Advice on Ctek250sa/Smartpass please

Default Advice on Ctek250sa/Smartpass please

I turn for help/advice once again to the combined knowledge of all things on this Forum.

I have purchased a 2017 Prado VX and can now install an 85ah deep cycle battery in the engine compartment to run the fridge I have in the vehicle.
    I am planning to have a Ctek250sa installed at the same time. However it needs to also charge the 2 x 140ah batteries I have in my van.
    Should I also install a Smartpass for this bank of batteries , and if so , what difference would this make?
    I believe itís effectiveness might be limited by the output of the alternator (a number I cannot find anywhere , not that it would do me much good).

The vehicle would be driven daily so I plan to use the vehicle fridge as a freezer, while the fridge in the van would just be a fridge at around 5C or 6C.

I have solar panels for the both the vehicle and the van.
    We usually move every 4 days so that would be when the van batteries would get the boost from the vehicle.

I include the above info to give the overall picture but my basic question remains: do I need the Smartpass?
    Many thanks in advance.

Default Re: Advice on Ctek250sa/Smartpass please

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyMhs View Post
    I turn for help/advice once again to the combined knowledge of all things on this Forum.

..... can now install an 85ah deep cycle battery in the engine compartment to run the fridge I have in the vehicle.
    I am planning to have a Ctek250sa installed at the same time........
    I unfortunately can't offer assistance regarding the Smart Pass.

I do have experience with a Ctek250 dual in the engine bay.
    Unless you divert the temp sensor (contrary to manufacturer spec's) I will never install a Ctek 250 in the engine bay again. Ctek works fine when travelling at speed even in very hot conditions, but it has a protection / cut-out function which will ruin your holiday when travelling slowly (game viewing, deep sand / low range work etc) in fairly hot condtions (about 30 degrees ambient in Moremi during May). It picks up the under bonnet heat build up and cuts out. I have removed it from the engine bay the the loadbin (aux battery also in loadbin), and it works great.

I have seen installations where the Ctek250 was mounted against the firewall inside the cab of vehicles, purely because of the engine bay heat factor. In those cases the aux battery was mounted to the back of the engine bay (close to the firewall), keeping the wiring relatively short. Unfortunately none of these were Prado's.

From what I have read on the forum it appears that the WRND charger copes with the engine heat, but I have no experience.

Thanks Sebastian

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyMhs View Post
    Should I also install a Smartpass for this bank of batteries ,...
    I believe itís effectiveness might be limited by the output of the alternator (a number I cannot find anywhere , not that it would do me much good).

Thats correct . The smart pass basically bypass the ctek 250 to allow the alternator to charge the batteries at more then the max 20 amp of the ctek 250 till a certain stage then the ctek 250 takes over again. But it all depend on how much amp-hours you need to put back in the batteries and in what time, whether the smart pass will of any help or not.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

Thank you JLK