LT230 Intermediate shaft seal Mod - Page 2





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    56
    Posts
    553
    Thanked: 348

    Default Re: LT230 Intermediate shaft seal Mod

    I have had my box done with the steel bush pressed in. Been ok for more than a year now.

    If you shorten the shaft i think it will damage the housing in the long run.

    Has anyone ever tried a quad ring?
    Me Defender TD5 110 (Betty Boob)
    Swambo Defender TD5 90 (Komba)
    VW Caddy (MINIROK)

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    38
    Posts
    448
    Thanked: 80

    Default Re: LT230 Intermediate shaft seal Mod

    Has anyone considered cutting a second groove for a second o-ring on the outside of the original one?
    I feel reluctant because the first already not holding up.
    ONE LIFE!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,696
    Thanked: 521

    Default Re: LT230 Intermediate shaft seal Mod

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildkyker View Post
    Has anyone considered cutting a second groove for a second o-ring on the outside of the original one?
    I feel reluctant because the first already not holding up.
    Same issue, higher steel to aluminium contact stress will increase fretting. There are these two issues, one is the "collapse" of the original O-ring after time, easy to replace the O-ring in situ with a better one, but it does not help if fretting of the housing have occured. First solve the fretting.
    '89 LR 110 V8

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dowerglen
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,163
    Thanked: 675

    Default Re: LT230 Intermediate shaft seal Mod

    Just a question, I do not know the L230 case, and I understand the insert has been done with relative success, but why would the steel insert add any value over time as physically compared to the original intermediate gear shaft, I mean, the shaft is steel acting against aluminium, the insert is steel, acting against the same aluminium, is it just the increase in overall "intermediate shaft diameter" as a sum of itself and the sleeve wall thickness that decreases the risk of the aluminium case bore deforming??

    Yes, I understand that if the bore has gone offround the rebore and insert will resolve the out of round scenario, but longterm??
    Last edited by Marcochezzi; 2020/02/19 at 10:24 AM.
    Every dog has its day, and those with broken tails have their weak-ends...

    1976 CJ-7, 400CI + Holley EFI, Tera-Low 3,15:1 twin stick, ARB's front & rear, oil leaks & plenty more....

    All my other petrol burners are boring....

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    New Germany
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,140
    Thanked: 450

    Default Re: LT230 Intermediate shaft seal Mod

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcochezzi View Post
    Just a question, I do not know the L230 case, and I understand the insert has been done with relative success, but why would the steel insert add any value over time as physically compared to the original intermediate gear shaft, I mean, the shaft is steel acting against aluminium, the insert is steel, acting against the same aluminium, is it just the increase in overall "intermediate shaft diameter" as a sum of itself and the sleeve wall thickness that decreases the risk of the aluminium case bore deforming??

    Yes, I understand that if the bore has gone offround the rebore and insert will resolve the out of round scenario, but longterm??
    the increased surface area of steal sleeve Bush in the housing should be able to take more load forces
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to clivemd For This Useful Post:


  7. #26
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,696
    Thanked: 521

    Default Re: LT230 Intermediate shaft seal Mod

    Valid question Marco.
    The intermediate shaft pin is anchored on the one side, and free to move axialy on the other side. This is to allow for the different rates of thermal expansion between the steel pin and the aluminium housing. This requires a slide fit of the pin in the housing, and micro movement due to the expansion and contraction of components during operation and temperature changes. This is then the cause of fretting wear (the wear of material caused by small relative movement while under high contact loads) of the softer housing bore for the pin. This the causes oil seeping past the o-ring and also accelerated wear on the o-ring.
    The solution to this problem is to press a new steel bush into the housing supporting the intermediate gear pin end. The movement is still between the pin and its new bushing, but because the bush material is harder the fretting wear is greatly reduced. The steel bush, being a press fit into the suitably machine housing hole, does not have any movement relative to the housing, thus no fretting. The housing, without the fretting, is more than capable of supporting the loads via the press fit bush without further trouble.
    Attached a picture of the LT230 sectioned, also a picture of the bush pressed into a housing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LT230.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	558806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LT230 Sleeve4.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	762.8 KB 
ID:	558808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LT230.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	320.9 KB 
ID:	558809
    Last edited by Mike N; 2020/02/19 at 11:55 AM. Reason: added some notation to pic
    '89 LR 110 V8

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:


  9. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dowerglen
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,163
    Thanked: 675

    Default Re: LT230 Intermediate shaft seal Mod

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Valid question Marco.
    The intermediate shaft pin is anchored on the one side, and free to move axialy on the other side. This is to allow for the different rates of thermal expansion between the steel pin and the aluminium housing. This requires a slide fit of the pin in the housing, and micro movement due to the expansion and contraction of components during operation and temperature changes. This is then the cause of fretting wear (the wear of material caused by small relative movement while under high contact loads) of the softer housing bore for the pin. This the causes oil seeping past the o-ring and also accelerated wear on the o-ring.
    The solution to this problem is to press a new steel bush into the housing supporting the intermediate gear pin end. The movement is still between the pin and its new bushing, but because the bush material is harder the fretting wear is greatly reduced. The steel bush, being a press fit into the suitably machine housing hole, does not have any movement relative to the housing, thus no fretting. The housing, without the fretting, is more than capable of supporting the loads via the press fit bush without further trouble.
    Attached a picture of the LT230 sectioned, also a picture of the bush pressed into a housing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LT230.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	558806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LT230 Sleeve4.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	762.8 KB 
ID:	558808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LT230.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	320.9 KB 
ID:	558809
    Gotcha!!, thank you for that great explanation Mike N.. My "all gear only" transfercase experience is on DANA models, which are all cast Iron & steel intermediate shaft, so no issues there , yet... I did machine the intermediate gear and new shaft for taper roller bearing functionality as opposed to the thrust washer principle they use, in order to stop the intermediate shaft wear so prone to happen on those cases...
    Every dog has its day, and those with broken tails have their weak-ends...

    1976 CJ-7, 400CI + Holley EFI, Tera-Low 3,15:1 twin stick, ARB's front & rear, oil leaks & plenty more....

    All my other petrol burners are boring....

  10. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fourways Gardens
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,571
    Thanked: 626

    Default Re: LT230 Intermediate shaft seal Mod

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Valid question Marco.
    The intermediate shaft pin is anchored on the one side, and free to move axialy on the other side. This is to allow for the different rates of thermal expansion between the steel pin and the aluminium housing. This requires a slide fit of the pin in the housing, and micro movement due to the expansion and contraction of components during operation and temperature changes. This is then the cause of fretting wear (the wear of material caused by small relative movement while under high contact loads) of the softer housing bore for the pin. This the causes oil seeping past the o-ring and also accelerated wear on the o-ring.
    The solution to this problem is to press a new steel bush into the housing supporting the intermediate gear pin end. The movement is still between the pin and its new bushing, but because the bush material is harder the fretting wear is greatly reduced. The steel bush, being a press fit into the suitably machine housing hole, does not have any movement relative to the housing, thus no fretting. The housing, without the fretting, is more than capable of supporting the loads via the press fit bush without further trouble.
    Attached a picture of the LT230 sectioned, also a picture of the bush pressed into a housing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LT230.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	558806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LT230 Sleeve4.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	762.8 KB 
ID:	558808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LT230.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	320.9 KB 
ID:	558809
    Hi Mike, with the welch plug the entire contact surface (assuming the o ring leaks eventually) would now be lubricated. Would this not eliminate further fretting?

    Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad


    Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

  11. #29
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,696
    Thanked: 521

    Default Re: LT230 Intermediate shaft seal Mod

    Even with an O-ring the whole surface is lubricated :-) But no, lubrication help a bit, but seeing how the housings wear both inside and outside the O-ring, its not enough.
    '89 LR 110 V8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •