Default Tata Indica relay chatter, clutch shudder

Good day all

We own a 2013 Tata Indica LGi with the following symptoms:

1. Starter relay chatters extensively at times. My best guess is that there must be a loose connection in the control wiring going to the starter relay, but since the vehicle doesn't have any trouble starting in general, it might not be the case. The chattering comes and goes at random times and intervals, but most commonly occurs when I depress the clutch, which had me thinking that the sensor on the clutch might be the problem (the one that senses that the clutch is depressed before allowing the engine to start). But again, it also sometimes chatters when I don't have the clutch depressed, ruling out that theory.

Has anybody ever had a similar issue and able to get the chattering to stop? I am about to purchase a new relay and swop it out and will let you know if it solves the problem, but I'm not very optimistic that the chattering is caused by a faulty relay.

2. The clutch shudders when reversing the vehicle, but not when pulling away forward. I have recently adjusted the tension of the clutch cable, but the shuddering was present before and after the adjustment, so I don't think the setting had anything to do with it. The vehicle has about 70000 km on the clock, so it might just be time to replace the clutch kit altogether.

Can anybody else confirm how long a clutch should last on these vehicles or if there is something else that I should consider being the problem?

Lastly, does anybody know where I can find a workshop manual for this vehicle? If I had a wiring diagram that I could use for fault finding, I should be able to easily trace the circuitry that is connected to the starter relay and diagnose the problem.

Thanking you in advance

Default Re: Tata Indica relay chatter, clutch shudder

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Good day all

We own a 2013 Tata Indica LGi with the following symptoms:

1. Starter relay chatters extensively at times. My best guess is that there must be a loose connection in the control wiring going to the starter relay, but since the vehicle doesn't have any trouble starting in general, it might not be the case. The chattering comes and goes at random times and intervals, but most commonly occurs when I depress the clutch, which had me thinking that the sensor on the clutch might be the problem (the one that senses that the clutch is depressed before allowing the engine to start). But again, it also sometimes chatters when I don't have the clutch depressed, ruling out that theory.

Has anybody ever had a similar issue and able to get the chattering to stop? I am about to purchase a new relay and swop it out and will let you know if it solves the problem, but I'm not very optimistic that the chattering is caused by a faulty relay.

2. The clutch shudders when reversing the vehicle, but not when pulling away forward. I have recently adjusted the tension of the clutch cable, but the shuddering was present before and after the adjustment, so I don't think the setting had anything to do with it. The vehicle has about 70000 km on the clock, so it might just be time to replace the clutch kit altogether.

Can anybody else confirm how long a clutch should last on these vehicles or if there is something else that I should consider being the problem?

Lastly, does anybody know where I can find a workshop manual for this vehicle? If I had a wiring diagram that I could use for fault finding, I should be able to easily trace the circuitry that is connected to the starter relay and diagnose the problem.

Thanking you in advance
    Hi Egon...my Tata Indica LSI also has the clutch shudder...seems to be a common problem on the Tata....
    And then I have no starter relay issues but when I stop or just wanna move forward slowly the engine goes into hunting mode like the rpm keeps going up and down causing an jerk like motion at idle when driving slow...any info on how to solve this problem would be appreciated...
    Then on my front top shock mountings there's plenty of up and down knocking ...where can I find those small bearings between the shock mounting and shock top cover...?

Quote Originally Posted by John.oosthuizen95 View Post
    Hi Egon...my Tata Indica LSI also has the clutch shudder...seems to be a common problem on the Tata....
    And then I have no starter relay issues but when I stop or just wanna move forward slowly the engine goes into hunting mode like the rpm keeps going up and down causing an jerk like motion at idle when driving slow...any info on how to solve this problem would be appreciated...
    Then on my front top shock mountings, there's plenty of up and down knocking ...where can I find those small bearings between the shock mounting and shock top cover...?
    Hi John

I recently burnt the clutch a bit which seems to have lessened the shudder. Probably took quite a bit of life off of it but for now its worth it.

We have the same problem with the revs going up and down causing the engine to die frequently, especially when cold. My temperature gauge also doesn't seem very reliable. I ran a diagnostic and the fault code that I got suggests that the engine coolant temperature sensor is faulty.

This might cause the ECU to be confused on whether to run in an open or closed-loop state and die off or intermittently search for an optimal fuel mixture. I am yet to replace the temperature sensor to see if it solves the problem. I also want to check whether the thermostat isn't perhaps stuck in the open position as the gauge suggests that the engine is always running cold.

With regards to parts, I tracked down a place that sells parts for Tatas and other "cheap" cars. I can't recall the name now, but know there is a branch somewhere in Boksburg and also elsewhere in the Johannesburg area. I will search for the name and let you know if I find it.
    Last edited by Egon; 2020/02/18 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Hi John

I recently burnt the clutch a bit which seems to have lessen the shudder. Probably took quite a bit of life off of it, but for now its worth it.

We have the same problem with the revs going up and down causing the engine to die frequently, especially when cold. My temperature gauge also doesnt seem very reliable. I ran a diagnostic and the fault code that I got suggests that the engine coolant temperature sensor is faulty.

This might cause the ECU to be confused whether to run in an open or closed loop state and die off or intermittently search for an optimal fuel mixture. I am yet to replace the temperature sensor to see if it solves the problem. I also want to check whether the thermostat isnt perhaps stuck in the open position as the gauge suggests that the engine is always running cold.

With regards to parts, I tracked down a place that sells parts for Tatas and other "cheap" cars. I can't recall the name now, but know there is a branch somewhere in Boksburg and also elsewhere in the Johannesburg area. I will search for the name and let you know if I find it.
    Just a follow-up on my previous post:

Spares places that sell Tata parts that I could find in the JHB area are:

MPDSA (Mandarin Parts Distributors) - They have several branches all over the country and I have heard that they can get almost anything.
    Tata-Ma Spares: Base in Florida, their website is spares4tata co za. I also heard that they can source a wide range of parts.

A Google search also brought up French Spare Parts, who advertise that they supply new and used spare parts for a wide range of cars, including Tata. They are based in Pretoria.

Thanks .....mych appreciated