Does this still count as a sidewall cut?

Default Does this still count as a sidewall cut?

TwT still claims things is a sidewall cut and the dont want to repair it. Name:  IMG-20200113-WA0015.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  36.0 KB
    2007 Prado VX 4.0 V6 - Tiny
    SOLD: 2006 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB - Die Valk

Default Re: Does this still count as a sidewall cut?

Its a Grabber, take it to a conti partner and they will do it- they might need to send it away.

i had a 2cm side wall cut which they fixed at some stage.

twt wants to sell you a new set of tires

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

It's the shoulder, or pretty close to it. I wouldn't want that fixed. Damage to the shoulder is worse than to the sidewall.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Thanks. Why is that? I can understand that a sidewall flex quite a lot, and therefore a plug might not be safe. But why is the shoulder worse?
    Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    It's the shoulder, or pretty close to it. I wouldn't want that fixed. Damage to the shoulder is worse than to the sidewall.
    2007 Prado VX 4.0 V6 - Tiny
    SOLD: 2006 Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB - Die Valk

Quote Originally Posted by Ritteling View Post
    Thanks. Why is that? I can understand that a sidewall flex quite a lot, and therefore a plug might not be safe. But why is the shoulder worse?
    It’s at the interface between the sidewall and the cap ??

I might or might not repair that. Depends on what vehicle it is on, what type of roads I travel on and where.

I certainly wouldn’t set out on my lifelong quest to cross Africa with it.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ritteling View Post
    the construction of the sidewall means it’s relatively strong, as long as the integrity isn’t compromised. Once cut, damages, it can easily continue to tear, causing a blow out. Thr flexing doesn’t let the plug fall out, the flexing allows the tear to keep getting bigger.

on the shoulder, were the radial steel plies of for thread surface are joined (vulcanizes) to the sidewall, a similar thing can happen. Especially since the two surfaces are of differing stiffness. If the tire casing starts to seperate along the shoulder, a blow out is almost guaranteed. This is normally also what happens to tires that have been weekend by running too low pressures and too much heat. The flexing at the shoulder cases the sidewall and the tread to seperate.

that being said, take it to someone else. The truck tire places are normally better at repairs anyway. I have never had a tire that TwT is willing to repair. I think their policy is to always sell you a new tire, and claim that your tire is not safe to repair/liability issue etc etc.

I have had standard plugs hold for 50k km after TwT said the tire can’t be repaired. in that case it was a hole in the tread surface though, caused by a screw.

plugging a hole on the shoulder is dodgy, but properly vulcanised, you could be okay.
    Last edited by RPiet; 2020/02/14 at 11:49 PM.