ASPW on intercoolers....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default ASPW on intercoolers....

Ok, so if you are having a bad day... here is something to watch...

Willem Louw
    Toyota Hilux D/C 3.0 D-4D 4x4, Full OME suspension, African Outback Alu-Top, Dual Battery, DIY Drawer System, National Luna 50L
    Venter Offroader Trailer

Default Re: ASPW on intercoolers....

Yeah I saw that yesterday. He really did not think it through
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Mechanical engineer with a 30% pass rate

You gotta be kidding!
    Routing hot engine bay air through the intercooler (rather than ambient air) is really a novel idea.

The only thing valuable in that video is to show how easy it is to open and close the bonnet.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

My intercooler is at the front!
    I will mount a scoop back to front for the hot air to escape!
    That will mean easier movement of air through the engine bay and less heat transferred through the fire wall and floor plates to the cab!
    Maybe engine will run a little cooler.

I think he just wants some more adsense money on YouTube wild statements like these usually generate lots of views...

Yeah that seals it... Guy is a moron

Or early april fools?

At first I though is this Casper de Vries in one of his comedy shows.

Then I realize he is being serious.

- air having passed radiator will be heated, as a radiator acts like a heat exchanger.
    - hot post radiator air would be sucked down out under the car - venture effect- this is why sports cars have diffusers at the back to use this air fro better road holding.

it would be fun though if comments on this video would encourage him to butcher a LC bonnet to try prove his theory

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

I often watch his content and think why on earth is there such vitriol directed towards him? I mean he makes beautiful travel shows, most of his opinions can be traced back to some facts even if your personal opinion might differ somewhat. Yes he may be quite dogmatic and have a bit of bravado in all the things he has done but on the whole his channel is entertaining ..... and then something like this goes up and peoples opinions make a lot more sense!

I am not an aerodynamics engineer and don't even drive a Land Cruiser but I am sure Toyota engineers put a lot of thought into the design...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LC INTC.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	557376

And for his racing car theory...well...
    There was some documentary on racing cars where they mentioned even the helmet of the driver is aerodynamically designed to improve airflow into the air intake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	557386

So if this was a vehicle without the intercooler inlet in the bonnet, does he think that the hot air just gets trapped in the engine bay?
    He may have forgotten that there’s a gaping big hole below the engine bay creating a vacuum. Bernoulli's theory… fast-moving air is at a lower pressure than slower-moving air. Air flows from high to low.

Sp reversing the intake will create another vacuum disturbing the airflow which is exactly what is not wanted.
    Last edited by LCamper; 2020/02/07 at 03:55 PM.

Air flows from low to high.
    Air behaves in a fluid manner, meaning particles naturally flow from areas of higher pressure to those where the pressure is lower.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post
    Air behaves in a fluid manner, meaning particles naturally flow from areas of higher pressure to those where the pressure is lower.
    yes, that's what I meant, thx.

first mistake is placing an intercooler on top of the motor, every thing thereafter is a mess.
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Quote Originally Posted by Leanercamper View Post
    yes, that's what I meant, thx.

He heard stories from the racing fraternity and got a bit muddled up. A top mount intercooler is a compromise, the inside of an engine bay is a very harsh area temperature wise and his theory of having a rear facing scoop works very well. On the Camaro we fitted the large scoop bonnet to help rid the engine bay from heat, the guys with the golfs put 20 mm spacers under the bonnet hinges to lift the whole rear of the bonnet and they don't even have under body protection.

We have aircon radiators as well as water radiators and some cooling for transmission oil as well as oil coolers all wanting real estate in the front of the vehicle, granted we have a huge and powerful fan pulling a lot of air through the front but believe me as far as efficiency goes it is not very high. Race cars get away with front mount intercoolers by mounting them low in the unused space below the bumper and ducting air through that or if it is a side mount cooler they go as far as stuffing the ducts with dry ice to cool the air even more.

Turning the scoop toward the rear of the vehicle will get it in to the low pressure area by the windscreen and the air would get out there, just a pity the air going out would be as hot as could be with all the coolers and radiators doing their best to get rid of their own bit of heat. Heat soak is one of the big enemies of turbo and super chargers, besides normal heat soak just the fact of pressurizing the air increases the temperature of the air and causing loss of power. The hi helix and such type of super chargers use intakes mounted above the bonnet to avoid ingesting hot air under the bonnet so without being disrespectfull Andew has heard a true story I am convinced he has the cat by the tail.

@ Anton, that intake is for the engine intake the cooling ducts are the huge ports on the side of the car, that ia where thy stuff the dry ice if it is very hot ambient

Name:  IMG_6339s.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  97.8 KB

Jy moet weet, nie dink jy weet
    Last edited by hbannink; 2020/02/07 at 04:10 PM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Problem is that guys that do have BScEng, or MSc or even Phd Eng behind their names usually have modelled this with CFD, then probably done quite a few tests to validate the CFD, then run these vehicles hard in places like upping ton, death valley, and dubai to validate that the heat flow is sufficient for the legal rated towing and running etc.

I am not sure why a journalist would think he knows better, but I guess, that like the tuning guys, they are all entitled to an opinion as long as they are willing to pick up the pieces if it all goes bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Leanercamper View Post
    So if this was a vehicle without the intercooler inlet in the bonnet, does he think that the hot air just gets trapped in the engine bay?
    He may have forgotten that there’s a gaping big hole below the engine bay creating a vacuum. Bernoulli's theory… fast-moving air is at a lower pressure than slower-moving air. Air flows from high to low.

Sp reversing the intake will create another vacuum disturbing the airflow which is exactly what is not wanted.
    Good day guys, and ASPW.

I am no expert with intercoolers, but could there be a big flat fan fitted under the intercooler on the Cruiser? That would form a high pressure area above it. Or does it have a fan or ducting of some sort underneath?

That could work, and counter ASPW's argument.
    Skihili

2019 Ford Ranger 2.2 DC 4x4 Auto
    Old school. QL is not an instructor.

Edit: Never mind...
    Last edited by SAND; 2020/02/07 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    I think he just wants some more adsense money on YouTube wild statements like these usually generate lots of views...
    nail on the head. This guy would sell his own mother for more YouTube views.

and he’s succeeded. All of us clicked and watched the garbage.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast