Cheapies !!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheapies !!!

Default Cheapies !!!

I had a crappy experience with BFG muds and a good one with Pirelli scorpions.

Time to change tyres though, the Scorpions are pretty much done with 47 000 on them. Maybe I could have squeezed a few more but by the time I do, tyre prices will have gone up again. I paid around 1800 ZAR for the Pirelli's now they are around 2200 if not on special.

I have noticed that there are some made in China brands around and did a little digging.

The Haohua tyre company in China is putting out.

Lanvigator
    Aplus
    Compasal

and Royal Black. Further digging shows a European connection. http://kyotojapan-royalblack.com

The Royal black brand is a joint Japan/Holland/China venture

and I now note that some of the brand name suppliers like HQ and TWT are starting to stock them or at least advertise them. I had to go to Alberton and popped into my local HiQ to have a look.

For the price, they don't look like a bad tyre and across all of the brand names they look like they come out of the same mould. Making a difference of 2-3 000 ZAR across a purchase of four or five might be worth while.

So I took the chance and put on 4 Royal Black AT's. They look nice enough and we noticed an immediate difference in feel on the rd. They feel a little softer than the Scorpions and that translates into what feels like better grip. Time will tell. At less than R7 000 all in we did not feel bad about the purchase. They are OWL so you can have them either way with the lettering

http://www.royalblacktyre.com/product_9_ROYALAT.html
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Default Re: Cheapies !!!

Thanks Paul.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Powertrac Powerlander also falling under the same banner

http://www.revolution4x4.co.za/shop/...lander-terrain
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    I had a crappy experience with BFG muds and a good one with Pirelli scorpions.

Time to change tyres though, the Scorpions are pretty much done with 47 000 on them. Maybe I could have squeezed a few more but by the time I do, tyre prices will have gone up again. I paid around 1800 ZAR for the Pirelli's now they are around 2200 if not on special.

I have noticed that there are some made in China brands around and did a little digging.

The Haohua tyre company in China is putting out.

Lanvigator
    Aplus
    Compasal

and Royal Black. Further digging shows a European connection. http://kyotojapan-royalblack.com

The Royal black brand is a joint Japan/Holland/China venture

and I now note that some of the brand name suppliers like HQ and TWT are starting to stock them or at least advertise them. I had to go to Alberton and popped into my local HiQ to have a look.

For the price, they don't look like a bad tyre and across all of the brand names they look like they come out of the same mould. Making a difference of 2-3 000 ZAR across a purchase of four or five might be worth while.

So I took the chance and put on 4 Royal Black AT's. They look nice enough and we noticed an immediate difference in feel on the rd. They feel a little softer than the Scorpions and that translates into what feels like better grip. Time will tell. At less than R7 000 all in we did not feel bad about the purchase. They are OWL so you can have them either way with the lettering

http://www.royalblacktyre.com/product_9_ROYALAT.html

Fitted a brand new set of Royal Black 245.75.15 AT's end 2017. Drove to Durbs next day in howling rain, from JHB. My 265.75.15 Firestone ATX had better grip, despite being old AF but still 90% tread. Only swapped out because ATX's delaminated. Were 2001 manufactured date. Never noticed when I bought the bakkie. 2,5 DC Drifter.
    Sold the 15' set, a year later with 23 000 k's on. Still looked brand new. Maybe a very hard compound or deeper thread pattern?
    However, one tyre was oval. Badly so. Tyre shop ( franschised place who always had my business, no more ) had 1000000's of excuses. After running ATX's, any vibration seems like a holiday. Only noticed when another tyre shop could not get it balanced. Tried various rims, same story. Looked like an egg on balancing machine. Wheels were diligently rotated at around 7000 k's and balanced-ish fine. Idiots operating balance machine never bothered to report that they had fitted 400 grammes of lead.
    Fitted Conti Cross Contact 16", improved fuel consumption and zero vibes. About 1,5 years in, no issues.
    99% tar and unladen

SWAMBO's platkar also had some obscure chink brand on, I forget the make, lasted less than 15 000 k's. Fresh production batch, well maintained. Fitted Goodyear, over 60 000 and still good to go. Was not that much more expensive.

Not a fan of this chink stuff.

Hope you have better luck.
    Last edited by Bargain_Hunter; 2020/02/06 at 12:08 PM. Reason: I forgot a detail
    2005 Drifter DC SLE Tdi with blown radiator, 250 000 kms
    2003 Fiat Doblo 1,9 diseasel non turbo. Because it's already a monkster... 107 000 kms
    2006 Fiesta tdci, because we all need a smoking platkar. 291 000 k's and still going strong
    2005 Hondknaai Atos, lower mileage than a kloosterkoek. 151 000 kms
    @ Dec 2019
    Ex:
    List longer than Jules Street used car dealers' stock sheet....

www.imars.co.za Also on insta and facebook @imars.co.za

The one thing I do not compromise on, is tires. As I use separate rims and tires when off-roading, I will look at cheaper options for that only. I'm not saying the most expensive but proven name brands. I have Pirelli all terrain as well as muds. The have not let me down yet.
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------
    Swart Tires wat ek self gekoop het
    Pull over wat my ouma gebrei het
    Vensters waar deur ek kan sien
    Engine voor
    Exhaust agter

Looking forward to your updates Stranger. As they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

My dad has been on these “cheapies” for a number of years

First Nankang. Then that got too expensive

Now on Sailum. Gets at least 70k per set and he does a lot of gravel. And you can buy 2 sets of these for one set of Grabbers as an eg

He is very happy
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Well my Dunlop AT3m probably also qualifies as cheapies then. Paid just under R6k for a set of 4 265/65/17's in August last year.

Done about 10 000 km so far, including Sani Pass and a couple of rough EC backroads and no problems whatsoever.

So far I am very happy with them.

Further research shows that these guys do OTR.

Now there is a demanding bunch, if you are paying 100's of thousands for a tyre, the manufacturer better know his stuff or your name is muck very quick. Let's hope that tech knowledge has passed down to the AT's .

Thanks Estee, appreciate the comments.

Pajtu sits on the driveway more than I like but is coming up 50 000kms since I bought so a new set of takkies is not out of line.

PS, the solar panel battery charger works a treat.

BMW R1200R

I remember Nankang being one of those "you might risk your life" cheapies, around 10 years ago. Had the Nankang Mudstar on my 60 series Cruiser. Noisy bunch, with the tread pattern of the old Maxxis Bighorns. But the set lasted me 8+ years, around 50k km and still had about 6 mm tread left. Unlike other tyres of well known brands I had, these Mudstars didn't show any sign of ageing yet, eg the fine radial cracks close o the rim. I only replaced them because I was getting worried about their age.
    Had the Nankang AT FT-7 on my bakkie, also a very decent tyre, not only for the price back then.

There are several brands, Hankkok and Nankang being 2 of them, which started off as "cheapies" and are now well established in the market. Lots of farmers here have changed from BFG to Nankang, first of all they got less punctures, the tyres lasted just as long (on gravel roads) and the Nankangs were half the price of the BFG.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

When I traded that Prado v6 last year it had new "Landwind" tyres on......I just never bothered or had the need to replace them. Very quiet, VERY good grip, I must say I was very very impressed with those China tyres.

And my Client also happy, the tyres have maybe done 30 000 km now and no issues.

So.………..ja.

Then again, if I had to buy a set of 4 tyres, I probably will think twice before saving , say, R 2000 on a set of Chinas vs , say, Coopers...…...dunno why, but I guess I'd just feel more comfy with a known brand.

………...Remember what Kia made way back in 2000/2001/2002?? Those crap cars?? The Shuma, etc etc?? Look where they are now...….
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

I have always used Goodyear wranglers and never had a bad day with them. Damaged sidewall on my Mazda and fitted spare wheel which has never been used since new (2003) the tyre is 17 years old and show no difference in wear than the new ones fitted. I get about 125k on a set of them tar and off road use. Also don't break the bank either. Prado has a new set of Dunlop Grantrek on. 35k so far and no real signs of wear. Been good offroad. Got a puncture on tar road, picked up a screw. Will see how they last

I have been using Wranglers for many years and never had a issue, they worked hard as we towed a Echo 4 all over the country.
    In 3-4 decades we had about 5 or 6 punctures on the Wranglers

For about 15 000 km had Dunlop AT3 on the 2.5 Ranger, no issues (no punctures).
    Stuck the AT3s on as the 2.5 Ranger was to be sold soon.
    It stuck to the road in wet and off road not much difference to the Wranglers.

Switched to Coopers on the 3.2 Ranger, approx 60 000 km on now (OD at 144700 km now on the 3.2).
    Pieces broken out, side wall damage on 3 of them and left front now has two punctures on the side wall - one due to Drie Doring bossie in the Kgalagadi other puncture was tar road just where the tread starts.

Cost of Coopers a bit expensive compared to Wranglers.

Two of the Coopers will be replaced by Wranglers beginning March as the Kgalagadi trip starts in March.
    Will replace the other Coopers when the tread wears down a bit on them (guess about another 20-30 000 km).
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

I must say I’m surprised you got such low milage out of the pirrelis. I scorpion atr have always been tires I thought pretty highly of, I expect a tire to do at least 80k km

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    I must say I’m surprised you got such low milage out of the pirrelis. I scorpion atr have always been tires I thought pretty highly of, I expect a tire to do at least 80k km
    Some seriously hard mileage done on a variety of surfaces and at different pressures. Gweta to Kubu for example, you start off deflating for sand and then find hard pack and then pan dust. That 50kms from Tosca to Bray border post is a bugger. Graded it is a pleasure, if not it is 50 kms of horrible corrugations that would beat up any tyre

BMW R1200R

Here is the first thing I have noticed

The Pirelli's picked up small stones that would be gripped by the tread pattern. More than once I would have to pick them out of the tyre as they made an annoying noise.

These Royals are not doing that.

BMW R1200R

I have Windforce Catchforce M/T on my 96 D1 and GT Radial Adventuro M/T on the 3dr 98. The GT's are noisy with plenty of grip on or off road. The Windforce on the 5dr are not as noisy on tar and offer awesome grip when I do off road driving. I don't do much more than 110km/h and I slow down for corners so I can't really comment on just how good on road grip is or isn't. No puntures or other damage except where the body sliced the rears before I cut the arches. At the price I paid I will not complain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190414_171623.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	367.9 KB 
ID:	559751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190414_115402.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	403.8 KB 
ID:	559752  
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

Can't speak as to All Terrain and Mud Terrain, but I have a set of Habilead on my Corsa LDV. Done 42000km and they have about 3mm of legal tread left. Fitted 2 Durun's on a fleet Corolla. When it came into my shop again, I checked the history: 70000km on the front. No alignment done (well, at my shop) and no rotation.

That's impressive for a Chinese tyre...

A lot of the reputeable companies are also importing these days. TI Autobrands (Importers of Yokohama and Hankook) also import Grenlander and GT Champiro. Lombaard (Importers of Kumho) also import Goodride. Stamford (Importers of Falken) also import Black Rhino and Sumo Firenza etc.
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    My dad has been on these “cheapies” for a number of years

First Nankang. Then that got too expensive

Now on Sailum. Gets at least 70k per set and he does a lot of gravel. And you can buy 2 sets of these for one set of Grabbers as an eg

He is very happy
    Jip, I remember when Nankang and Hankook were considered "cheapies"and "china tyres". Now we can't pay them. Am currently running Nankang MT, got a quote the other day to start preparing for replacements, now 5500 per tyre!! (in 35"s). Definately not a cheapie anymore.
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE

Quote Originally Posted by Danie S View Post
    Two of the Coopers will be replaced by Wranglers beginning March as the Kgalagadi trip starts in March.
    Will replace the other Coopers when the tread wears down a bit on them (guess about another 20-30 000 km).
    Just put two Wranglers on yesterday, shopped around a bit and TyreHouse came in at R1900 each excl.
    Cost for two fitted came in at a total of R4370 all inclusive.
    That is an acceptable price.
    265/65/17 Adventures, the Duratrac were R500 more each
    Tyres dated 4319 at Tyrehouse, quite impressed at service and people there.
    They will definitely get my business again.

Found one other supplier that came in at same price but tyre were dated 2318, he was willing to drop the price more - I declined.
    Last edited by Danie S; 2020/03/07 at 12:50 PM.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast