Aircon upgrade??

Default Aircon upgrade??

OK what I'm after is is there any aftermarket upgrade for the Air con unit for the 2.0l bi turbo in the Amarok, the reason is we have had 3 fail in the space of 5 yrs all of which happened on 40+ deg days, the rubber cush or clutck in the pully on the unit melts or just breaks in the case of the last one leaving you with no aircon and blowing hot air which is not ideal in an Aussie summer, the last one lasted only 16,000ks.

All 3 failures have happened at the time of year (summer) and on days of 40+ degs, the first two where replaced under warranty, this was we did ourselves.

We want to keep our ROK, but if there is no solution to this then we will have to regrettably move it on which is not what we want.

So has the brains trust in Sth Africa found any solutions to our problem, it has to be happening over there you do have a similar climate to us, is there another model aircon that can be used.

Baz.

Default Re: Aircon upgrade??

Generally speaking that unit is a safety device that stops your pump from failing which is a lot more expensive. The reason it fails is that your evaporater is freezing up which causes liquid to go back to the pump instead of gas and that locks the pump up.
    Evaporator is freezing for one of a couple of reasons. Bad airflow because you have an interior fan not running right.(control unit or dirty motor)
    or your pollen filter is dirty and not letting air through
    or the pollen filter has been removed or was out for a while at some stage and the evaporater has dust / dirt in the vanes which stops air from flowing over it properly and making it freeze
    or you try to run the system too cold with bad airflow or there is a temp sensor issue.
    Although those units also fail with age it should not happen this often so you most likely have an issue somewhere causing that.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    Generally speaking that unit is a safety device that stops your pump from failing which is a lot more expensive. The reason it fails is that your evaporater is freezing up which causes liquid to go back to the pump instead of gas and that locks the pump up.
    Evaporator is freezing for one of a couple of reasons. Bad airflow because you have an interior fan not running right.(control unit or dirty motor)
    or your pollen filter is dirty and not letting air through
    or the pollen filter has been removed or was out for a while at some stage and the evaporater has dust / dirt in the vanes which stops air from flowing over it properly and making it freeze
    or you try to run the system too cold with bad airflow or there is a temp sensor issue.
    Although those units also fail with age it should not happen this often so you most likely have an issue somewhere causing that.
    The aircon unit was new and installed by VW under warranty, the pully is the thing that fails, VW can't replace the pully only, they can only replace the whole unit so this time around we replaced the pully as the part is available as an aftermarket part, the aircon unit itself is fine it's the pully that is the culprit and VW reckon they can't get the pully as a seperate part so they replace the complete unit

The car is used mainly for off road touring so everything is changed on a regular basis, all filers, oils and so on and way above the factory service intervals.

When VW replaced the aircon unit it was checked over we had the air and pollen filter changed and has been again twice when we serviced the car, it was serviced just before Xmas as we were expecting to go away over the Xmas break, but that didn't happen.

Baz.

I recall some one mentioning that there is a clutch of some sorts in the alternator and that that can cause excess vibrations on the fanbelt that will eat the rubber on the aircon pulley when the aircon is under full load.

Not sire if this is the whole truth or part of it.

I also replaced my aircon pulley on around 235k km on the clock.
    I knew it had play on it bit just didnít get around to changing it until it sheared completely.
    No problems since with the new pulley.

Change the belt tensioner

Quote Originally Posted by Toybota View Post
    Change the belt tensioner
    Was done when they did the aircon last time.

Quote Originally Posted by WillemT View Post
    I recall some one mentioning that there is a clutch of some sorts in the alternator and that that can cause excess vibrations on the fanbelt that will eat the rubber on the aircon pulley when the aircon is under full load.

Not sire if this is the whole truth or part of it.

I also replaced my aircon pulley on around 235k km on the clock.
    I knew it had play on it bit just didnít get around to changing it until it sheared completely.
    No problems since with the new pulley.
    Haven't heard of that issue about the alternator, will investigate that when the AusAmaerok forum gets back, if it does or not probably better going for the international ROK forum.

235,000ks buggar me, we've done 3 in 140,000ks

Quote Originally Posted by Redback View Post
    Haven't heard of that issue about the alternator, will investigate that when the AusAmaerok forum gets back, if it does or not probably better going for the international ROK forum.

235,000ks buggar me, we've done 3 in 140,000ks
    I might be totally off-track here with the alternator. It's just strange that you have had to do 3 in that short timespan.
    My neigbour's amarok also has 180k km on the clock with no aircon issues. I know the pulleys tend to give problems, but not that much.
    Something else feels off.

JohnBOy on the forum helped me change out my tensioner for a more heavy duty part which was an option. I think the normal one runs a plastic pulley wheel and the HD has a metal pulley.

Also as mentioned look at the alternator pulley. It is fitted with a clutch and this can cause issues. There are quite a few youtube vids showing how to replace this on VW/Audi products.

Finally, I have taken to replacing filters every 10k including the pollen filter. It generally looks pretty iffy after 10K of mostly urban driving around johannesburg. I don't do much off road with this other than on the beach which is not very dusty, but we have taxi's (I use the word in the loosest possible definition) that drive down the pavement stirring up a lot of dust during busy traffic times, which gets injested through all filters.

If you park under trees and shrubs a lot you will also notice a lot of muck gets into the pollen filter. I know because I replaced the blower motor and had to rake out a few leaves.

In general I have always been super impressed with VW HVACs as they seem to perform better than many competitors.

I hope you find a fix to the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by WillemT View Post
    I might be totally off-track here with the alternator. It's just strange that you have had to do 3 in that short timespan.
    My neigbour's amarok also has 180k km on the clock with no aircon issues. I know the pulleys tend to give problems, but not that much.
    Something else feels off.
    You are kind of correct Willem. The alternator has a sort of directional free wheel pulley which eliminates a lot of vibration. Apparently they tend to seize and then transfer the vibration to other components, and can also cause premature serpentine belt failure.

Groetnis

Koos