AC/DC
    Sometimes when not running the genny I will use the alarm so chose to wire the alarm with its own switch. I did a few boxes where I wired the buzzer to the change over switch just to keep things simple.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tony Knipe; 2020/02/08 at 11:20 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,000
    Thanked: 152

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Perhaps run a new light by your switch that is not linked to the generator circuit, but only to the mains so it would only come on when there is mains power.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension 8

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tesselaarsdal (dis inni Kaap!)
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,100
    Thanked: 1126

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Deleted as question posed had already been answered
    Last edited by EttiennedK; 2020/02/08 at 11:21 AM.
    "ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

    1959 SII 88"
    196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gauteng
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,152
    Thanked: 947

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Wire in a separate 1A circuit breaker from the incoming mains and run a cable connected to a light/buzzer/chime inside the house?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Fraserburg
    Age
    60
    Posts
    774
    Thanked: 793

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    Ummm, it will be on in anycase with the gen running.
    This was your question:-

    With loadshedding not always sticking to the schedule, how can I know when the power is back on since I am running a generator with a manual change over switch.


    You did not state the generator was supplying the room you were in.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,403
    Thanked: 333

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    This was your question:-



    You did not state the generator was supplying the room you were in.[/COLOR]
    Apologies. Should have stated gen is running everything except geyser.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    49
    Posts
    191
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Quote Originally Posted by ColeGP View Post
    Perhaps run a new light by your switch that is not linked to the generator circuit, but only to the mains so it would only come on when there is mains power.
    This is what I have too..

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Vaal or st lucia
    Age
    41
    Posts
    353
    Thanked: 190

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    see if the neighbors lights are back on

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    69
    Posts
    396
    Thanked: 62

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Ask the neighbours to let you know when the power has been restored.. (they will be really keen for you to stop the noise!)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,403
    Thanked: 333

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    Ask the neighbours to let you know when the power has been restored.. (they will be really keen for you to stop the noise!)
    Nahhhh they dont hear my gen ;-)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,403
    Thanked: 333

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Quote Originally Posted by vidalbum View Post
    see if the neighbors lights are back on
    Problem is we get loadshedding during the day as well.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    47
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Same set-up as Tony works for me. 2 LED lights wired to the change-over switch poles. From the mains light I ran a feed to the buzzer through a toggle switch. Flick the switch when Eishkom goes eish and when it miraculously returns the buzzer tells me to change back. Buzzer gets switched off until next time.

    All from ACDC Centurion. Dirt cheap.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200208-150956_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	557488
    VW Touareg V6 TDI 4XMOTION
    Audi Q5 3.0 TDI
    BMW R1200GSA (Buffel)

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Durbanville Cape Town
    Age
    37
    Posts
    268
    Thanked: 74

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Quote Originally Posted by HEINH View Post
    Same set-up as Tony works for me. 2 LED lights wired to the change-over switch poles. From the mains light I ran a feed to the buzzer through a toggle switch. Flick the switch when Eishkom goes eish and when it miraculously returns the buzzer tells me to change back. Buzzer gets switched off until next time.

    All from ACDC Centurion. Dirt cheap.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200208-150956_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	557488
    Does it come prebuilt or did you buy in parts? Very neat...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Strand
    Age
    66
    Posts
    449
    Thanked: 114

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Knipe View Post
    Small light /buzzer combination bought from AC/DC
    Sometimes when not running the genny I will use the alarm so chose to wire the alarm with its own switch. I did a few boxes where I wired the buzzer to the change over switch just to keep things simple.
    Agree with the above...........or just buy a 4x4 plug outlet with USB socket to charge phones, install on a outlet thats not on the generator, a small led is on while eskom power is on, and off when eskom power is off.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Age
    44
    Posts
    516
    Thanked: 604

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Turn generator off, switch back to Eksdom, if the song Hello darkness my old friend is still playing, the power is still off. Switch genny back on.
    A sure sign that there is in fact intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wartburg.
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,142
    Thanked: 610

    Default Re: How to know when the power is back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Knipe View Post
    Small light /buzzer combination bought from AC/DC
    Sometimes when not running the genny I will use the alarm so chose to wire the alarm with its own switch. I did a few boxes where I wired the buzzer to the change over switch just to keep things simple.
    I have exactly the same next to my change over switch, kids call it "The Duck"

    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •